Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
With the way Edler and Tanev are playing against opposing top lines, who cares if they don't produce offensively. Sedins have disappeared from the scoresheet and we need more from D-men that are getting easier assignments.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
When Hammer comes back if Bieksa is still stinking up a storm... I would like to see how these combos go ,For the sake of doing something not done before and hoping it works (unless a trade is made for Defense)

Hamhuis. Tanev
Edler. Weber
Who cares. Bieksa

See if Edler's improved play means he can carry a pair... and see if Weber can help pick up offence...

Hamhuis Tanev should be should shut down any line in the game... and who knows they might not be to bad in the O zone...

Anyways if we keep the same old D pairs because we know what we will get then we will get what we have the last two seasons

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I can't imagine there is a defensive pairing in the league playing any better defensively than Edler/Tanev right now. They're eating up and spitting out the best players in the world. It's been a huge reason for any success the team has had. It would be crazy to break them up.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ughh the problem with our fan base is it takes to long to realize these things. Alex Edler can't play defense...period. The series against the kings when we won the presidents trophy and got knocked out in the first round 90% of the goals given up were by Edler... Pinching at wrong times, missing assignments, delay of game penalties. We should have shipped him out then but our fan base loved him and gillis did what the fan base wanted so we were doomed. He can't play defense 1st goal in Dallas game tonight another example.

I don't really understand what you've been watching this year, Alex Edler has been brilliant defensively this year, absolutely brilliant.

Have you ever played defense before? How the **** was Edler at fault for that goal, that was all on Lack. Edler and Tanev played it near perfectly.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I can't imagine there is a defensive pairing in the league playing any better defensively than Edler/Tanev right now. They're eating up and spitting out the best players in the world. It's been a huge reason for any success the team has had. It would be crazy to break them up.

Yes. Better increase their ToI to deal with depth problems than splitting them up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yup.

And as the person above just said, play them more if anything. Tanev can be up at 23-24 minutes.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Love his physical play this year. He's not chasing hits anymore, but is getting himself into position for his classic reverse body check.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
He played 28 minutes last night, 6 more than Tanev. He's been amazing this year. I would play both him and Tanev 24 minutes a night and keep the third pair down to about 16. They have simply been phenomenal this year. Didn't see any dangerous opportunities yesterday, outside of the powerplay, from the leading scorer in the NHL, Benn, and Spezza.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Yes... Although what is the other option?

Hamhuis Bieksa and Edler Tanev... that is a solid two D pairs IF and when Hamhuis gets his timing back and Bieksa plays like he has in years past... Then the BEST we get is solid Defence... Next to no offense from the back...

It's starting to get annoying that management is so conservative and never taking a risk... This team would never put Burns on the wing... The biggest risk we have seen in three years buy two sets of managers is moving Hansen to the top line on about 18 different occasions

I would expect Hamhuis and Tanev to easily match the Edler Tanev pairing... In both Defense and surprisingly Offence as well... Then roll the dice on Edler Weber... and give Weber a chance to move the puck...

That or trade for a guy that has already proven to be an offensive D man and let that guy do it...

Or as suggested by others above me... Ride our best pair like a prime Chara and stay last in D points for teams that are not absolute ****

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He played 28 minutes last night, 6 more than Tanev. He's been amazing this year. I would play both him and Tanev 24 minutes a night and keep the third pair down to about 16. They have simply been phenomenal this year. Didn't see any dangerous opportunities yesterday, outside of the powerplay, from the leading scorer in the NHL, Benn, and Spezza.

At the same time how dangerous has the D looked with the puck

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
The decision was between Ehrhoff and Bieksa and we goofed.

Edler Ehrhoff
Hamhuis Tanev

Now that is a formidable top 4.

Justin Disease

Jan 28, 2010
Montréal, Canada
This is an awful analysis. Alex Edler was spoon fed time offensive zone starts and power play time with the twins, which obviously inflated his production. The Alex Edler of this year is carrying the play on a shutdown pairing playing against the NHL's elite. I don't know what the **** you're going on about with Gill, because you're out of your mind if you think that these two players would deliver similar results.

I'll consider that you get the fact that I was being sarcastic concerning Hal Gill. What I am saying here is that Edler is having a role that is obviously not meant for him. If he's a defensive defensemen, he should not be on the 1st wave of the PP. He's there because there is no one else.

GOALS
Dennis Wideman : 10 goals
Sami Vatanen : 9 goals
Brent Burns : 9 goals
Whole Canucks defensive squad : 9 goals
Mark Giordano : 8 goals
PK Subban : 8 goals

Kevin Shattenkirk : 27 points
Edler/Vanev/Hamhuis/Bieksa : 27 Points
Sami Vatanen : 24 points
Brent Burns : 24 points

Giordano/Brodie/Wideman combine for 24 goals 59 assists and 83 points (!!) I guess they will cool off at some point, but wow.

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Going to bump this... Simply put, Edler has been this years MVP. The work he's done on the backend have been fantastic, and now that they've put Burrows in front of the net, he's got more space on the point and is having more success on the PP.

Those of you who were calling him a terrible defenseman and thought we should trade him when his value was very low.... time to eat some crow.

arsmaster*

Going to bump this... Simply put, Edler has been this years MVP. The work he's done on the backend have been fantastic, and now that they've put Burrows in front of the net, he's got more space on the point and is having more success on the PP.

Those of you who were calling him a terrible defenseman and thought we should trade him when his value was very low.... time to eat some crow.
Hard to give an mvp but the more I think about it youre probably right.

The team needs edler to be this good and he's been full value.

I love that he's back to being that physical guy again. He's reading the play so much better this year, it truly does look like Torts broke him.

He's probably the most important player/reason for the bounce back of the team. If last years Edler was playing we'd be in the crapper with Hamhuis out.

Glad we didn't trade him like I had wanted to although I was always looking for value not a bag of pucks.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Something that wasn't happening a lot last year is the puck is quickly being brought out of the zone. A good feature of the Canucks defense is it's ability to skate and pass, and for whatever reason with Torts, these strengths were being suppressed in his system. Obviously when you can turn the puck up the ice quickly, you're playing to Edler and Tanev's strengths. His flaws get magnified when his strengths are suppressed, of course.

The return of his physical game is huge, though. Those suspensions last year obviously didn't help. I hated the LA game, but I marvelled when he dumped Kopitar onto the ice during the PK. Didn't think you could do that to Kopitar.

I was huge believer of Edler last summer, so it feels really good to be right... but I really should really eat some crow regarding Tanev. I really did think his ability to play in a top pairing was a product of Hamhuis, and that he was too slight and limited offensively to push the needle on his own (I wanted to trade him at the draft). I think he's still overrated by some but he's very clearly a top pairing guy that's ready for prime time.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Who would be your MVP so far?

I'm genuinely curious

Well I personally think Tanev has been our best defenseman this season. Though Edler is much improved.

Our MVP so far would probably be Radim Vrbata. He almost doubles our second leading goal scorer.

arsmaster*

Something that wasn't happening a lot last year is the puck is quickly being brought out of the zone. A good feature of the Canucks defense is it's ability to skate and pass, and for whatever reason with Torts, these strengths were being suppressed in his system. Obviously when you can turn the puck up the ice quickly, you're playing to Edler and Tanev's strengths. His flaws get magnified when his strengths are suppressed, of course.

The return of his physical game is huge, though. Those suspensions last year obviously didn't help. I hated the LA game, but I marvelled when he dumped Kopitar onto the ice during the PK. Didn't think you could do that to Kopitar.

I was huge believer of Edler last summer, so it feels really good to be right... but I really should really eat some crow regarding Tanev. I really did think his ability to play in a top pairing was a product of Hamhuis, and that he was too slight and limited offensively to push the needle on his own (I wanted to trade him at the draft). I think he's still overrated by some but he's very clearly a top pairing guy that's ready for prime time.

I don't agree the puck gets out of the zone quicker this year. It doesn't. When it does leave the zone though we're generally possessing it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my hope for edler has always been that he'll turn into the player ohlund would have been if not for the eye injury.

that hope crested in the 2010 playoffs, when edler beasted all over LA's faces.

since that spring, i've come to more and more to accept that ohlund was like a viking with his quiet but feared presence, taking what he wanted, and felling trees with his bare hands; while edler is more like alexander skarsgård playing a lumberjack: he looks good in plaid and probably smells nice but disappoints on more substantive levels.

f7b2e1690510912c40ffb79f8e04884b.jpg

but every now and then edler will have a game like last night and...

you guys all remember that story on edler early on that explained how thomas gradin found him playing in a beer league? in that article, linden said:

Trevor Linden said:
I come up with all kinds of stuff to call guys. Alex Edler -- Edler. Eddie. Eddie the Eagle. What's an eagle? Big, majestic bird. But he's not big and majestic yet, so I said he's Eaglet.

and here we are seven years later, still holding out hope that he puts it together. but then again, here he we are in 2015, with all of the other defense prospects from that draft either already on the downswing (green), busted (barker, valabik), or average guys where they know what they are and that's the end of it (smid, meszaros, jeff schultz, emelin, polak, even goligoski), and there's still a glimmer that says edler could be something special.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=e8061608-f3ff-4ffa-bef8-0b5113a2ca86

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Ughh the problem with our fan base is it takes to long to realize these things. Alex Edler can't play defense...period. The series against the kings when we won the presidents trophy and got knocked out in the first round 90% of the goals given up were by Edler... Pinching at wrong times, missing assignments, delay of game penalties. We should have shipped him out then but our fan base loved him and gillis did what the fan base wanted so we were doomed. He can't play defense 1st goal in Dallas game tonight another example.

I assume you aren't including yourself in this hilarious generalization. But sure, it was the "fan base". My god.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Well I personally think Tanev has been our best defenseman this season. Though Edler is much improved.

Our MVP so far would probably be Radim Vrbata. He almost doubles our second leading goal scorer.

Vrbata would be a decent pick. Gotta score goals to win.

Edler is outperforming Tanev this year possession wise and plays in all situations. He has 100 shots to Tanev's 30. Edler has been better. If Vrbata is the MVP... he's the unsung hero.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad