Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
"Never really been downtown"

Dude has been in the league for 4 seasons in which the Hawks would have come to town and never seen the downtown area. His entire impression of Ottawa is based on highways and suburbs. This is why the downtown arena is so important for bringing in talent.
I mean the Byward Market, Old Hull and our CBD aren't particulatly exciting either.

I want a downtown arena but I doubt it does anything to help attract players.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean the Byward Market, Old Hull and our CBD aren't particulatly exciting either.

I want a downtown arena but I doubt it does anything to help attract players.
All it does is remove a barrier, it doesn't create a draw, but the fewer barriers there are the better.

You've currently got guys like Forsberg making jokes about not even believing Ottawa has a downtown, that's not because our downtown is uniquely bad among other NHL cities, it's because visiting teams fly in, take a 30 min bus ride through Nepean and greenbelt to the hotel, play their game, then bus back to the airport. That's the majority of NHL player's first impression of Ottawa, long bus rides though fields and suburbs.

It's not hard to see how a 15 min bus from the airport to a downtown hotel would drastically improve the visiting team's experience and impression of the city even without a particularly exciting downtown,

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What if Matthew signed a 1 year deal and we just signed him next year.

Not electing for arbitration means he can go into the seasons without a co tract and force Calgary to trade him by the Dec signing deadline or he’ll be a FA. Calgary in deep doodoo.

Am I right to say Matthew I’ll become a FA even if he doesn’t sign a contract, it doesn’t slide another year?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
"definitely open to signing a long contract"

I like it!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nice to hear - same thing Duschene said …
Yes indeed. I won't be really happy with the trade & acquisition until Debrincat signs a longer term contract with the Senators or he is traded for a return similar to what we paid to acquire him. He might turn out to be a short term rental that cost us a high first round pick.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Don't buy into such lip service.

Every player that isn't outright requesting a trade says they want to stay, right up until they leave.
You just can't stomach anything positive about the team can you

I think it's going to be a difficult year for a few guys on here

Yes indeed. I won't be really happy with the trade & acquisition until Debrincat signs a longer term contract with the Senators or he is traded for a return similar to what we paid to acquire him. He might turn out to be a short term rental that cost us a high first round pick.
I'm happy with it regardless of any potential future outcome

It signalled a shift in our operating mode. It brought life to the franchise. Generated excitement.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
@Hale The Villain isn’t wrong, everyone does say that. Matthew Tkachuk said it literally a month before forcing his way out of Calgary.

That said, this team is nowhere near where it was in 2018 and I don’t think it’ll be too difficult to convince DeBrincat to stay provided we pay him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Whether he had his ticket punched out regardless is up for debate, but who the f would have re-signed with that team in that state? Both Duchene and Stone were faced with giving up almost the entirety of the remainder of their prime on the outside of the playoffs and you can't fault either of them for moving on instead.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The nice thing is we get a 24 year old for at least two years, both of them being contract years. We know he is going to give it his all as he will be working for a big pay day.

Reactions: OD99

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Whether he had his ticket punched out regardless is up for debate, but who the f would have re-signed with that team in that state? Both Duchene and Stone were faced with giving up almost the entirety of the remainder of their prime on the outside of the playoffs and you can't fault either of them for moving on instead.
Exactly this.

Yes, players always do lip service like "I want to stay" and " I want to re-sign". But it's really not hard to read between the lines. DeBrincat says multiple times in the interview that he likes the direction of this team, he likes that the core is young and roughly his age, he likes the moves the team made after acquiring him (Giroux, Talbot & Norris contract). It's really not hard to see how different the circumstances are between DeBrincat and Duchene. The players themselves can also see the difference in these circumstances. They aren't stupid.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The nice thing is we get a 24 year old for at least two years, both of them being contract years. We know he is going to give it his all as he will be working for a big pay day.

We shouldn't even consider keeping DeBrincat for the second year of his contract if he isn't willing to re-sign long-term by next off-season.

If he isn't extended by next summer we should trade him for a package of young assets, hopefully as much or more than we dealt to acquire in this major buyer's market, and then try to replace him via UFA or by trade with a top 6 forward that will be here for more than one season.

Walking him to UFA at 25 with a 1 year deal or his 9M qualifying offer to try to extend a contending window by only a single season would be a horrible decision that would blow up in our faces much like what happened to the Isles with Tavares and the Flames with Gaudreau.

Reactions: Daffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad