Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I’ll bet the biggest value contract offer he gets was from the Sens, and that includes UFA next year.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Yeah based on how long this is taking, I'm also feeling that he got the biggest offer (total money) from Ottawa but it capped out around 8 and he thought he'd get more. Now he's not getting the term he wants elsewhere.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah based on how long this is taking, I'm also feeling that he got the biggest offer (total money) from Ottawa but it capped out around 8 and he thought he'd get more. Now he's not getting the term he wants elsewhere.
Possibly not the $$$ either.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Ok it got a bit busy here... So what was the trade finally?
Well because they couldn't agree on term, the shrewd negotiator Yzerman offered ADC an all-expenses paid Chipotle gift card that can be redeemed once per day for the duration of the contract. Best Dorion could offer was one free Gabriel's pepperoni pizza slice per game (leftover from Dorion's pizza), and that's why ADC refused to sign here all along. If we had more Chipotle's outside of downtime, it would be a lot easier to sign our stars... just saying

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Ok it got a bit busy here... So what was the trade finally?
If only... All that's happened is someone got snippy at a wings fan, and people are trying to read debrincats mind about his intentions.

Nothing to see here, unfortunately.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So if they get to arbitration (1 year extension), does Cat stay until the TDL?
Probably depends on the award to some degree, if he gets the 8.5-9 he's probably gunning for, I don't really see any realistic way we can fit him in. In that event, maybe we trade him with retention as a rental before the start of the season, perhaps get good value but no room to add a UFA like Tank.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well because they couldn't agree on term, the shrewd negotiator Yzerman offered ADC an all-expenses paid Chipotle gift card that can be redeemed once per day for the duration of the contract. Best Dorion could offer was one free Gabriel's pepperoni pizza slice per game (leftover from Dorion's pizza), and that's why ADC refused to sign here all along. If we had more Chipotle's outside of downtime, it would be a lot easier to sign our stars... just saying
He could get his own franchise as a signing bonus

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
People talk about Yzerman like he's some kind of hockey savant. Detroit is imo perfectly in no man's land and also with limited opportunity to get out of no man's land.

They're not going to challenge for a playoff spot any time soon and they're not close to a bottom feeder. They're "rebuilding" but it seems perpetual at this point. They've got some young talent but that talent is at odds with Larkin's contract age wise and I wouldn't have hitched my wagon to Larkin. Sure he's a good player, but he's not near an upper end 1C and he's now signed for 8 years with trade protection. He's the 1C. I wouldn't trade for him straight up for Norris considering contracts and Norris isn't our 1C.

One of the things DJ has said multiple times in the past 6 months is to the effect of "we'd go into games and the other team has the 3 or 4 best players" and commenting on how that's changing.

Look at these teams head to head. We probably have anywhere from the best 3 to 6 players on the ice.

Stuetzle
Tkachuk
Sanderson

Potentially
Chabot
Chychrun
Norris

And a better goaltending situation

We can talk about Detroit's great prospect bench, but you know what? It's not going to change who the best players are head to head, which is to say they don't have prospects that are locked in to developing better than the names I mentioned
I agree Ottawa has the more top level or potentially top level players, and is in a better place in its rebuild (which is unsurprising given the higher picks year on year). Detroit has a deeper roster and prospect pool at this point, but has not Stuetzle or Tkachuk (ironically both were on DRW's draft boards even higher than Ottawa took them) level player. Much from here will depend on the Sens new owners showing a greater level of commitment to on ice success than has hithertoo been the case.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I agree Ottawa has the more top level or potentially top level players, and is in a better place in its rebuild (which is unsurprising given the higher picks year on year). Detroit has a deeper roster and prospect pool at this point, but has not Stuetzle or Tkachuk (ironically both were on DRW's draft boards even higher than Ottawa took them) level player. Much from here will depend on the Sens new owners showing a greater level of commitment to on ice success than has hithertoo been the case.
Ottawa fell from 1st to fourth in the draft twice, and second to fifth once. So they were also shafted.

Reactions: Cosmix and JD1

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Probably depends on the award to some degree, if he gets the 8.5-9 he's probably gunning for, I don't really see any realistic way we can fit him in. In that event, maybe we trade him with retention as a rental before the start of the season, perhaps get good value but no room to add a UFA like Tank.
We might send the 7th D or 1 F such as Joseph or some 4th liner to waivers to create cap space.

Hopefully the new owner will commit to paying salaries to the cap ceiling during his ownership tenure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We might send the 7th D or 1 F such as Joseph or some 4th liner to waivers to create cap space.
It will be tight fitting DeBrincat in by moving Joseph if we win in arbitration and he's only getting 7.65, if he's awarded another mil+ on top of that, idk if there's a way to make it work.

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It will be tight fitting DeBrincat in by moving Joseph if we win in arbitration and he's only getting 7.65, if he's awarded another mil+ on top of that, idk if there's a way to make it work.
Maybe have to waive Forsberg and go with Soogard.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If they can't trade him, they should just waive him at that point & hope someone takes him off their hands & sign Tarasenko & Formenton & call it a day. This would fill two of their holes on LW & create a decent top nine.

It would be a big loss not getting something back, but he will only extend with Detroit & no one else wants to give up assets for a rental. I think this is the kind of thing that hurts the NHL & small market teams & pisses fans off that may have to be addressed.

If they get stuck with him next season I would almost want them to make him a healthy scratch until a decent offer is made or better yet send him to Belleville. If they are stuck with him he could get booed at every game by his own fans until he is moved & who could blame them. I wonder if that would move StevieY to do something more? I wonder how Leaf & Hab fans would feel about a really good player not wanting to re-sign there? They need to resolve this asap.

Reactions: Cosmix

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If they can't trade him, they should just waive him at that point & hope someone takes him off their hands & sign Tarasenko & Formenton & call it a day. This would fill two of their holes on LW & create a decent top nine.

It would be a big loss not getting something back, but he will only extend with Detroit & no one else wants to give up assets for a rental. I think this is the kind of thing that hurts the NHL & small market teams & pisses fans off that may have to be addressed.

If they get stuck with him next season I would almost want them to make him a healthy scratch until a decent offer is made or better yet send him to Belleville. If they are stuck with him he could get booed at every game by his own fans until he is moved & who could blame them. I wonder if that would move StevieY to do something more? I wonder how Leaf & Hab fans would feel about a really good player not wanting to re-sign there? They need to resolve this asap.
Thank God you are not the GM.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007

Seems totally reasonable. I’ll get the tiki torches.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

They can trade him. Teams would easily ship bad contracts to Ottawa plus picks/prospects. Just not getting the value Dorion is looking for. Won't get anything close to 7th overall plus 2nd and 3rd unfortunately. Waiving Cat is not even a remote possibility though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad