Alex Burmistrov (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Burmi is a serviceable 4th liner given his defensive abilities, the way he plays at C. He is useless at W.

The problem is that the Jets are stacked with passable 4th line guys, and AHL guys aspiring to be passable 4th line guys. His show me contract is only working to show that he is way overpaid.

Oh well. That sums up my feelings about Burmi and his contract. In fact, it pretty much sums up my feelings about Chevy and the Jets this year - oh well. Didn't have to be this way but it is - oh well. Let's start another rebuild. Go Jets Go.

Overpaid? Signing a second NHL contract for 1.5 million is about as low as it gets. The guy makes just over Thorburn money.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Burmi is a serviceable 4th liner given his defensive abilities, the way he plays at C. He is useless at W.

The problem is that the Jets are stacked with passable 4th line guys, and AHL guys aspiring to be passable 4th line guys. His show me contract is only working to show that he is way overpaid.

Oh well. That sums up my feelings about Burmi and his contract. In fact, it pretty much sums up my feelings about Chevy and the Jets this year - oh well. Didn't have to be this way but it is - oh well. Let's start another rebuild. Go Jets Go.

Burmistrov had 2 seasons of history of being a very solid and valuable player despite being 20 + 21.

Looking at GAR (which includes many variables, not just shot differentials) it appeared like Burmistrov was going to give the Jets far more bang than their buck:
article_167a5e54-0e3b-40e2-a7d8-205c64437f52.png

It hasn't worked out. Burmistrov hasn't been as good as he was then. We are not getting the value for his contract that we could have, but the fact remains that there was that potential. That's the difference between a good contract that doesn't work out and ****** depth players.

But, you can't blame the Jets for trying. This type of signing is what the Jets need to do MORE often. Going for guys that are likely to give you value. The problem is the Stus, Thors, Pelusos, et als. The guys that best case scenario are "not that bad value".

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Overpaid? Signing a second NHL contract for 1.5 million is about as low as it gets. The guy makes just over Thorburn money.

I personally wouldn't use the Thorburn contract as a reference point to justify another contract.

Burmi has been getting over 15 minutes per game of ice time. He is on pace for about what - 16 or 17 points? Sorry, you don't have to pay $1.6M for that. But he does bring some defensive value and is a lot more effective at center than wing. I guess the other plus is that his contract is not as bad an overpay as, let's say Mark Stuart' contract.

To Garret's point, I understand that as a cost reduction measure it probably was a reasonable risk to take, taking into account the fact that the Jets were pinching pennies this year.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I personally wouldn't use the Thorburn contract as a reference point to justify another contract.

Burmi has been getting over 15 minutes per game of ice time. He is on pace for about what - 16 or 17 points? Sorry, you don't have to pay $1.6M for that. But he does bring some defensive value and is a lot more effective at center than wing. I guess the other plus is that his contract is not as bad an overpay as, let's say Mark Stuart' contract.

To Garret's point, I understand that as a cost reduction measure it probably was a reasonable risk to take, taking into account the fact that the Jets were pinching pennies this year.

Using 5v5 metrics (goals, assists, and points per 60min, personal shot attempts per 60, plus relative Corsi, Fenwick, Scoring Chance, and Goal percentages) the 30 closest cohorts to Burmistrov's current season was paid 2.03M.

Meh.

Even currently the Jets look to be getting better than market value. It sucks he's been sucking, but I'm not going to call him overpaid.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Using 5v5 metrics (goals, assists, and points per 60min, personal shot attempts per 60, plus relative Corsi, Fenwick, Scoring Chance, and Goal percentages) the 30 closest cohorts to Burmistrov's current season was paid 2.03M.

Meh.

Even currently the Jets look to be getting better than market value. It sucks he's been sucking, but I'm not going to call him overpaid.

I won't argue stats with the stats guy! :)

But I have to wonder if tenure is coming into play for some of those comps.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I think he is highly skilled and doesn't throw the puck away. His possession is good but it hasn't translated into points. However, he has some intangibles as a player that are important and he is surprisingly physical. Good on the PK, may blossom into more offensive style later.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he is highly skilled and doesn't throw the puck away. His possession is good but it hasn't translated into points. However, he has some intangibles as a player that are important and he is surprisingly physical. Good on the PK, may blossom into more offensive style later.

Yeah it's weird - he was on track to be a decent NHL producer until the lockout year. It seems like he's just a fraction of a second behind all the time when trying to decide what to do with the puck...

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

The NHL is littered with players getting paid $1.6 or more that put up 2015-2016 Burmistrov level numbers.

Of course more is expected from him. He gets high quality scoring chances but continuously fail to bury any of them. He may lead the league in shots leading to routine glove saves. His shot needs major work.

Burmistrov needs to pal up with Scheifele & spend the next few summers being a hockey nerd.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I said this in the GDT: Can anyone tell me a player Burmistrov is similar to?

I actually can't think of one. He dangles the puck like probably no one on the team except Ehlers can, but his footspeed is not good and he doesn't anticipate the play well. Beside taking the job of chief administrative dangler, what does he do exactly??

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I actually can't think of one. He dangles the puck like probably no one on the team except Ehlers can, but his footspeed is not good and he doesn't anticipate the play well. Beside taking the job of chief administrative dangler, what does he do exactly??

He gets hammered on the possession numbers as well and tends to give the puck away a lot. He had a -11 corsi tonight. He is not a very effective player at this point.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He gets hammered on the possession numbers as well and tends to give the puck away a lot. He had a -11 corsi tonight. He is not a very effective player at this point.

Aside from a good takeaway on a backcheck Burmi was terrible tonight, probably the worst Jet! I see no improvement in his game from the start of the season now 50 games in!:shakehead:help:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Absolutely nightmare player to play with. Now i really understand why Ehlers struggled with Burmi and Thorburn.

JetFromFinland

Jul 3, 2014
Almost always seems that Burmi tries to do something "totally awesome dangles", which could lead to a cool goal and lots of Youtube etc views. But he just can't do them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Almost always seems that Burmi tries to do something "totally awesome dangles", which could lead to a cool goal and lots of Youtube etc views. But he just can't do them.

He can do them. He just keeps doing them until he is checked. NHL defenseman just choke him off until he loses possession.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Yeah dude's more suited to a Harlem Globetrotters type situation if there were such a thing for hockey. Time to end this marriage.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

First game I ever saw him play for the Jets, I thought "this guy is Evgeny Davydov 2.0". And I think that holds up pretty well. Loads of talent, but frustrating because he can't translate it.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The NHL is littered with players getting paid $1.6 or more that put up 2015-2016 Burmistrov level numbers.

The NHL is also littered with players getting paid $1.6M dollars or less that put up better than 2015-2016 Burmistrov level numbers.

NJ has one. He is on pace for about 60 points vs Burmi's 17. And he makes a bit more than 1/2 of what Burmi makes. In fact, I think if we look at all of the goals that Burmi has scored all this season in all games, this guy scored 1/2 that many goals in just one game against the Jets.

Look, all I am saying is this. Burmi has not met the Jets expectations this year, IMHO. If they knew then what they know now, I don't think he gets the same contract. I think he is overpaid and easily replaced. That's all I am saying.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
First game I ever saw him play for the Jets, I thought "this guy is Evgeny Davydov 2.0". And I think that holds up pretty well. Loads of talent, but frustrating because he can't translate it.

Davydov had a sick shot, Burmi has no shot! Davydov had 28 goals in his first season in the NHL which translates to about 20 goals in today's NHL, Burmi's best NHL season had him score 13 which will stand as his career high.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is my guess as well. I'd like to see the Jets try to move him first and try to recoup a few pennies on the dollar for a 8th OV pick.

Didn't get to see much of last nights game. For quite a few games before that everybody was saying how he was progressing since being moved from LW to C (and to RW, oddly). This season is pretty much lost. I'm inclined to see if he can be coached to better play for the rest of this season. If he could just learn to pass or shoot sooner it would make a world of difference. Just that. Get the puck, count 2, either shoot or pass. Every time. Maybe he would start to get it. Or is that too simplistic for a 'pro'?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Davydov had a sick shot, Burmi has no shot! Davydov had 28 goals in his first season in the NHL which translates to about 20 goals in today's NHL, Burmi's best NHL season had him score 13 which will stand as his career high.

Yeah 28 goals as a promising (26 year old) rookie. And then it was all downhill from there - 12 goals in his other 76 NHL games. What happened to that sick shot? Burmi had 13 goals in 76 games as a 21 year old. And then it was all downhill from there...just like Davydov. Actually, adjusting for scoring using VsX, Davydov's and Burmi's best years are remarkably similar in terms of points (33 vs. 29).

But I was talking about playing style - Davydov and Burmi are both space cadet butterflies who dipsy doodle around and frustrate the hell out of you because they could be producing a lot more if they'd just get it together.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Just like Burmi 1.0......the 2.0 version leaves you wanting a lot more.

Guy skates miles out there - but just cannot translate it into any kind production, often enough.

Unless you get him going round an oval track or something.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad