Alex Burmistrov (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
His problem is what it has always been; he holds onto the puck for far too long and offensive rushes most often die on his stick as a result, and this also often results in soft turnovers on his part as well. Some have been trying to convey this here for years, but it fell on deaf ears. He has plenty of tools... but no toolbox. It seems many of you were so seduced by the sizzle to his game that you were unable to spot that it contains no steak.

Derfel*

This same guy put up 38 points in 54 games in the KHL which is a much lower scoring league just 2 seasons ago. I don't think he has suddenly become an offensive blackhole so his offensive play this season is confusing. If someone who doesn't know anything about Burmi watched a game in isolation without any context they'd probably think he was a very solid player who must put up the points. All that amazing skating, decent footspeed, great hands and all that dangling around with the puck looks very impressive to the naked eye in isolation but for whatever reason it doesn't translate into points for the guy. I just don't understand, it's like the puck has a vendetta against him and refuses to go into the into the net if he has touched it :(

Says more about the KHL than Burmistrov, I'd say.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Best case scenario is if someone overpays for him in a trade. People thought when he came back that his "defensive" game would help the PK, How is that working out? How about his offfense. We need an upgrade. I don't get why people love him so much. 3rd/4th line players are not that hard to find.

I'd be very open to see him as part of a trade if the end result was an nice asset for the future. If not I think he could become a good shutdown center on a strong 4th line. I've come to much more acceptance of Burmi once I stopped expecting him to score.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd be very open to see him as part of a trade if the end result was an nice asset for the future. If not I think he could become a good shutdown center on a strong 4th line. I've come to much more acceptance of Burmi once I stopped expecting him to score.

You currently have 3 players like Burmi. Lowry and Copp can easily fill a 4th line center. He is getting paid way more than those 2, is older, not improved. I see 0 reason to keep him. If you wanted someone who couldn't score we could always bring back James Wright.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
What are you talking about , his shot is as weak as a pee wee players. Gimme a break Burmi has no shot and the main reason he can't score.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with his wrist shot beyond the fact that he doesn't use it often enough. I agree with Gump: he holds on to the puck too long in the offensive zone before making a decision to dish or shoot - this is his main failing, not the quality of his shot.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Jets did the right thing with Burmi. He was still their property, they brought him back and are giving him a chance.

2012-13 44-4-6-10

2015-16 47-4-6-10

The question is... do the Jets see this guy ever being any better than he is? Or this is just Burmi?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Tweener. Could in theory be a suitable fourth liner, but doesn't fit the fourth line mould that most coaches want. All tools no toolbox is probably the best description for him, in large part because he seems to lack the vision to complement his puckhandling skills.

I think expecting a team to give up anything of value for Burmistrov is probably a stretch. Would rather the Jets hold on to him and see if there's any chance he can find his game; he does have youth on his side.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
If I had to pick between Lowry, copp and burmi long term, it is burmi.

I agree with some of the criticisms but offensively I don't think it's a case of holding on too long (which is a narrative from the past that I don't think completely applies now), but more of not being able to execute all the way through... Like he's not able to follow through mentally on what he's trying to create. Maybe that falls in the tool vs toolbox thought, I don't know.

But I don't really see what copp and Lowry do better (Lowry big... Not really what I care about ). I don't see any offensive upside to those two. I see it with burmi but I don't think he'll ever reach it.

Granted I'll freely admit I've never been a fan of Lowry and felt his performance last year was way overvalued for a few reasons, so it would take a lot for him to win me over, but we all have our stubborn biases in these discussions.

Bottom line though, on a good team these guys would be your 10 min 4th liners. We are probably several years from that.

White Out 403*

Lowry is also 2 years younger than Burmi. I think the book is in on Burmistrov; talented but just won't cut it in the NHL.

Lowry still has hope to perhaps one day be a solid 2nd line player, and at worst a quality 3rd line piece.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
If I had to pick between Lowry, copp and burmi long term, it is burmi.

I agree with some of the criticisms but offensively I don't think it's a case of holding on too long (which is a narrative from the past that I don't think completely applies now), but more of not being able to execute all the way through... Like he's not able to follow through mentally on what he's trying to create. Maybe that falls in the tool vs toolbox thought, I don't know.

But I don't really see what copp and Lowry do better (Lowry big... Not really what I care about ). I don't see any offensive upside to those two. I see it with burmi but I don't think he'll ever reach it.

Granted I'll freely admit I've never been a fan of Lowry and felt his performance last year was way overvalued for a few reasons, so it would take a lot for him to win me over, but we all have our stubborn biases in these discussions.

Bottom line though, on a good team these guys would be your 10 min 4th liners. We are probably several years from that.

I think Burmi is a good pk player has a good stick and speed would rather him than Ladd on Pk

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Traditionally Burmi has been a pretty good possession player, he is effective on the PK, he's fast and is pretty gritty. He has shown in the past he can occasionally chip in a bit of offence (not much but he's not completely inept). There are MANY much worse players that get regular minutes around the league, heck we have a bunch on Jets.

Ideally he's probably part of an effective 4th line or maybe the defensive part of a 3rd line that has 2 offensively talented players who are a little weak in their own end, while getting regular PK minutes.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lowry is also 2 years younger than Burmi. I think the book is in on Burmistrov; talented but just won't cut it in the NHL.

Lowry still has hope to perhaps one day be a solid 2nd line player, and at worst a quality 3rd line piece.

Burmi and Lowry are one draft class apart. Neither have very good offensive skills, both are solid defensively. I love Adam but I don't see second line offense upside out of him.

I agree on Burmi holding onto it too long or as Hnidy said, making one too many moves. Shame really he is so close but I don't think that next level is going to happen for him anymore IMO. I would be fine with either Alex or Adam being rolled into a package deal at this point if it can make our team better. The good news is they are both cost controlled bottom six assets so no need to panic or fire sale them.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
With his change of direction and skating ability, he could transition well to figure skating.

Maybe missing Evander ripping shots off the wing high and wide is hurting his Corsi. Bust.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
With his change of direction and skating ability, he could transition well to figure skating.

Maybe missing Evander ripping shots off the wing high and wide is hurting his Corsi. Bust.

It wasn't just driving shot differentials. Jets also had a better goal differential for his two seasons he was here, and it was the exact same magnitude as the Corsi improvement (ie: same relGoal% as relCorsi%), surprise, surprise.

Also, it wasn't just with Kane, but was consistently making everyone different.

But that was what was, and not what currently is, unfortunately.

The kid could turn it around, and he does seem to play much better as a C than winger, but he's about 1/4 through his current contract and needs some big changes.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
If Burmi could accept his abilities and concentrate on being a solid defensive machine, he will have a solid career. Who knows, maybe he'll create scoring chances with defensive play first.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Burmi is much better at not getting scored on than James Wright.

True as that might be, I have viewed at least 3 golden retrievers at Maple Grove today that also likely limit goals against better then James Wright.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Burmi is a serviceable 4th liner given his defensive abilities, the way he plays at C. He is useless at W.

The problem is that the Jets are stacked with passable 4th line guys, and AHL guys aspiring to be passable 4th line guys. His show me contract is only working to show that he is way overpaid.

Oh well. That sums up my feelings about Burmi and his contract. In fact, it pretty much sums up my feelings about Chevy and the Jets this year - oh well. Didn't have to be this way but it is - oh well. Let's start another rebuild. Go Jets Go.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Burmi is a serviceable 4th liner given his defensive abilities, the way he plays at C. He is useless at W.

The problem is that the Jets are stacked with passable 4th line guys, and AHL guys aspiring to be passable 4th line guys. His show me contract is only working to show that he is way overpaid.

Oh well. That sums up my feelings about Burmi and his contract. In fact, it pretty much sums up my feelings about Chevy and the Jets this year - oh well. Didn't have to be this way but it is - oh well. Let's start another rebuild. Go Jets Go.

No argument with any of that, Burmi is a roster placeholder but probably should be the the 4C when this team acquires NHL calibre talent as he is a step up from stone hands Copp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad