Player Discussion AJ Greer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reckless, yes, but not malicious. They both got their sticks up, he just went too high. Don't think Greer had any intention of getting him in the face.

Totally fine if he gets a game. "Accidental" does not excuse recklessness. Guys gotta be responsible for dangerous stick work even if its not intentional. Part of doing that is doling out punishment.

Anything more than 2 games would be really excessive.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
He'll get a game or two, well worth it. I would have liked him to go after Pitlik instead but Hoffman is a pretty horrid human being along with his girlfriend, if it's still the same one who used social media to bully Karlsson's wife.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Reckless, yes, but not malicious. They both got their sticks up, he just went too high. Don't think Greer had any intention of getting him in the face.

Totally fine if he gets a game. "Accidental" does not excuse recklessness. Guys gotta be responsible for dangerous stick work even if its not intentional. Part of doing that is doling out punishment.

I agree - the look on Greer's face when he made contact looked like disappointment to me, I don't think he wanted to hurt him badly like he did.

Reactions: EverettMike

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't have the speed but he has better hands. Greer has kind of tailed off since the beginning of the season and up until last night, I've been happy with his game.

He immediately regretted the crosscheck and I don't think he meant to hit Hoffman in the face. All that said, I am glad he responded rather than stand there and get hacked at for no reason.

Lauko now has a real shot to show the coaching staff that he deserves to be a regular on the 4th line. I will say that when the suspension is over, I'd like Monty to play Greer the next game.

I'm shocked it took 71 games for the team to get its first suspension of the season.

Yeah normally they would have given Marchand at least one suspension for lacing up his skates wrong by now

He'll get a game or two, well worth it. I would have liked him to go after Pitlik instead but Hoffman is a pretty horrid human being along with his girlfriend, if it's still the same one who used social media to bully Karlsson's wife.

And he has a really punchable face

Reactions: Gordoff and Alicat

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I mean, you can't allow what Greer did. But, I hope they go light because Hoffman went to the high cross-check initially, so there is a certain protective reflex to that. Also, Hoffman is garbage.
Hoffman is also easily one of the softest players in the NHL, no need for Greer to react that way to him, hit him cleanly and even if you go a bit overboard and get a penalty, you shouldn't be getting 5 and a game thus taxing our much more important players with more ice time.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Greer definitely lost his head. I don't know if he is just your typical temperamental wiseguy disturber or he has a problem focusing. The latter would explain why he disappears fairly often, despite having good talent for a bottom six player.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I think this is about as spot on as it gets.

His body language pretty much screamed "oh shit" as soon as he popped him. I've seen much more aggressive plays this season where I think the player really did mean to pop a guy in the head/neck.

1 game, maybe 2. It would be justified. As you say, gotta be held responsible for sticks up high.

I will say if it had to be anyone, it's a shame it wasn't Pitlick.

Reactions: EverettMike

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's been okay, playing regular 4th line duty for a 55 win team, he hasn't really hurt us any and is far from the worst 4th liner this franchise has had in recent years.

That said, I don't want him on the ice in the postseason. Lauko's outplayed him at every opportunity, and with the cap being lifted for the postseason, if we have injuries I think I'd bring up Wags and insert him before putting Greer in.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't think Greer was looking to do as much damage as he did, but he clearly wasn't in the mood to play games before the faceoff. When you see a high crosscheck coming your way it's reflex to cross check back high. Simple as that. The end result will likely be a game or two, and that's fair. I do know one thing -- Greer got his point across and I don't think we will see anyone trying to pull that same stuff on Greer in the future.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You could tell by his immediate reaction that he knew he made a mistake. Still worth a suspension, but I don’t think there was an intent to injure. He’s just got to be more careful, accident or not, it shouldn’t happen.

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
AFAIK Greer does not have a history of doing something like this so I'll say 2 games.

I'm with @TD Charlie on this. I won't protest the suspension but I'm not displeased that Greer refused to tolerate that bullshit from Hoffman any more than #63 refused to let Pitlick get away with the high hit on Bergeron or McAvoy hammering that Hab that gave Swayman the snow shower. It is a most refreshing change in attitude from recent Bruins teams.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Greer definitely lost his head. I don't know if he is just your typical temperamental wiseguy disturber or he has a problem focusing. The latter would explain why he disappears fairly often, despite having good talent for a bottom six player.
I thought he initially got speared and that's why he popped off. I think it was a retaliatory hack gone wrong.

I do know he's had some issues in the past but he gave an interview a year or so ago and said he's really worked hard to be better and has even done therapy for it.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I thought he initially got speared and that's why he popped off. I think it was a retaliatory hack gone wrong.

I do know he's had some issues in the past but he gave an interview a year or so ago and said he's really worked hard to be better and has even done therapy for it.
As for the spear, I did not see one. I saw typical whacks to the shins from both, and then Greer lost it.
I did not know he had some focus issues, which has worked on off the ice. He may need to keep working on them.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
As for the spear, I did not see one. I saw typical whacks to the shins from both, and then Greer lost it.
I did not know he had some focus issues, which has worked on off the ice. He may need to keep working on them.
It is a teachable moment and lucky for the team Lauko's been chomping at the bit and we have already clinched.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad