AHL Future in Binghamton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Funny you should mention 2001-02. That's when the bottom dropped out of the Devils' organization. The team had been in decline for a couple of years, but 01-02 was the season when they only won 14 games. The Rats would continue to be one of the worst teams in the league for the duration of the Devils' affiliation, only once coming close to winning 30 games and finishing in last place overall or close to it most years. The switch to Carolina brought the level of play from putrid to mediocre, and by then the damage had been done.

You seem to believe that less than 4,000 is bad by today's AHL standards, and maybe it is. However, I challenge you to find a city that would even still have the AHL after enduring the crap Albany fans had to put up with for the better part of a decade.

It is bad. Take a look.And Albany is not marginally under 4,000 they are a lot under 4,000.

And no one forced the Devils to go to Albany or return to Albany except Albany.

I mean, they did win a cup. I would assume that bought some goodwill.

They did and their attendance was decent for a couple of years but was a steady decline to under 4,000 where they have been ever since.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
It is bad. Take a look.And Albany is not marginally under 4,000 they are a lot under 4,000.

They did and their attendance was decent for a couple of years but was a steady decline to under 4,000 where they have been ever since.

Fans in Albany did not want the Devils to return, that was well known. Fans publicly stated they would rather have an ECHL club that has a chance on winning and making the playoffs then a team who publicly stated "we are not in Albany to win AHL games, we could field a Calder Cup team almost every year but we are not here to win games in Albany." The Devils organization a few years ago stopped the Rangers from placing their AHL team in Albany because they would not agree to a mutual agreement.

A couple years lol, try the decade of the 1990s. After the championship was over 6000 per game (better then todays average even) the following season. Followed by few years 5000, then finishing out the decade over 4000. Big difference between a decade and a few years. Albany fans didn't ask for the Devils, they had no where else to go with an arena meeting the modern needs at competitive prices, Albany's arena operates with profits and not at a loss. The arena didn't want to loose the 38 dates on the calendar so they obliged. Arena renovations are on going, if the Devils leave so what! They will land the Rangers AHL team, ECHL team, USHL team, or add more NCAA DI games which are just as exciting as AHL hockey, maybe even more, and half the price...Albany will get it done!

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...-sees-nearly-1-million-in-net-profit-for.html

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

There was a weekday game just last week in Albanyj that fans said less than 800 people in the stands. Announced attendance was 1900 and change.

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Doesn't feel like the Devils are a perfect fit for this region of NY filled with Rangers fans.

I'm glad to still have AHL hockey but from a rivalry standpoint, for someone who loves the Rangers this is a bottom 2-3 option out of 30 teams. Sens were easy to cheer for but maybe I'll learn to like these guys somehow?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Funny you should mention 2001-02. That's when the bottom dropped out of the Devils' organization. The team had been in decline for a couple of years, but 01-02 was the season when they only won 14 games. The Rats would continue to be one of the worst teams in the league for the duration of the Devils' affiliation, only once coming close to winning 30 games and finishing in last place overall or close to it most years. The switch to Carolina brought the level of play from putrid to mediocre, and by then the damage had been done.

You seem to believe that less than 4,000 is bad by today's AHL standards, and maybe it is. However, I challenge you to find a city that would even still have the AHL after enduring the crap Albany fans had to put up with for the better part of a decade.

Sorry to hear about your loss of AHL hockey but it shouldn't be a surprise. It looks as there are no plans to bring another hockey team in up your area sadly. You guys have been loyal core supporters for a long time, and have no doubt by seasons end you average attendance could have been higher then Binghamton. It was though the Devils didn't do much to garner support but at the end of the day the Capital Region faithful just weren't enough....Best of luck to Albany

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Albany had a stacked team last playoffs and half the fans at the games drove up from Jersey for the games.

Sad for the few diehard Albany hockey fans that actually bought tix to games but it'd simply no longer a good minor hockey league town.

It was in the 90s but that was so long ago.

I'll be up there hopefully for playoff hockey this Spring.

I really look forward to Binghamton
Hockey fans in that region should embrace the new team next season.

Newark is closer to Binghamton than Manhattan, its not like a rival market like Boston or Philly is coming.

Forget about NHL affiliation and support your home team.

Something too many in Albany didn't do and they lost their team.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Well this worst kept secret is out of the bag.
Though I'm thrilled AHL hockey for a 36 th year my heart breaks for the fans in Albany.
Having lost my team in 97 I know the feeling is horrendous. I wished we were getting an expansion team so no one had to lose a team. Hockey is a business and sometimes it sucks.

Yes this is Rangers country. I am hoping the fans put that aside and support the new team. This is the last AHL chance we will ever get.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Doesn't feel like the Devils are a perfect fit for this region of NY filled with Rangers fans.

I'm glad to still have AHL hockey but from a rivalry standpoint, for someone who loves the Rangers this is a bottom 2-3 option out of 30 teams. Sens were easy to cheer for but maybe I'll learn to like these guys somehow?

The fact the new team name will not be affiliated with the Devils and instead will be true to the area hockey history is a plus. That makes this much more manageable to those in the area that hate the devils...

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Well this worst kept secret is out of the bag.
Though I'm thrilled AHL hockey for a 36 th year my heart breaks for the fans in Albany.
Having lost my team in 97 I know the feeling is horrendous. I wished we were getting an expansion team so no one had to lose a team. Hockey is a business and sometimes it sucks.

Yes this is Rangers country. I am hoping the fans put that aside and support the new team. This is the last AHL chance we will ever get.

My sentiments as well.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
This is not really a major loss for Albany, sadly the comments from their local paper reflect a genuine disdain comparing the AHL to over priced, and not on par with the local sports landscape. The fans who lose are the 3000ish regulars, that is it. The greater Albany area isn't taking this as a blow, Binghamton needs this more then Albany. The Devils were no longer a solid fit for Albany. Next year Albany's 30 million dollar arena makeover will be complete and while there are no current plans to try and score a team next year I don't see why they would. Albany needs to see how this all plays out. They have a great program nearby in Union College, 5th best in nation right now. They have hockey over at RPI, and they have the ECHL less then one hour north up in Glen's Falls NY. Between those three, the hockey void will be satisfied on occasion. Albany going dark for a bit, and Binghamtons efforts to have no hockey gap might just very well pay off for Albany couple years from now......Might the Rangers come a knocking ;)

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
The fact the new team name will not be affiliated with the Devils and instead will be true to the area hockey history is a plus. That makes this much more manageable to those in the area that hate the devils...

Where did you see that? Not arguing, just haven't read many of the articles about the move since I had a feeling it was going to happen anyway. I was really hoping they would be something other than the Devils.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Where did you see that? Not arguing, just haven't read many of the articles about the move since I had a feeling it was going to happen anyway. I was really hoping they would be something other than the Devils.

I have several friends in the know if you will. They all indicated the same thing to me that the team will be called the Binghamton Dusters, a throwback on the old Broome Dusters. I have no links or anything bc it isn't public knowledge yet, so skepticism is OK, but this to me is a terrific decision regarding the team...

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
The name is defiantly Binghamton Devils. Dusters was nixed. NJ was adamant the name is Devils.
Put the Duster rumor to bed.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Thank you Lou and the Devils organization for scortching the earth here. It did not have to be this way. I know my friends and I enjoyed AHL hockey in the capital region. I'm done with the AHL, this blows. If the Coyotes move this offseason, I may be done with hockey altogether.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
There is one fact that makes it obvious it's the Wolf Pack moving to Binghamton:

Because of a scheduling conflict in the 2014-15 AHL playoffs the Wolf Pack had to play their first two games against Hartford at the DCU Center in Worcester. If they had played game six at the DCU in Worcester the cost of three games there was still less than one game at the XL Center.

They are 100% headed to Bingo.

Guess again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I have several friends in the know if you will. They all indicated the same thing to me that the team will be called the Binghamton Dusters, a throwback on the old Broome Dusters. I have no links or anything bc it isn't public knowledge yet, so skepticism is OK, but this to me is a terrific decision regarding the team...

The name is defiantly Binghamton Devils. Dusters was nixed. NJ was adamant the name is Devils.
Put the Duster rumor to bed.

Didn't NJ make Albany change from the River Rats to the Devils? Figured they'd want the same thing here. But naming them the Dusters (if they can) would be the best possible scenario. You still see tons of Dusters jerseys around the arena, and that way all the Sabres/Rangers/Islanders/Senators fans wouldn't have to root for the "Devils". Guess we'll have to wait and see!:)

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Thank you Lou and the Devils organization for scortching the earth here. It did not have to be this way. I know my friends and I enjoyed AHL hockey in the capital region. I'm done with the AHL, this blows. If the Coyotes move this offseason, I may be done with hockey altogether.

Well said, the Devils organization ruined Albany. Arriving back into town 2010 and dumping the Albany River Rats brand identity. Playing four games a season in Atlantic City which were flops. The Devils completely ignored Albany area fans and scheduled every Saturday game at 5pm when a majority around the league were 7. Will Binghamton be called the Devils, will all their games on Saturday be 5pm, all that will be interesting. Had those changes been made in Albany couple years ago we might not be entertaining this conversation.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Like the coverage of AHL hockey in Albany not alot of buzz in local TV media regarding the Devils move. In a town like Albany all the news is about government and politics. The AHL and minor league hockey just isnt viewed much with any regard. Maybe when the River Rats moved to Charlotte it was a big deal, this time the Devils leaving town is a snoozer.

Tonester01

Sep 30, 2012
From a Belleville fan, I'm sorry for Albany fans. When the Bulls left Belleville it was a large loss. We will have the B Sens next year but in reality Belleville is an OHL city. I have followed hockey and the AHL for a very long time and hate to see the dwindling of NE US teams.

Tonester01

Sep 30, 2012
There are so many good US hockey players and I never understood why another major junior (in addition to USHL) was never formed in the NE. You could have teams in Portland, Lewiston, Albany, Erie from the OHL, etc. It would provide an alternative to OHL for NE US players. In time it would rival the OHL which is very good hockey. Canada's main rival in hockey is US now and US is producing a lot of good players.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The talk around Albany on ESPN radio 104.5 is no big deal, the AHL is coming back. Albany will not look to replace the Devils next season. There is no interest in an immediate replacement. ESPN radio says all thing are being put into place by local and state politicians to land the NY Rangers farm team upon completion on arena construction. Stay tuned AHL fans, its going to get interesting. I cannot see a better way for Albany to ensure its hockey future then going this route. Lots of Ranger fans in eastern New York. What better way to roll out a 30 million makeover for Albany and its arena in fall of 2018 Meanwhile, Albany needs to continue.to attend games and.not treat the team as.lame duck......... Best of luck to Albany

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad