Value of: Adin Hill - 2023 Unrestricted Free Agent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
They literally dumped Fleury immediately after a Vezina win. That'll do more damage than letting the backup goalie walk as a UFA.

I really like Hill and what he's done, but Vegas was winning the cup with any league average goalie in net.
I don't agree. His length and size is what kept them in it. He didn't overtly take over a game or anything like that, but his length is what helped them win. Most of the saves he had that were great were the toes of his skates and just his height saved a lot of the high shots under the bar.

A lot of league average goalies don't have that length. Husso, Andersen, Swayman. If Vegas had any of those 3 or others in their class, I honestly see a much harder way forward of them winning the edmonton series, let alone the cup.

Reactions: WhataKnight

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't agree. His length and size is what kept them in it. He didn't overtly take over a game or anything like that, but his length is what helped them win. Most of the saves he had that were great were the toes of his skates and just his height saved a lot of the high shots under the bar.

A lot of league average goalies don't have that length. Husso, Andersen, Swayman. If Vegas had any of those 3 or others in their class, I honestly see a much harder way forward of them winning the edmonton series, let alone the cup.
Goalies can make up height with better positioning. Hill isn't one of the more technically sound goalies, despite his work with Burke he still goes "swimming" in the net too much.

If Hill was say a Vasi level goaltender you'd have a point. But as of now he's essentially a dime a dozen 1B type

Reactions: OKR

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Goalies can make up height with better positioning. Hill isn't one of the more technically sound goalies, despite his work with Burke he still goes "swimming" in the net too much.

If Hill was say a Vasi level goaltender you'd have a point. But as of now he's essentially a dime a dozen 1B type
He isn't even a 1B imo. But if you have height and size combo, include the defensemen who are all tall but he is taller than most of them I think which helps more, then you cover more that your typical goalie.

Partly why TB did so well as well. Yeah their players are great, but Vasi being his size, and the size of all the defenseman on the team, its tough for the puck to get through. And if it does get through, you have a goalie who is taller than everyone to see where it's going to get yourself into position.

Position is key and that is essentially how Quick did so well in his career for a smaller goalie, but it only goes so far to cover the top of the net.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He isn't even a 1B imo. But if you have height and size combo, include the defensemen who are all tall but he is taller than most of them I think which helps more, then you cover more that your typical goalie.

Partly why TB did so well as well. Yeah their players are great, but Vasi being his size, and the size of all the defenseman on the team, its tough for the puck to get through. And if it does get through, you have a goalie who is taller than everyone to see where it's going to get yourself into position.

Position is key and that is essentially how Quick did so well in his career for a smaller goalie, but it only goes so far to cover the top of the net.
So are you implying they don't win the cup with a smaller guy like say Saros?

Skill matters more than height. Vegas wins the cup with any average 1B goalie

Reactions: OKR and Fjordy

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
So are you implying they don't win the cup with a smaller guy like say Saros?

Skill matters more than height. Vegas wins the cup with any average 1B goalie
Which year of Saros? This past year? No not at all.

I agree, skill matters, but by your own admission, Hill swims in his net, of which proves he lacks the skills to not do that...

Saros from last year or two years ago then yes, VGK could win, but I never said they wouldn't win with a smaller goalie. I said it would have been a lot more difficult to progress past edmonton let alone all the way to winning the cup with the style of play they go with.

Again, Adin Hill is not a 1B goalie. He is a backup. He was playing better than Brossoit, another career backup. They would have never taken out Logan Thompson for Adin Hill as starter. Would they have won with Thompson? Yes they probably would have, but he is also 6'4'' with skills, at least he did before he got injured.

Never said they wouldn't have won, I said it would have been much more difficult for them to do so and I think Edmonton would have beat them with a smaller goalie in net. Just watch the highlights of his saves throughout the playoffs. He "swims" as you said and he is stopping pucks barely at the ends of his wingspan and legspan. Smaller goalies in the exact situation do not make those saves because they don't have the same length. Like the goal he stopped from Cousins in game 1(?) where it literally touched the heel of his stick that only could have been saved if he had the length to get the stick and reach it there.

The only save where Adin Hill saves a 100% sure goal that other athletically skilled goalies can do (quick, vasi, holtby from 2018) was the one last night against duclair where Hill just absolutely robs him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Which year of Saros? This past year? No not at all.

I agree, skill matters, but by your own admission, Hill swims in his net, of which proves he lacks the skills to not do that...

Saros from last year or two years ago then yes, VGK could win, but I never said they wouldn't win with a smaller goalie. I said it would have been a lot more difficult to progress past edmonton let alone all the way to winning the cup with the style of play they go with.

Again, Adin Hill is not a 1B goalie. He is a backup. He was playing better than Brossoit, another career backup. They would have never taken out Logan Thompson for Adin Hill as starter. Would they have won with Thompson? Yes they probably would have, but he is also 6'4'' with skills, at least he did before he got injured.

Never said they wouldn't have won, I said it would have been much more difficult for them to do so and I think Edmonton would have beat them with a smaller goalie in net. Just watch the highlights of his saves throughout the playoffs. He "swims" as you said and he is stopping pucks barely at the ends of his wingspan and legspan. Smaller goalies in the exact situation do not make those saves because they don't have the same length. Like the goal he stopped from Cousins in game 1(?) where it literally touched the heel of his stick that only could have been saved if he had the length to get the stick and reach it there.

The only save where Adin Hill saves a 100% sure goal that other athletically skilled goalies can do (quick, vasi, holtby from 2018) was the one last night against duclair where Hill just absolutely robs him.
My point is a more technically sound goalie can make those saves that you attribute to Hill's height, with proper positioning instead.

By your own admission Hill is a backup. Vegas absolutely wins with a stud like Saros or any league average goalie. Skill and technical ability can easily makeup for a lack of height.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
My point is a more technically sound goalie can make those saves that you attribute to Hill's height, with proper positioning instead.

By your own admission Hill is a backup. Vegas absolutely wins with a stud like Saros or any league average goalie. Skill and technical ability can easily makeup for a lack of height.
At this point, it seems like we are arguing 2 different conversations thinking it's the same one.

So, I guess we can just agree to disagree, but I will say it again: I never said they would not have won the cup with a smaller goalie like Saros. I said it would have been a lot more difficult to progress through the playoffs with their playing style with a shorter goalie, especially against edmonton.

I think Vegas would have beaten Dallas with any goalie in net, Dallas just wasn't ready.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Hill is not a guy a team is gonna want to give big money too.
He's a career back-up that won a cup playing behind a great team. Didn't have to be great, just average.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Hill is going to get paid

My guess is 5 x 5m per

Someone desparate for a starting goaltender will pay. Like Kings, Devils or Senators

I doubt the Devils would go for it, they probably go with a Vanecek/Schmid tandem, and let Blackwood go.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Blake gave 3x5M to Cal Peterson with much weaker results in a small sample size.
I could see him roll out the barrel here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's going to get paid, and whoever does is going to regret it.

I know he won a cup but I don't think he's taking Ottawa, or Buffalo, or anybody else looking for a goalie to the playoffs

I don't think he's a 55 game guy, I think he got hot and got it done.

But if you are looking for him to play 55 games I don't think he can do that.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He's going to get paid, and whoever does is going to regret it.

I know he won a cup but I don't think he's taking Ottawa, or Buffalo, or anybody else looking for a goalie to the playoffs

I don't think he's a 55 game guy, I think he got hot and got it done.

But if you are looking for him to play 55 games I don't think he can do that.
Unless its the Leafs... then its ok, right? :cool:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
LeBrun thinks he is going to re-sign with Vegas.

Adin Hill, 27, repped by agent Gerry Johannson​

“We’re obviously going to give it the big college try to get him signed in Vegas,’’ Johannson told The Athletic over the phone Monday. “I think that’s always the goal when a guy likes it in a spot. We’re keeping an eye on everything else, too, but if we can make it work in Vegas, that would be the best thing, right?’’

Johannson added that they will be prepared if things can’t be figured out with Vegas. They’re doing their homework on the NHL landscape. But all things being equal, they hope to get Hill signed back in Vegas.

My sense based on what Johannson is saying here is that of course Hill is looking at a raise, but I don’t think this is about maximizing leverage off the Cup run. I think they know they’ve got a good thing going in Vegas. Hard to predict where all this goes for sure with all the goalie juggling in Vegas, not to mention the future of Robin Lehner that remains unclear, but I think the Knights will be able to sign Hill.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
They literally dumped Fleury immediately after a Vezina win. That'll do more damage than letting the backup goalie walk as a UFA.

I really like Hill and what he's done, but Vegas was winning the cup with any league average goalie in net.
Agree 100%. Someone is going to regret signing him long term. Vegas just plays good hockey, period.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
LeBrun thinks he is going to re-sign with Vegas.

I'm really curious to see what happens to Lehner if Vegas can end up re-signing Hill. I really like a Thompson-Hill goalie tandem for them, but Lehner is still under contract for the next 2 years and it sounds like he's trying to play again next year.

Getting out of his deal if he gets healthy might be challenging for Vegas.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I'm really curious to see what happens to Lehner if Vegas can end up re-signing Hill. I really like a Thompson-Hill goalie tandem for them, but Lehner is still under contract for the next 2 years and it sounds like he's trying to play again next year.

This is why IMO its best for Vegas to sign Brossoit to a 1 or 2 year deal, instead of Hill for 3+ years at more money.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

McCrimmon last week was talking like Lehner is no lock to play again.

However, he rushed past the Vegas futures of Ivan Barbashev and Robin Lehner.

One month ago, McCrimmon punted a question on Lehner’s rehab status, admitting he wasn’t well informed on the process. However, McCrimmon has been in touch with Lehner over the last few days, including the night of the Stanley Cup victory. The pair exchanged texts, but McCrimmon was non-committal about any aspect of the future, except that it’s too soon to know if retirement is likely.

“(Lehner), who I texted back and forth with after the game the other night, he’s had major surgeries. Three of them,” McCrimmon said. “Those are the conversations that our medical team will have with Robin as we move forward and assess where he’s at. We’ll know more about that in a little bit of time.

“I think with respect to (Lehner), our conversation was about the accomplishment the other night,” McCrimmon said. “I sure think it’s premature to suggest (retirement). To say much more than that, I don’t have that information.”

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The pro move is to offer a longer contract over hit. Say offer 3M for 6 years. Gives room to buy out Lehner while giving him economic security.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Adin Hill was only "good" in the playoffs because Vegas's defensive system was built to mask his weaknesses.

He's not very good but that's not gonna stop some sucker GM to throw stupid money at a below average goaltender. Most of them are gonna be like "Cup Good. Adin Hill good!"

Doug Wilson tried that with Annti Niemi and it ruined our franchise for over half a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad