Value of: Adam henrique

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'd gladly offer the Avs 2024 1st + RyJo for Henrique at 30% retention to match RyJo's $4MM AAV. Would throw in Foudy. Great skater.

I'm thrilled we didn't trade for Monahan and that pending injury waiting to happen. + he's slow.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I'd gladly offer the Avs 2024 1st + RyJo for Henrique at 30% retention to match RyJo's $4MM AAV. Would throw in Foudy. Great skater.

I'm thrilled we didn't trade for Monahan and that pending injury waiting to happen+++ he's slow. Like RyJo.
I feel like the Ducks could get a 1st without having to pay 8+mil in cash for a cap dump (8 because 2 years, I know 50% is with Nashville). The + would have to be pretty significant IMO.

Reactions: lwvs84 and duckpuck

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
To play devil's advocate, Winnipeg has been aggressive with rentals historically (Stastny, Hayes). That's no longer an option. The other C hot spots are Boston, Colorado and New York. Boston is justified in sitting this one out because of the assets dealt last year. Colorado has been conservative with rentals. Does New York really want to go down that path for the 3rd consecutive year (Copp, Tarasenko)?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I'm thrilled we didn't trade for Monahan and that pending injury waiting to happen+++ he's slow. Like RyJo.

But very unlike FloJo.

Reactions: AD Skinner

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
They're almost always high at the deadline, but especially so in a year where the draft isn't as deep and thus a late 1st isn't as valuable.
This logic has never made sense to me. How confident can you be that the 25th (or so) pick in this draft is better or worse than the 25th pick in any other draft? At the top of the draft it definitely can make sense, but not that far down.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avalanche are about to get taken to the cleaners in trying to keep up with the Jets/Nucks... Ducks could really make out like bandits now as the heat on McFarland just went nuclear lol
Yes. Sakic and the Avs have lost many many trades. Like Toews and Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Ross Colton, Kadri, Josh Manson, Cogs, Duchene. Just a long history of taking Ls post trade.

Sakic and Co clearly have no idea how to value players, how to target good fits or structure compensation. The Avs gave up two picks around 60th overall for Devon Toews. TWO late 2nd rounders and all they got was a top pair Dman that plays 23 minutes a game making $4.1MM per season. Stupid Avs.

They actually gave San Jose a late 5th round pick for Andrew Cogliano and all he did was score a game tying goal late in game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals the Avs went on to win in overtime. What a dumb way to spend that 179th pick in the draft.

And the Habs... was super painful playing in Montreal a few weeks ago and seeing Barron as a healthy scratch just before he was demoted to the AHL when you contrast that to all Lehkonen has ever did for the Avs was score the Stanley Cup winning goal. And the series winning goal in OT over McDavid. Avs badly lost this trade obviously.

Did you see what they gave up for Ryan Johansen? Alex Galenchuk... THE Alex Galenchuk 2 days before he hit UFA.

Avs just getting their face ripped off at every turn.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The avs have simply not had a real history of spending their best assets for rentals.

Whenever they have spent high valued assets, that player had some type of medium to longer term potential with the team.

Theyll give away 2nds like candy though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They're almost always high at the deadline, but especially so in a year where the draft isn't as deep and thus a late 1st isn't as valuable.

Also this year it seems there's more teams in the mix, with comparable needs, and a number of pretty quality rental options available compared to some years where it's slim pickings.
Early too

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
The initial point of teams should not pay for retention just to get his salary where its at an appropriate level is not moving the goal posts. Sorry if you misunderstood and that i initially was off on his salary. Point remains, however.

Secondly, if youre going to generalize the salaries of 2nd line forwards, its entirely appropriate to look at the age range and their salary. If a 25 year old 2nd line player just sigbed a new contract for 7.2 million, future productive years go into that salary. AH is on the other end of this. So this comment is heavily skewed by more recent contracts but also disparity in age.
You certainly did move the goalposts. I didn’t misunderstand anything. You said Henrique was overpaid and an 8 million dollar cap dump was there to make up for his overpayment. At the same time, you also said he was only overpaid by approx 2 million dollars. Including an 8 million dollar dump to make up for that 2 million is ridiculous. You’ve also not answered why you think that’s fair.

Instead, you brought up age which has nothing to do with including an 8 million dollar cap dump. Age does not matter one bit. You’re not trading for Henrique and then extending him for 5 years. You’re trading for him for a few months of continued productivity at the level he’s currently producing at.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I feel like the Ducks could get a 1st without having to pay 8+mil in cash for a cap dump (8 because 2 years, I know 50% is with Nashville). The + would have to be pretty significant IMO.
Sadly for the Ducks, RyJo would be one of their better players. Probably go on PP1. At 11 goals so far, he'd be their 5th leading scorer, right behind McTavish and Terry.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
This logic has never made sense to me. How confident can you be that the 25th (or so) pick in this draft is better or worse than the 25th pick in any other draft?

The scouting community usually has a pretty good grasp of overall depth, and where the dropoff is in talent. Any individual pick sure, it's a crapshoot. But you're talking about trading for a pick in an as yet unknown soot where you roughly know the caliber of prospects that will be available.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Avs shouldn't feel compelled to make a move now anyway.

They are playing well, Lines and offense are clicking. With Byram and Lex back, doing well on player health. Lets assume Nuke comes back in a few weeks too.

They are in first place. Deadline isn't until March 8th. Let that play out more.

I think you'll have to take back some contract. The hope should be it's an expiring deal though.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
considering they won their cup in a year where they shipped out a 2nd and recent 1st rd prospect for a player that had only played bottom 6 roles up until then... might want to revisit that "experience" lol
And consensus was they did not get taken to the cleaners even at the time of the trade
The only real trade I felt the Avs got worked on was the Eller trade, and even that cost was pretty insignificant in the big picture

Reactions: Miller Time

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sadly for the Ducks, RyJo would be one of their better players. Probably go on PP1. At 11 goals so far, he'd be their 5th leading scorer, right behind McTavish and Terry.
To be fair majority of our good players have spent ton of time injured.

you also realize Ryjo is 5th on the aves in goals.

The Avs shouldn't feel compelled to make a move now anyway.

They are playing well, Lines and offense are clicking. With Byram and Lex back, doing well on player health. Lets assume Nuke comes back in a few weeks too.

They are in first place. Deadline isn't until March 8th. Let that play out more.

I think you'll have to take back some contract. The hope should be it's an expiring deal though.
I think that kinda depends, you wait too long and you end up with Laughton over priced.

not saying aves should get Henrique…. Because there’s a good chance a lot of teams are bidding on him right now, he’s basically the best available option out there

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To be fair majority of our good players have spent ton of time injured.

you also realize Ryjo is 5th on the aves in goals.

I think that kinda depends, you wait too long and you end up with Laughton over priced.

not saying aves should get Henrique…. Because there’s a good chance a lot of teams are bidding on him right now, he’s basically the best available option out there
Laughton would be an amazing get for our bottom six as a C. PKs, heavy player. Should be great in the playoffs. I'd much rather have him than Henrique. I also like his $3MM AAV.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Laughton would be an amazing get for our bottom six as a C. PKs, heavy player. Should be great in the playoffs. I'd much rather have him than Henrique. I also like his $3MM AAV.
Sure, but once Henrique is off market I feel like your going to end up having to ship out a 1st + for him

Reactions: robbieboy3686

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
As a Canuck fan, I'm glad that we jumped the market and got Lindholm (dumping Kuzmenko's contract for a 1st, and selling high on Hunter prospect and late assets, but I digress). With the obvious decrease in supply after Elias and Sean were dealt, demand will skyrocket for a 2nd line guy like Henrique or Laughton.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
As a Canuck fan, I'm glad that we jumped the market and got Lindholm (dumping Kuzmenko's contract for a 1st, and selling high on Hunter prospect and late assets, but I digress). With the obvious decrease in supply after Elias and Sean were dealt, demand will skyrocket for a 2nd line guy like Henrique or Laughton.
Laughton has had a pretty poor year compared to last season. I don’t think he should be on the 2nd line of any contending team. He’s probably an ideal 3C though.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes. Sakic and the Avs have lost many many trades. Like Toews and Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Ross Colton, Kadri, Josh Manson, Cogs, Duchene. Just a long history of taking Ls post trade.

Sakic and Co clearly have no idea how to value players, how to target good fits or structure compensation. The Avs gave up two picks around 60th overall for Devon Toews. TWO late 2nd rounders and all they got was a top pair Dman that plays 23 minutes a game making $4.1MM per season. Stupid Avs.

They actually gave San Jose a late 5th round pick for Andrew Cogliano and all he did was score a game tying goal late in game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals the Avs went on to win in overtime. What a dumb way to spend that 179th pick in the draft.

And the Habs... was super painful playing in Montreal a few weeks ago and seeing Barron as a healthy scratch just before he was demoted to the AHL when you contrast that to all Lehkonen has ever did for the Avs was score the Stanley Cup winning goal. And the series winning goal in OT over McDavid. Avs badly lost this trade obviously.

Did you see what they gave up for Ryan Johansen? Alex Galenchuk... THE Alex Galenchuk 2 days before he hit UFA.

Avs just getting their face ripped off at every turn.
wow, that must suck

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And consensus was they did not get taken to the cleaners even at the time of the trade
The only real trade I felt the Avs got worked on was the Eller trade, and even that cost was pretty insignificant in the big picture
indeed... the Lekhonen trade was a great example of a "win-win"... paying a deadline premium is the cost of doing business, nothing wrong with that at all, especially when the targeted player is a good roster fit.

the eller deal was also cost of doing business at the deadline, and I'm a big Eller fan even now... but not so sure that was the right addition considering the avs situation last year, and things certainly didn't work out well for them. (i'm surprised they doubled down by letting him walk and then going after RyJo at almost double the cap hit... Eller would look better in Colorado than him right now imo).

Will be interesting to see if they suck it up and pay a big price for Henrique. I think they'd be better off looking elsewhere and making sure they address the G situation as well... they've got such great high-end talent in their prime right now, every season wasted by hitting the playoffs with glaring holes has gotta be frustrating for fans and the org. alike.

Reactions: AslanRH

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Contenders 1sts are all going for uogrades

Henrique to nyr maybe

Then oilers 1st for jeff carter

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
You would rather have a guy who has hit 40 points once in his career vs. the guy who has been at or around a 40 point pace for the last five seasons? A quick google also says that Henrique has 126 SH minutes to his 91.

Not that Laughton is useless but this just seems silly.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You have to know Verbeek wants to keep Henrique. Is a late 1st worth not having him around your young players the next 2-3 years, or do they risk trading him, hoping to bring him back in July?

Whether it was Verbeek in Tampa or Detroit, the plan was surround youngsters with quality vets. Anaheim thinks that same way, and they’re thin in that department at forward.

Makes a lot of sense, they’ll try signing him before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad