Player Discussion Adam Fox

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No one wants to hear it but fox puts effort in when he skates. He is not what you would term an effortless skater. He is obviously an elite player regardless, but if you are going to compare makar playing 27 mins a game to fox at 23 or 24 you also need to consider the effort in those minutes just getting around the rink. Makar is an incredible skater with little effort. Fox is like a defenseman version of John Taveras in that they are (maybe was for JT) elite players that aren't the most gifted skaters and big minutes with trips constantly up and down the ice will wear those kind of guys out. I know we love to pump our own guys but we also need to be realistic about deficiencies and how they do/will impact them.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
2 points in the last 6. Now under a point-per-game. Looked real good against the Isles in the first period. Lots of people screaming about rest. We pumped his tires for a year that he was the best d in the game, yet I am watching Toews and Makar play 27-28 mins a night. Why does Fox need a rest? They are managing his minutes. This team needs to win games.
Makar scores goals, sometimes with no help. He has Elite edgework and a rocket shot. Fox just isn't as physically gifted and that's okay.

Fox excels at deception and setting up linemates. But if Zib doesn't nail one-timers, Krieder doesn't do his crease-magic, and Panarin turns over the puck, then Fox isn't going to get the same level of production. He just isn't. I love his game, but he's not the type of player who can bury his own chances when his teammates are off their rhythm.

Reactions: tbassler

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Is it just me or is he turning the puck over too frequently these days? I think I saw 2 last night vs. PHI. Fatigue? He’s coming down to earth with his play? Still like the dude but wondering.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Don't like his body language lately. I don't know if something is going on but the past 20 games or so I see him constantly looking up at the sky, rolling his eyes, shrugging, etc.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Is it just me or is he turning the puck over too frequently these days? I think I saw 2 last night vs. PHI. Fatigue? He’s coming down to earth with his play? Still like the dude but wondering.
And poor effort on the backcheck last night too.

He was supposed to be competing for the Norris and being out best D in the playoffs. So f***ing disappointing. Meanwhile Makar is tearing it up.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Anyone else think Adam Fox may have an underrated shot? Everyone talks about his elite vision and passing ability, but look at this casual laser beam he had earlier this preseason:

(Time stamped at 19 seconds just in case it's not working)

Sure, he doesn't have a cannon like Ovechkin or Zibanejad that can beat goalies from above the circle, but he can snipe a clean goal from within the circle as good as a lot of top 6 forwards in the league. Maybe it was a screen?

It's hard to say. But it feels like no one really thought much of this goal.

Last edited:

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Anyone else think Adam Fox may have an underrated shot? Everyone talks about his elite vision and passing ability, but look at this casual laser beam he had earlier this preseason:

(Time stamped at 19 seconds just in case it's not working)

Sure, he doesn't have a cannon like Ovechkin or Zibanejad that can beat goalies from above the circle, but he can snipe a clean goal from within the circle as good as a lot of top 6 forwards in the league. Maybe it was a screen?

It's hard to say. But it feels like no one really thought much of this goal.

Probably worked on his shot this summer. We've seen that his backhand is pretty nasty. Velocity will never be his thing when it comes to shooting but accuracy and ability to lift the puck seem like strengths for him.

Elite shot? I'm hard-pressed to call it elite until he's doing that consistently (maybe now he's confident enough in his shot to try) instead of always passing. Would be super nice to see him pot 15+ goals this year, he's absolutely capable. He's especially money on rushes.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
After somebody inquired through PM (not Machinehead, surprisingly), I’d like to correct myself, the neighborhood I saw him in was the Gramercy Park/Peter Cooper Village/StuyTown area, which does NOT count as Lower Manhattan, as that is its own neighborhood. The more you know.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just ran into Foxy in the Gramercy Park/Peter Cooper Village/StuyTown area, he was taking a walk with his girl and still stopped to say hi and take a picture. Awesome dude, first time meeting a celebrity for me.

Not the same caliber of player but I once ran into Ruslan Fedetenko and Artem Anisimov at a car show at the Javits Center. I took a picture with Fedetenko but never got it sent to me from my friend's phone. It was 2012 and I told him to win the cup and he said "we'll try".

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Not the same caliber of player but I once ran into Ruslan Fedetenko and Artem Anisimov at a car show at the Javits Center. I took a picture with Fedetenko but never got it sent to me from my friend's phone. It was 2012 and I told him to win the cup and he said "we'll try".

That is not a good friend. Do you still keep in touch with this friend? I would contact this friend and ask for the picture. Why wasn't Anisimov in the picture? And, which booth were Ruslan and Artem at? Was it one of the European brands like Opel or Seat?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That is not a good friend. Do you still keep in touch with this friend? I would contact this friend and ask for the picture. Why wasn't Anisimov in the picture? And, which booth were Ruslan and Artem at? Was it one of the European brands like Opel or Seat?

I won't lie I was too nervous to talk to them and my friend came up to Fedetenko and Anisimov was standing on the side. He didn't send them to me but I think the onus was on me to ask for it. I saw them going down the escalator and they were going up. I didn't want to say anything but my friend went back and found them. I have my issues with this friend (currently we're not on speaking terms) but not because of this.

Reactions: will1066

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
new system along w/ quality of competition is another aspect. He's getting all the tough matchups.

He's a bona fide, complete #1. That's why he's the best defensemen in the league.

Do you see this Adam Fox ?

This is why I say he's no where near his capabilities..... EVER SINCE HE GOT PAID. It's an issue.

Why are we pretending?

txPnUvV.png

@Kocur26 I agree, he's no where near his best. He looks complacent and 'fat'.
Skating around like he's hauling a pallet full $9.5M

He used to be a robot, terminator like. 0 mistakes. 100% the right play/read. If his first 2 seasons were him at 100%, he's at 50-60% now. It's still a good player who puts up points but it feels like being sold a false bill of goods

He could stand to benefit with some less time, but you would think this wouldn't affect him at the beginning of a season? IMO He got paid. He probably has a lot of distractions off the rink now.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I ran into Dan Girardi in the Upper West Side once. It was when they were playing the Capitals in a playoff series one year. He was teaching his little toddler to use a toy hockey stick with a ball in a playground.

I asked if the little guy is going to help him defend against Ovechkin. He said "he's almost ready." It was cute.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Fox had a rough game and now hes complacent and fat.

Lol you guys.
He's had a rough year if I'm judging him by his own previous standards/performance.

This is not because of last game... I didn't even watch last game, until 3rd

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's had a rough year if I'm judging him by his own previous standards/performance.

This game was your fault.

And I disagree with this take. Our top 2 pairings have been fine (at least until games have gotten out of hand.)

Last game was a shit show for everyone not named Chytil and Panarin (sans that OT shift for Panarin.)

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Do you see this Adam Fox ?

This is why I say he's no where near his capabilities..... EVER SINCE HE GOT PAID. It's an issue.

Why are we pretending?

txPnUvV.png

@Kocur26 I agree, he's no where near his best. He looks complacent and 'fat'.
Skating around like he's hauling a pallet full $9.5M

He used to be a robot, terminator like. 0 mistakes. 100% the right play/read. If his first 2 seasons were him at 100%, he's at 50-60% now. It's still a good player who puts up points but it feels like being sold a false bill of goods

He could stand to benefit with some less time, but you would think this wouldn't affect him at the beginning of a season? IMO He got paid. He probably has a lot of distractions off the rink now.
Not sure where my thread got closed. It’s ridiculous the oversensitivity here give it a rest and f***ing grow up.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

They're 5 games into the year.

Leetch had some rough starts to years at various points in his career.

He still has five points.

If Fox is a playoff monster this year, these worries will be laughable.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They're 5 games into the year.

Leetch had some rough starts to years at various points in his career.

He still has five points.

If Fox is a playoff monster this year, these worries will be laughable.
rough year like in an actual calendar year, or to be more precise, I saw a major difference shortly after his extension.

This is not saying he's a bad player. He's just not playing to the level he's already shown us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad