Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
good move for hartford

hes an upstate ny kid.

a younger version of raphi diaz

good wheels and some offensive upside. not terrible defensively either. size is issue along with strength.

good play here.

Unfortunately the bold wasn't true here in Edmonton. A super slow skater and just awful defensively. Was truly a terrible d-man in his 20 games here with the exception of one or two games.

But maybe he just wasn't a good fit with the Oilers and will be able to find a place in your organization and can transfer some of his success in the AHL to the NHL. If not, he should be good AHL depth. Good luck with the player. I don't mean to come in and be a jerk. Just thought I'd provide some insight on his time in Edmonton.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good 8D. Fits the style of defenseman that we need, and he plays the right side. If Graves is ready, he can overtake him, but Clendening will probably be Hartford's first call up, if its an early season call up.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Unfortunately the bold wasn't true here in Edmonton. A super slow skater and just awful defensively. Was truly a terrible d-man in his 20 games here with the exception of one or two games.

But maybe he just wasn't a good fit with the Oilers and will be able to find a place in your organization and can transfer some of his success in the AHL to the NHL. If not, he should be good AHL depth. Good luck with the player. I don't mean to come in and be a jerk. Just thought I'd provide some insight on his time in Edmonton.

Well, we didn't think we got Paul Coffey on a bury-able deal, so no worries. :laugh:

Always so odd to see a guy who people characterize one way from having known him in college/his first organization, and another from the one where he was most recently let go. I mean, obviously the former will be better than the latter, but how can people differ so much on something that should be objectively observable, like speed?

What is it - is he speedy or not?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Right shooting defenseman who put up 59 pts in 70-something games in the AHL 2 years ago. Former 2nd rd pick of the Blackhawks.

I have no idea why he's bounced around so much the last two years, but I like the profile for sure. Heck of a lot better to roll the dice on a guy like this than to sign a Raffi Diaz, IMO.

His skating is not good and he struggles defensively

Hawks moved on from him because they didn't see any improvement in those aspects of his game

Didn't do much to impress front offices in Vancouver/Anaheim/Pittsburgh and Edmonton all moved on from him (Ducks didn't even play him a single game)

He should help out your AHL team but likely has no NHL future at this point outside of injury filler #7 NHL/AHL tweener

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We have a big guy who can really skate in the AHL. He is a former first round pick. People have written him off but in my opinion he is just as good as some of the guys we trade for as defensive depth.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I've been hyping Clendo because of his PP work, but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Researching his past performance, I've found multiple comments on his skating. The thing about it that worries me the most is that several people have stated that it is his backwards skating that is worst, as well as his transition from forward to backwards skating.

I've also found comments that because his backwards skating is so poor, he gets blown past on the outside while trying to defend rushes.

Well, re-watching the game tonight, I found two instances that were of concern.

#1 - Palmieri blew past Clendo in the 1st period like he was standing still. Went right around him on the outside on a rush.

#2 - Hall got off a tricky shot on Raanta through Clendo. Clendo was skating backwards and should have been able to poke the puck away...but Hall made him look a little silly and got the shot off.

When I first saw these things, I figured "it happens". But the further research pointing to these weaknesses has me concerned that this could be a regular occurrence during 5v5 play.

I still like his PP work and am still thinking he could be a good 3rd line option...but having read about and seen the "backwards skating" issues, I'm not as high on him as I was going into tonight. The skating worries me and I'm guessing if he hasn't fixed the issue by now, it will never be fixed. If there is one thing a D-man needs to do...it's skate backwards well.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I've been hyping Clendo because of his PP work, but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Researching his past performance, I've found multiple comments on his skating. The thing about it that worries me the most is that several people have stated that it is his backwards skating that is worst, as well as his transition from forward to backwards skating.

I've also found comments that because his backwards skating is so poor, he gets blown past on the outside while trying to defend rushes.

Well, re-watching the game tonight, I found two instances that were of concern.

#1 - Palmieri blew past Clendo in the 1st period like he was standing still. Went right around him on the outside on a rush.

#2 - Hall got off a tricky shot on Raanta through Clendo. Clendo was skating backwards and should have been able to poke the puck away...but Hall made him look a little silly and got the shot off.

When I first saw these things, I figured "it happens". But the further research pointing to these weaknesses has me concerned that this could be a regular occurrence during 5v5 play.

I still like his PP work and am still thinking he could be a good 3rd line option...but having read about and seen the "backwards skating" issues, I'm not as high on him as I was going into tonight. The skating worries me and I'm guessing if he hasn't fixed the issue by now, it will never be fixed. If there is one thing a D-man needs to do...it's skate backwards well.

He's still young enough that he can work on his skating and it's not like our usual D-men don't get blown past on the outside. Also, Hall makes plenty of good players look bad every game, he's just very good. I think the good by far outweighs the bad with Clendening, especially with our glaring need for a PMD that can QB a PP unit.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He's still young enough that he can work on his skating and it's not like our usual D-men don't get blown past on the outside. Also, Hall makes plenty of good players look bad every game, he's just very good. I think the good by far outweighs the bad with Clendening, especially with our glaring need for a PMD that can QB a PP unit.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I'm overreacting. I went back and looked at the Hall play, and it wasn't bad. He stayed in front of Hall and Hall had to shoot around/through him, so it was not a big deal.

Here is the play where Palmieri goes around him:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Thanks for the response. Perhaps I'm overreacting. I went back and looked at the Hall play, and it wasn't bad. He stayed in front of Hall and Hall had to shoot around/through him, so it was not a big deal.

Here is the play where Palmieri goes around him:

Yeah, looks like he just got caught flat footed at the blueline tbh, it happens. Not enough for me to question his skating honestly. Will keep an extra eye on it during the next game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I just read through all of this. I'm a season ticket holder in Utica. Clendening played here for the latter part of the 2014-15 Calder Cup Finals run. Clendening has failed in every one of his NHL stops and there have been quite a few Chicago, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton and now the Rangers. That's in two seasons since the Hawks traded him to Vancouver. They all discovered the same thing. He is a very poor skater going any direction other than straight ahead. He will lose 1 on 1s vs. fast or slick skaters. His best move when pressured in his own end is a 20 foot high shot for an icing. Given a couple seconds with pressure coming and it's a chest to head high outlet slapper into the neutral zone or farther which again usually results in another icing. He has little patience with his own guys if they are not where he thinks they should be for an outlet pass and instead of looking for where they actually are, he fires it where he thinks they they should be and you guessed it, icing or worse a turnover. On the PP sometimes he gets his shot through and other times it's blocked for the breakaway. He'll make one good move or get off a hard shot or check a slower forward and wow the uneducated, but it doesn't take hockey people long to realize he really isn't all that good.

The real sad part about Vancouver is their brilliant GM traded Forsling for him. At 20, Forsling, recently named the most outstanding Jr in Sweden, is now wowing the Hawks coaching and management staff in preseason. His ceiling is only up and Clendening's is where it is and it's not very high. He pretty much is what he is. Hope your organization didn't give up much for him and that would be anything more than a 2-way base salary as a UFA.

On another note, what is the consensus on Nicklas Jensen if I may ask?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Thanks very much for the input.

Regarding Jensen, it's tough to say. Upon arriving in Hartford, he developed chemistry with one of our older Centers, Marek Hrivik. He netted 15 goals in 41 games. While not a Godly tally, people took notice and many have been hopeful that he could push for a spot in the NHL...especially after his good performance at Olympic Qualifications. Honestly, the qualifications were not against good teams...so it probably should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fast forward to pre-season and he has been played with Centers like McRae (AHLer) and Lapierre (washed-up never-was), so we haven't really seen what he's capable of. The only thing I can tell for sure is that he is a fast, agile skater. Perhaps if he were matched up with some NHL quality guys, he could show us more. At this point, I'd say he's definitely not going to make the team. We're too deep on Wingers. He'll remain as a depth option in Hartford.

Don't really have much else to say. Maybe someone else that has paid better attention to Jensen will chime in, but don't count on it. :P

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I have been so so so impressed with Clendening.

Especially playing a mostly defensive role with Staal last night, I was very encouraged with how he played.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He is calm with the puck and skates well. This is the type of player he was in college, it just took some time for him to develop. Was excited when they signed him. Looks solid

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Hopefully, Clendening is able to keep up his play, because I've been very impressed with him thus far. He's shown very little panic under pressure, which comes in handy when Staal hands him a live grenade. He made a few really nice moves to get the puck out of danger while staring down a heavy forecheck. McDonagh is the only other defender we have capable of those kinds of plays.

His defense has been serviceable as well. He's not going to win a ton of board battles, but as long as he keeps body position as doesn't get beat in 1v1 situations very often, his positives far outweigh the negative aspects of his game.

Staal has looked worlds better with Clendening on his right as opposed to Holden. Staal needs someone to offload the puck to after winning a battle that is capable of making a good outlet pass. He's always done better paired with those types.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's insulated here next to Staal and they both mask each other's weaknesses.

The Rangers let Staal retrieve dumped pucks and pass it to Adam. This way Marc doesn't handle the puck and Adam doesn't have to play the body.

It simply won't work long term as teams expose this but it's how they're masking deficiencies on the back end there.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He's insulated here next to Staal and they both mask each other's weaknesses.

The Rangers let Staal retrieve dumped pucks and pass it to Adam. This way Marc doesn't handle the puck and Adam doesn't have to play the body.

It simply won't work long term as teams expose this but it's how they're masking deficiencies on the back end there.

Unless Staal regresses back to what he was last season, it's going to work just fine. Staal has been really good throughout the preseason and now in the first 3 games. Clendening is a good compliment for him as a puck mover. I'd like to revisit this after 15 games or so, but it's looked good so far.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Just wish AV would trust him a bit more, only got just under 15 minutes of ice team, and that's with McIlrath being benched for an entire period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad