Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
None of those G's you mentioned offer any real bang for the buck. Bishop is bound to get overpaid, Fleury is already overpaid, Halak and Mason are both "meh" with a capital M. Varlamov is the only real one that any team is going to want, especially Vegas....and he has his warts. And would cost more in $$$ thsn Grubauer.

It will really boil down to what George wants. If he wants Grubuaer bad enough, he could easily take Orpik in a separate deal with an assurance we leave Grubauer available. If he doesn't, then we see what the market is for Grubs, and allow him to take someone else, like Schmidt or Wilson. Or they stand pat and try to deal Orpik elsewhere, and lose Grubauer anyway.

My point was the Capitals don't really have any negotiating leverage with other teams prior to the expansion draft. No team is going to pay top dollar for Grubauer when there are so many other options out there, many of which can be had without giving up assets. If the Caps trade Grubby before the expansion draft, it's unlikely they'll be able to get the type of return that similar goaltenders (Martin Jones) got.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Interesting article on espn about the olympics. I hope Ovie goes and he drags a ton of guys with him. I think the IOC screwed this up too, but man bettman is so bad for hockey. He and owners need to realize they can't make NBA/NFL money as long as they keep jockey unpopular

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My point was the Capitals don't really have any negotiating leverage with other teams prior to the expansion draft. No team is going to pay top dollar for Grubauer when there are so many other options out there, many of which can be had without giving up assets. If the Caps trade Grubby before the expansion draft, it's unlikely they'll be able to get the type of return that similar goaltenders (Martin Jones) got.

And my point is the G market which you are characterizing as a flood is full of posers. Bishop is very good, but will cost at least 4x $$$ as Grubauer....maybe more. And he's just one guy...he sent fill 3-4 teams G weaknesses. Varlamov can also be very good, but he's very injury prone and probably will have a higher price tag in trade costs and in salary....oh yes, and he's a bit of a diva. You'd want him over Grubauer?

The rest of who you mentioned is crap. Seriously. Just cause they might be free, doesn't mean it's good or useful. Free stuff is free for a reason. Not sure how that correlates here.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Going on about ole 88, if you had to pick three of these defenders to start on the left side who're you picking?

WVnnHNZ.png

1OuyIyR.png

6Mg1Hf8.png

NpaNLGZ.png

EDIT: If they don't ever fix, here you go. http://imgur.com/a/emzYC

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have long thought McPhee wants Wilson. If Schmidt keeps pumping in the goals, I may have to rethink McPhee targeting Willy to be his enforcer.

Speaking of enforcing. Willy should be hitting with force once again very soon. Ovi has already ramped it up. I do not want to be the guy that is the first to hit Backstrom in the playoffs, for you know Ovi is going to destroy the guy proper.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have long thought McPhee wants Wilson. If Schmidt keeps pumping in the goals, I may have to rethink McPhee targeting Willy to be his enforcer.

Speaking of enforcing. Willy should be hitting with force once again very soon. Ovi has already ramped it up. I do not want to be the guy that is the first to hit Backstrom in the playoffs, for you know Ovi is going to destroy the guy proper.

Boyle is out for the season and into the playoffs apparently after the got runover by Wilson last night.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Pittsburgh Penguins‏Verified account @penguins 12m12 minutes ago
More
Kris Letang will undergo surgery for a herniated disc in his neck. The recovery period is expected to be 4-6 months.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Is there a video of this anywhere? I missed it last night..

He tried to hit Wilson, but Wilson counter hit him.
But after this, he pick up his stick and went full gas to chase the puck. And he took a shift after too. I can't imagine a season ending injury occurs on that play

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Boyle is out for the season and into the playoffs apparently after the got runover by Wilson last night.

I feel like its been months since I have seen Wilson run someone over proper. Not a counter hit, or the run of the mill stuff we see from Brouwer nightly.

He can unleash much more pain than we get to see out of him. Like Ovi recently, dialing up the hitting and its unmistakable. I wonder if the leagues crackdown on him has kept him from dialing up the mega hits.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Obviously you have the discussion / agreement in place with him before you make corresponding moves.

Hard to believe the two guys we thought were the long term anchors on the blueline for this franchise are easily the two biggest liabilities this year.

So let's assume that he signs in NY....like everyone is predicting. What's your plan then is what I was asking? Players have up and down years. Injuries matter. Dumping Carlson while he's down is a mistake IMO. They should be attempting to resign him at less $ at worst.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So let's assume that he signs in NY....like everyone is predicting. What's your plan then is what I was asking? Players have up and down years. Injuries matter. Dumping Carlson while he's down is a mistake IMO. They should be attempting to resign him at less $ at worst.

I honestly don't know. I have a very frank discussion with Carlson's agent about the term and dollar I'm willing to pay and see if it's in the same ballpark. If it's not, I definitely consider trading him. I wasn't a fan of Carlson last year either.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He tried to hit Wilson, but Wilson counter hit him.
But after this, he pick up his stick and went full gas to chase the puck. And he took a shift after too. I can't imagine a season ending injury occurs on that play

reading the Toronto board after the game, they were saying post game presser comments said that Boyle was longer term than day to day.

I am not sure what finishing your shift and having to give it up after a couple more shifts means other than he could still skate and he tried. Carlson last season played full games on a broken ankle.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel like its been months since I have seen Wilson run someone over proper. Not a counter hit, or the run of the mill stuff we see from Brouwer nightly.

He can unleash much more pain than we get to see out of him. Like Ovi recently, dialing up the hitting and its unmistakable. I wonder if the leagues crackdown on him has kept him from dialing up the mega hits.

I think maybe that you are so used to his play that you don't notice these things. He put some poor NJ Devils kid in the hospital in January, I mean if you are looking for highlight reel.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last night Martin was trying to get a piece of Orlov and Wilson shut him down. He pounded Boyle.

Willy has been there all season. Its Ov that has turned the wick up on his game. Add Orpik to that pair and one of those guys is on the ice almost at all times.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Make no mistake. Willy can do more. And will, in just a few weeks..

sorry. I misunderstood. I thought when you said, "I feel like its been months since I have seen Wilson run someone over proper" that you meant you haven't seen him hit someone proper in months. Not that he could do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad