Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Prout Negan'd half the Flyer team. I'd love it if we could get him as our new Erskine.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well....I now have a different view on the xdraft. appears McPhee is going effectively auction off all the unprotected players. When the lists come out, he sends the lists to the other gms and asks them who THEY want and what they are willing to give.

That certainly changes the dynamic a good bit.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
well....I now have a different view on the xdraft. appears McPhee is going effectively auction off all the unprotected players. When the lists come out, he sends the lists to the other gms and asks them who THEY want and what they are willing to give.

Where are you seeing that?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

If true, I honestly hoped and expected he would do this on some level.

I think he'll test the waters and see if anyone is willing to pony up big for him to select a specific player then trade them for younger prospects and picks. They want to be respectable, but they want a few franchise level players. That means being bad for at least 3 years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
it was in a 30 thoughts.

1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-delaying-nhls-olympic-decision/

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
it was in a 30 thoughts.

1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-delaying-nhls-olympic-decision/

Thanks. Could be an exciting summer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So George will be the monopoly banker, the king of the phone for 3 days.

Trades are hard to work out. I don't expect any significant trades to come out of it. It seems like the ground work for many deals can take months to iron out.

He will probably get annoyed at the waves of low ball offers he gets. I'll give you a 6th for Schmidt, 7th for Grubby, and a 5th for Eller. Payback is a *****. I assume players agents and some other GMs still don't like him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Got to hand it to GMGM. This is a very interesting strategy.

Yeah I think many here figured he would be looking mostly to draft value he could flip for other value, but the "auction" is kind of a surprise based on the actual process being revealed.

I still think he'll be under some pressure to produce an interesting, competitive team almost immediately, especially with the Raiders and the NFL coming to Vegas. He can't just draft a bunch of trade bait and take only future picks in return. He will need some full timers.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Raiders are years away still. He'll keep some NHL regulars, he has to, but he won't be shy about fielding a bad team for at least 2 years IMO. I predict ultimately 30-40% of their opening night roster as guys who should probably be in the AHL.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was thinking he will be close to dressing 100% guys playing in the NHL currently. He'll get roughly 30 NHL regulars, so he more likely runs risk of having to bury NHL guys in the AHL unless he trades some, which I am sure he plans to do. To be at 35% AHLers, he will have to trade or demote half the players he selects.

It's the other teams that are all forced to promote an AHL guy to fill the void created by expansion. IMO the league does not want him fielding an AHL grade team. It's bad business.

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah there's no way he's fielding AHL talent. His problem will be lack of elite or even average players. He will have more 3rd liners than anyone has a need for.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Mojo is the NHL's 2nd star of the week after scoring 1 goal and 7 assists in four games. Guys had a great season and is surely one of the most important contributors this team has.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah there's no way he's fielding AHL talent. His problem will be lack of elite or even average players. He will have more 3rd liners than anyone has a need for.

Yep. He will be quickly back to his tricks, trying to parlay grinders into scorers and getting hung up on, while hording his nuts.

He won't quite have the leverage some may think he has, trying to touch off a bid war for a grinder, bottom pair, or backup G. For the other GMs knows he will have an oversupply of the leagues discards, forcing him to lower his ask. It's extreme supply and demand, NHL edition.

The wildcard, is if someone exposes high skill players as the means of a salary dump.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hmmm, has anyone mentioned the possibility of a player being drafted and then traded back to his original team? EXPANSION RANSOM!!!

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Hmmm, has anyone mentioned the possibility of a player being drafted and then traded back to his original team? EXPANSION RANSOM!!!

Unless there's a rule against it, I could see that being the go to move for a team that's like "will give you a first and Grubby if you draft Orpik.".

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto

I thought I saw there was a no trade backs rule.

I recall seeing a rule that a player cannot be traded back to the team prior to January 2018, but I can't seem to find anything with a quick google search.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Dealing Grubauer to a team before the expansion draft is a way to get a crummy return for Grubauer AND then lose another useful player (Schmidt) in expansion. The goalie market is going to be flooded before the expansion draft. Bishop is a UFA, Pittsburgh needs to move or buy out Fleury, Halak is the odd man out in Long Island, Mason is a UFA, and Colorado may try to get rid of Varlamov to protect Pickard. It's going to be hard to get the type of value they want for Grubauer until the market settles down after the expansion draft.

None of those G's you mentioned offer any real bang for the buck. Bishop is bound to get overpaid, Fleury is already overpaid, Halak and Mason are both "meh" with a capital M. Varlamov is the only real one that any team is going to want, especially Vegas....and he has his warts. And would cost more in $$$ thsn Grubauer.

It will really boil down to what George wants. If he wants Grubuaer bad enough, he could easily take Orpik in a separate deal with an assurance we leave Grubauer available. If he doesn't, then we see what the market is for Grubs, and allow him to take someone else, like Schmidt or Wilson. Or they stand pat and try to deal Orpik elsewhere, and lose Grubauer anyway.

Jun 15, 2007
So apparently the NHL has decided they won't go for certain.

Wow.

Our team isn't going to be as good next year and we might be fighting for a playoff spot. Ted has already promised 8 and 19 they can go but I'm hoping they won't.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't mind Ovechkin going.

Terrible decision by the NHL.

I am not sure why its terrible. Its a shame, but with the games in South Korea and not coming in prime time or live at a normal NA time, how much are they losing? Particularly when in that post super bowl, run to the trade deadline period.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wonder how the international federations feel about playing in future World Cups now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad