Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
As we have seen, you don't need a juggernaut to win the Cup. The best team doesn't always win. A team that is good enough to win that gets the right path and makes the right calls wins.

The Caps were good enough to win a cup 4 or 5 times under McPhee and didn't get close. Bad choices and or bad breaks or a bad path. The Caps were good enough last season to win instead of Pittsburgh but didn't. This season's team is good enough to win. This team is more than good enough. Will they?

4 or 5 is overly generous. Just look at the goaltending and defense.

I'd say 2-3 times, tops. 2010 is yes (even in retrospect). Then maybe 2009 and 1998....when they actually lost to the Cup winners. None of the Jagr years or the Oates coached years. Not Hunter's one season. When else?

You give George too much credit. I'd argue Brian has almost matched him in this regard already. Last year and this year. Did it in 3 seasons. Not 17.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sure. They didn't lose to Montreal because of their defense. Meanwhile we now have a strain of thought going that defensive play is overrated.

I don't know...the defense was pretty bad that year, as was the clutch goaltending. If we don't give up so many breakaway and quick goals after peppering Halak with a million shots maybe we move to the 2nd round.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As we have seen, you don't need a juggernaut to win the Cup. The best team doesn't always win. A team that is good enough to win that gets the right path and makes the right calls wins.

The Caps were good enough to win a cup 4 or 5 times under McPhee and didn't get close. Bad choices and or bad breaks or a bad path. The Caps were good enough last season to win instead of Pittsburgh but didn't. This season's team is good enough to win. This team is more than good enough. Will they?

Good enough offensively only it would seem. (Past teams)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yea, 2 or 3 times. And yes, MacLellan has done well in his 3 years and I would say all three of those teams could have won the cup. That said, MacLellan refined the team that McPhee built.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Burakovsky, Carlson, Orlov, Beagle, Wilson, Alzner, Schmidt, Holtby and Grubauer all came from McPhee. The only gimme in that bunch was Ov. Hell LA picked Thomas Hickey instead of Alzner. So Mac had a pretty strong foundation to work with.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's just way more complicated than "they were good enough to win".

Matchups, injuries, etc....

Defensively this is the first roster that truly is talented enough to beat anyone in the league.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Garrett Mitchell returned to Hershey

Chandler Stephenson is staying with caps

This makes zero sense. They have Carey as the extra forward and Hershey is thin at center. It's a short drive to DC if they need an emergency forward and I believe there are flights from Harrisburg directly to Toronto

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Watched about 10-15 games of his this year so small sample but you can take this or leave it. Just my observations, I'm no scout. Guy looks like he has a chance to be a grinder one day. He's got some pretty decent straight on speed. Can take a beating in front of the net to get to the tough areas. He played on the first line in the majority of the games I watched and on the PP1 and PK1 units. Didn't really see much of a shot from him that looked impressive. The majority of his goals I saw were dirty goals. Decent checker but not via explosive hits. Finishes his checks and just flat out does all the right little things to help a team. Even while playing on a bad team (that somehow made the playoffs...) he continued to give his all. Here's a video I posted in the prospects thread from one of the games I watched earlier in the year that really sums up his offensive game.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Anyone else think Shattenkirk has been one of our best defenseman since he's been a Cap? First couple weeks he definitely had some adjusting - but since then he's been on point

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Watched about 10-15 games of his this year so small sample but you can take this or leave it. Just my observations, I'm no scout. Guy looks like he has a chance to be a grinder one day. He's got some pretty decent straight on speed. Can take a beating in front of the net to get to the tough areas. He played on the first line in the majority of the games I watched and on the PP1 and PK1 units. Didn't really see much of a shot from him that looked impressive. The majority of his goals I saw were dirty goals. Decent checker but not via explosive hits. Finishes his checks and just flat out does all the right little things to help a team. Even while playing on a bad team (that somehow made the playoffs...) he continued to give his all. Here's a video I posted in the prospects thread from one of the games I watched earlier in the year that really sums up his offensive game.

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone else think Shattenkirk has been one of our best defenseman since he's been a Cap? First couple weeks he definitely had some adjusting - but since then he's been on point

He's been great. Even aside from his stellar PP contributions he's been good at both ends at ES. Assuming he keeps up his play through the postseason I hope the Capitals can find a way to make a run at re-signing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad