Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Not sure if this has been thrown around, but could there possibly be a Getzlaf and Backstrom swap?

I just don't see Ovechkin being traded. Backstrom seems like the most tradeable asset that will shake the teams core (aside from possibly Carlson). I don't see anywhere else Backstrom could go that would shake things up unless the Capitals are content with getting a 2C and letting Kuznetsov take over the #1 duties.

Ducks get the cheaper player, a skill/grit duo in Backstrom/Kesler, and shake up their team. Washington gets the more prototypical centerman with Kuznetsov behind him.

I don't think the Ducks would do it. Getzlaf is worth every penny to them.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think Vrana is more like Drouin then we'd like to think. He got his taste of the bigs and now the Minors don't taste as sweet. Couple that with a skilled guy, who probably doesn't really fully buy into that two-way game style, its easy to see why he'd fall out of favor up north.

I'd still expect him to be on the team and be at least a 3rd liner next year like Burakovsky was this year.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Sign Radulov instead of Oshie, problem solved :)

Radulov doesn't need the last penny, his salary in KHL was more than Ovi's afair. And he wants a cup.

Low probability, I know. Just an idea (Radulov @ 3 years > Oshie @ 5).

And it actually depends on GMBM's ability to unload Orpik.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If it were up to me, I'd keep this team together as much as possible and fire Trotz.

Boudreau - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby
Hunter - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby
Oates - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby, Wilson, Grubauer, Kuznetsov, Schmidt

How many coaches are you going to permit this core to go through? Obviously the guys like Niskanen, Oshie, and Williams have only been around for the Trotz era (and they're some of the most important members of the supporting cast), but the center of this team has now been to the playoffs with four different coaches. While post-season coaching certainly has never been a strength during their era, it's hard to chalk it all up to the bench boss at this point. Whatever off-season retooling happens almost certainly involves moving out some of the guys who have been here a long time.

Moreover, they can't even keep this team together if they wanted to. The salary cap and the sheer quantity of free agents they have isn't going to make that possible.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Boudreau - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby
Hunter - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby
Oates - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Beagle, Orlov, Holtby, Wilson, Grubauer, Kuznetsov, Schmidt

How many coaches are you going to permit this core to go through? Obviously the guys like Niskanen, Oshie, and Williams have only been around for the Trotz era (and they're some of the most important members of the supporting cast), but the center of this team has now been to the playoffs with four different coaches. While post-season coaching certainly has never been a strength during their era, it's hard to chalk it all up to the bench boss at this point. Whatever off-season retooling happens almost certainly involves moving out some of the guys who have been here a long time.

Moreover, they can't even keep this team together if they wanted to. The salary cap and the sheer quantity of free agents they have isn't going to make that possible.

I don't believe Holtby ever played under Boudreau. He played all of 7 games in '11-'12 and I'm pretty sure that was all under Hunter.

But yeah, point taken.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sign Radulov instead of Oshie, problem solved :)

Radulov doesn't need the last penny, his salary in KHL was more than Ovi's afair. And he wants a cup.

Low probability, I know. Just an idea (Radulov @ 3 years > Oshie @ 5).

And it actually depends on GMBM's ability to unload Orpik.

Radulov was my #1 target this offseason.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Radulov would have had Ovechkin rediscover his love for the game after half a decade of being stuck in bird **** and would have torched the league. They'd have had insane chemistry and combined for like 250 points and been the best line in these playoffs.

But that would have required us not to offload Orpik and his amazing defensive contributions... and Trotz and his great playoff coaching would have probably had to go as well given their history.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So far, the Caps two biggest questions coming into the playoffs, 9 & 92 have stepped up. I'm impressed. One more to go.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Btw, these games are showing how the Caps can be perfectly alright without Ovi, if need be. We've gone through a decade of "Ovi must play with Backstrom", years of "You can't play Ovi with grinders, what a joke", the whole junk pile of "conventional" wisdom.

I hope Ovi has enough left in the tank for a vintage performance in this Game 7 -- and hopefully the rest of the way. But if one thinks objectively about how the Caps move forward, the team is almost certainly better off keeping Oshie & Mojo (+assets, +cap space) -- and trading Ovi, if it comes to that. Well, you can put an asterisk on Oshie, depending on contract length.

They almost certainly won't do it, yadda yadda, but the writing is on the wall. Then again, if the miracle happens this year, then I don't care :)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
While we can consider trading Ovi, Backstrom is still good.

Having Backstrom with more points than Kuzy (both regular season and playoffs so far) should let GMBM to sign Kuzy for 6-6,5M maybe. Backstrom is the better player overall, Brian better be standing firm on that in the negotiations.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So far, the Caps two biggest questions coming into the playoffs, 9 & 92 have stepped up. I'm impressed. One more to go.

The main question beyond 9 was scoring that goes more than 2 lines deep. Kuzy was certainly part of that. So was Burakovsky was also a part of that failure last season and this. The swap of Burt and Ov has brought a 3rd line onto the score sheet. Kuzy is the difference maker when the 3rd line is bring something.

Looks like since the 3 goal outburst in game 5 the 5-0 mid season Caps suddenly showed up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hainsey was viewed as a replacement for Alzner long term.
Shattenkirk everybody knows it's just for the playoffs.

actually Hainsey was being suggested as a short term, one year contract, replacement for Alzner. The argument being that Alzner could be replaced by any aging veteran available on a one year contract.

edit: Any still up for trading Carlson to keep Shattenkirk?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
While we can consider trading Ovi, Backstrom is still good.

Having Backstrom with more points than Kuzy (both regular season and playoffs so far) should let GMBM to sign Kuzy for 6-6,5M maybe. Backstrom is the better player overall, Brian better be standing firm on that in the negotiations.

Blessing in disguise.

Much rather take Kuznetsov with ~60 points in the regular season and near PPG in the Playoffs. Last years Kuznetsov with 77 points in the regular season despite flopping in the Playoffs would have still got an much bigger payday. Whether through long negotiations, straight away, or an offer-sheet.

Hopefully Backstrom having another great season will drive down that Kuznetsov contract a bit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No, but I confess that Schmidt's play has made me start thinking

I think I want to trade Carlson and protect Schmidt :amazed:

If last night's game sheet is any indication, I think that is pretty unlikely. Carlson played 23 minutes and on both special teams while Schmidt played 11 minutes and no special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad