Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Buffalo is the one place I could see entertaining a deal for Ovechkin. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Eichel wants to win now, enough so that he basically got the GM and the coach* fired. Buffalo has salary they could move out (Matt Moulson, Evander Kane), but would likely still want some amount of retention from Washington to make the cap numbers easier to work out down the road (unless they move Okposo). Bringing in a superstar like Ovechkin could really help Pegula put his stamp on the franchise, even more than the Eichel pick.

Question is, what assets would Buffalo be willing to move to make the deal work? Is a place like Buffalo on Ovechkin's limited "Do Not Trade" list?

*Odds of Dan Bylsma being the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

Sabres haven't been to the playoffs in like 6-7 years. They have no defense or goaltenders. Some good offensive pieces in Eichel, Okposo, Kane, and O'Reilly but in order for them to take on Ovechkin's presence and salary one or two of those guys have to go making the team worse off so Ovi would never accept that trade. Add the fact that Eichel has to get paid big during Ovechkin's contract and it is impossible.

The only possible trade available that would make any sense is Ovechkin and picks for Kane. Picks make up for age differential. I cannot think of another trade across the entire NHL that it would work for. If Ovechkin is to get traded in the next 2 years (please don't ever happen) it has to be an NBA trade superstar for superstar Ovi for Kane that is it

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Buffalo is the one place I could see entertaining a deal for Ovechkin. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Eichel wants to win now, enough so that he basically got the GM and the coach* fired. Buffalo has salary they could move out (Matt Moulson, Evander Kane), but would likely still want some amount of retention from Washington to make the cap numbers easier to work out down the road (unless they move Okposo). Bringing in a superstar like Ovechkin could really help Pegula put his stamp on the franchise, even more than the Eichel pick.

Question is, what assets would Buffalo be willing to move to make the deal work? Is a place like Buffalo on Ovechkin's limited "Do Not Trade" list?

*Odds of Dan Bylsma being the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

If they want a surefire way to kill fan support, this would be a sound strategy.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Ovechkin with a modified trade clause (can list ten teams he cannot be traded to), the two teams that come to mind as possible options/destinations would be Montreal and Las Vegas.

Ovechkin seems to have always performed well in Montreal. If the Canadiens resign Radulov, Ovechkin as a possible linemate might interest the Habs. Markov and his 5.75 salary will be coming off the books and if something like Pacioretty (4.5 mil) comes back, though I would prefer Gallagher and Byron, it could work.

GMGM at the helm in Vegas, acquiring Ovie would be a nice way of starting off the franchise (face of the franchise) and of course help the gate and Vegas merchandise sales. But for that same reason, Ted Leonsis might be reluctant in parting ways with Ovie.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I heard the Devils are trying to talk Kovalchuk into coming back. They also just won the draft lottery and I think they had about $10M in cap space last year. They have a bunch of guys in that 5-6M range they could move out to make more space.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And wanna know what's scary? The Caps are up against the cap. The Leafs had the most space at over $24M. The Pens had over $10M.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I heard the Devils are trying to talk Kovalchuk into coming back. They also just won the draft lottery and I think they had about $10M in cap space last year. They have a bunch of guys in that 5-6M range they could move out to make more space.

Taylor Hall

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Penguins are injured. Seriously injured. Multiple marquee players in the press box. And they're kicking the hell out of us.

See below. txpd is correct. The Pens are not beating the Caps. The Caps are beating themselves.

As I recall, Ted hired Trotz as he hired Oates as he hired Cassidy. The only coaches after Ron Wilson that I can think of that were obvious McPhee hires were the two interm coaches which were mid season changes.

The problem is Ted, but its his team.

When Trotz was hired, I said that the Caps problem was the playoffs and they needed a coach with a playoff resume. And so, here we are. Trotz has choked three years in a row.

My view is that this core is permanently damaged now by the repeated flamouts and embarrassments.

I still say they get no where until they own their playoff failures and work to beat them first and foremost. The Caps are losing to their playoff pressure far more than to the Pens.

I was willing to give Trotz a chance, but I too, and I think most here, felt we needed a winning pedigree behind the bench. Clearly that has been shown now to be true. Without that, the core has not had the guidance they needed to break old habits. No amount of bringing in players like Williams can do it when the coach doesn't have the know-how.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Ovechkin with a modified trade clause (can list ten teams he cannot be traded to), the two teams that come to mind as possible options/destinations would be Montreal and Las Vegas.

Ovechkin seems to have always performed well in Montreal. If the Canadiens resign Radulov, Ovechkin as a possible linemate might interest the Habs. Markov and his 5.75 salary will be coming off the books and if something like Pacioretty (4.5 mil) comes back, though I would prefer Gallagher and Byron, it could work.

GMGM at the helm in Vegas, acquiring Ovie would be a nice way of starting off the franchise (face of the franchise) and of course help the gate and Vegas merchandise sales. But for that same reason, Ted Leonsis might be reluctant in parting ways with Ovie.

Vegas signs KHL Center Shipachyov and now rumored to be close to signing his linemate RW Dadonov. Reuniting Ovechkin with GMGM to fill out that line?:popcorn:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Vegas signs KHL Center Shipachyov and now rumored to be close to signing his linemate RW Dadonov. Reuniting Ovechkin with GMGM to fill out that line?:popcorn:

Yeah, 2 or 3 years of FIrst and the guarantee they'd pick Orpik in the expansion draft. :cry:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Orlov-Niskanen is a legit top pairing. Orlov is a #2, no worse than Voynov was when Kings won the cup.

Schmidt made the Leddy jump to a top pairing D.

Kuznetsov may be a top 10 player in the league.

Bura is a 2nd liner now and has realistic top line sniper potential.

Grubauer/Samsonov both have high potential and Grubauer is as NHL proven as a backup to a good starter could be.

Vrana should be a regular next season and could even be a top 6 regular. Johansen isn't that far away.

They could actually do a Flyers 2011 (when they traded Richards and Carter) style retool and if they play it right come out with a better team with much less choking history behind it (or at least one better suited for NuNuNHL). Especially with Vegas in the mix giving a lot more options for wheeling and dealing.

If they don't take this series, they could probably send Ovechkin to Vegas for some of the better younger players GMGM will draft (Brodin + Hagelin + ?) that may not be blue chip but could excel like Schmidt is if put in the right system. Plus GMGM taking Orpik in ED. They could trade send Holtby for best return while going with Grubauer a vet backup placeholder until Samsonov arrives. They could trade Carlson for max value to get capable F/futures back. Keep Backstrom and resign Oshie to a long deal to minimize cap hit (since he'd cost nothing but cap space), have everyone F on the team except Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson be a speed demon (unless they get another high end player who excels without speed), get a really mobile D going, and come out of it all much better adapted for the game going forward. Maybe flop their way in to a CF/beyond like Ottawa or Edmonton might.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Is it to reactionary of me to think that with Holtby's playoff struggles, Grubauer waiting, and Samsonov in the wings, maybe shipping off Holtby at max value would be smart. Look at the goalies left in the playoffs, Allen, Fleury, Talbot, Gibson. Not exactly "Studs" or top tier goalies. Of course The King, Pekka, and Holtby are elite but how far off is Gruabauer from that first group?

Throw a tandem of Grubauer and a veteran goalie and I think the Caps would remain pretty solid in goal.

Just a thought

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I disagree on talks here about moving Holtby. He turns 28 in September and goalies seem to reach their best years in their early 30s. He has not had the best of series, but I still see him as a foundation for this team moving forward.

Not interested in blowing up this team at all. Defense corps/pairings for next season (Niskanen/Orlov and Carlson/Schmidt) are sound. Even with Ovechkin scoring last night, I still believe it's time to move in another direction and for BMAC to explore moving Ovie. Hearing about Vrana's "head case" attitude in Hershey, he might also be a candidate for a change of scenery.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I disagree on talks here about moving Holtby. He turns 28 in September and goalies seem to reach their best years in their early 30s. He has not had the best of series, but I still see him as a foundation for this team moving forward.

Not interested in blowing up this team at all. Defense corps/pairings for next season (Niskanen/Orlov and Carlson/Schmidt) are sound. Even with Ovechkin scoring last night, I still believe it's time to move in another direction and for BMAC to explore moving Ovie. Hearing about Vrana's "head case" attitude in Hershey, he might also be a candidate for a change of scenery.

You will move Ovi before Holtby? Come on, that will never happen. A Holtby trade would be a blockbuster no doubt about it, whens the last time that quality of goalie was moved, it would be a huge haul for the Caps and one to seriously consider.

I support looking into moving Vrana and Bowey as well they both seem to have some mental issues and that won't last in the league. There was an influx of young players across the league playing well this season when given a chance. Vrana easily could have been one of them if he wanted. Look at all the undersize speed and skill young guns out there succeeding. He had the chance and didn't make the most of it. Not opposed to that

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think Holtby should be jettisoned after one bad playoffs run (if they end up losing to the Pens). You give him at least one more chance behind a different squad, imo. But at the same time I would seriously listen to offers....for everyone.

I would like to keep most of the younger guys, though. And Oshie. 88 and 43 are on the uptick, as is Bura. Kuz, I'm waiting to see. With him it's mental. He has elite tools. He's the new Semin in some ways. Crazy skills, needs to "get it" and find his NHL game on a consistent basis.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If the Caps flame out in the playoffs once again, I don't see why they spare Oshie from the wrath. The guy has been a playoff dud his whole career. His two years in Washington have been an improvement compared to St. Louis, but still not on par with Nicklas Backstrom (who everyone seems ready to throw out should the Caps lose). Oshie is also a year older than Backstrom, and will likely cost nearly as much (with a contract to a significantly older age) than Nicky will.

Given the choice between the two, I take Backstrom 10/10 times.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think Holtby should be jettisoned after one bad playoffs run (if they end up losing to the Pens). You give him at least one more chance behind a different squad, imo. But at the same time I would seriously listen to offers....for everyone.

I would like to keep most of the younger guys, though. And Oshie. 88 and 43 are on the uptick, as is Bura. Kuz, I'm waiting to see. With him it's mental. He has elite tools. He's the new Semin in some ways. Crazy skills, needs to "get it" and find his NHL game on a consistent basis.

There is nothing "to see" about Kuz, IMO. Even with flaws, he's a level above Semin in how he makes lines go. At ES, his line has been consistently the best in these playoffs, and the only one able to really skate with the better teams... and oh yeah, he's got 4 in 5 against the Pens. "Getting it" is only one piece of the puzzle. Beagle gets it -- and he's pretty much useless right now.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, 2C is one of the hardest positions to replace. Unless you pull off a miracle trade, Kuz is gonna be a better choice than virtually all of the realistic alternatives.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If the Caps flame out in the playoffs once again, I don't see why they spare Oshie from the wrath. The guy has been a playoff dud his whole career. His two years in Washington have been an improvement compared to St. Louis, but still not on par with Nicklas Backstrom (who everyone seems ready to throw out should the Caps lose). Oshie is also a year older than Backstrom, and will likely cost nearly as much (with a contract to a significantly older age) than Nicky will.

Given the choice between the two, I take Backstrom 10/10 times.

Given the cap crunch and his age, I would agree that Oshie's future is up for debate.

But why in the world would you compare him with Backstrom?? The number of people in the fanbase who'd keep Oshie over Backstrom might be in the single digits. And even then, keeping Oshie "over" Backstrom is meaningless because of the positions involved.

In the coming offseason, the far more likely choice is Oshie vs. Mojo. I'm still on the fence about that one, could see it either way depending on other variables.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Kuzya is a no brainer. I can see him being core in the very near future and he has risen to the challenge this April/May.

Majo-Oshie is a tough call, and it somewhat depends on the long term place for AO. But at the moment, I would go for youth, though I really LOVE what TJ has brought to the team.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Not interested in blowing up this team at all.

Why would we blowing it up? We know what we are getting every time. I just hope this core can pull down another presidents trophy. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Orlov-Niskanen is a legit top pairing. Orlov is a #2, no worse than Voynov was when Kings won the cup.

Schmidt made the Leddy jump to a top pairing D.

Kuznetsov may be a top 10 player in the league.

Bura is a 2nd liner now and has realistic top line sniper potential.

Grubauer/Samsonov both have high potential and Grubauer is as NHL proven as a backup to a good starter could be.

Vrana should be a regular next season and could even be a top 6 regular. Johansen isn't that far away.

They could actually do a Flyers 2011 (when they traded Richards and Carter) style retool and if they play it right come out with a better team with much less choking history behind it (or at least one better suited for NuNuNHL). Especially with Vegas in the mix giving a lot more options for wheeling and dealing.

If they don't take this series, they could probably send Ovechkin to Vegas for some of the better younger players GMGM will draft (Brodin + Hagelin + ?) that may not be blue chip but could excel like Schmidt is if put in the right system. Plus GMGM taking Orpik in ED. They could trade send Holtby for best return while going with Grubauer a vet backup placeholder until Samsonov arrives. They could trade Carlson for max value to get capable F/futures back. Keep Backstrom and resign Oshie to a long deal to minimize cap hit (since he'd cost nothing but cap space), have everyone F on the team except Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson be a speed demon (unless they get another high end player who excels without speed), get a really mobile D going, and come out of it all much better adapted for the game going forward. Maybe flop their way in to a CF/beyond like Ottawa or Edmonton might.

A nice outline for a major retool. I'd be perfectly happy with it -- ofc, my expectations are for something much smaller.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd like to see them take a look at Jordan Eberle this offseason if they go with a retool rather than blowing it up.

A low shooting percentage this season led to him "only" scoring 20 goals and he has seemingly fallen out of favor in Edmonton, but he's on average a 60 point player and could be a good replacement for Oshie or Williams if the Caps move on from one or both. Eberle makes $6M against the cap for two more seasons for his ages 27-28 seasons and I see that as preferable to 6 years at close to $6M for Oshie's ages 30-35 seasons.

The Caps would have to give something up to make it happen and I'm not sure what, but it seems like a perfect buy low opportunity.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not sure if this has been thrown around, but could there possibly be a Getzlaf and Backstrom swap?

I just don't see Ovechkin being traded. Backstrom seems like the most tradeable asset that will shake the teams core (aside from possibly Carlson). I don't see anywhere else Backstrom could go that would shake things up unless the Capitals are content with getting a 2C and letting Kuznetsov take over the #1 duties.

Ducks get the cheaper player, a skill/grit duo in Backstrom/Kesler, and shake up their team. Washington gets the more prototypical centerman with Kuznetsov behind him.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

The return for Vrana right now won't be much, certainly doesn't match his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad