Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVIII (It's Working! Let's Fix It.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Caps, Rangers, Canadians mentioned as teams interested in Doan per the local paper here. He would be a great addition to the 4th line. Invaluable as a leader and can still chip in.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Not against getting Doan but would have to be cheap considering it appears his offense is gone and he would be fourth line. Much rather pony up for Duchene or even something cheaper for Sharp although I haven't followed why hes only played 20 games this season.

espn saying shattenkirk available also.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I think its too late for Duchene. Team does not have enough time to develop chemistry with him before the playoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Doan is getting long in the tooth, has a big salary, and would definitely have to be a 4th liner which would mean either Wilson or Winnik (2 of our crucial PKers) would have to sit.

Lets not even get into the salary juggling and assets the Yotes will want.

Duchene??? A top 6 center making $6 million?? What are we going to move out Kuznetsov? Is Duchene even an upgrade??

We have zero need for him and have no room on the roster or the salary cap for him much less the massive assets it would cost.

You dare question my ability to read the Internet? How dare you sir! :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Just lookin out! :)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
1 injury away from our #6-7 being Chorney and Ness. I don't like that.
Neither do I but they can upgrade over those two without paying a premium for a top 4. They need someone better than Mike Weber, certainly someone with decent mobility, but as-is I doubt they acquire a defender that jumps Schmidt in the lineup.

There are a number of roster spots where they could theoretically upgrade. Marcus Johansson hasn't been that productive over the past month or so. They could use a faster skilled RW compared to Oshie/Williams. A possession LD would get the puck north quicker and be more dangerous than Alzner, although they may already have that in Schmidt. I'm skeptical they'll take that serious an evaluation of the roster should they continue to battle for first in the Metro from now until the deadline. They're way more likely to tweak as usual, even if there is a recognition that this may be their best opportunity.

There's also the matter of lacking picks after the Eller trade. They don't have second rounders to sling around until 2019 and even in a relatively weak draft they shouldn't move the first rounder unless it's a stellar move. Is Vanek that move? They'd need to integrate him into the PP somehow the reap the benefits of that add in full. All of which tends to point to them targeting value and fit more than stacking talent most likely...unless their performance dips and causes concern. Due to how tight they are against the cap and those performance factors, they likely don't make a move until at the deadline.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Doan is getting long in the tooth, has a big salary, and would definitely have to be a 4th liner which would mean either Wilson or Winnik (2 of our crucial PKers) would have to sit.

Lets not even get into the salary juggling and assets the Yotes will want.

Duchene??? A top 6 center making $6 million?? What are we going to move out Kuznetsov? Is Duchene even an upgrade??

We have zero need for him and have no room on the roster or the salary cap for him much less the massive assets it would cost.

Just lookin out! :)

agree with all your concerns but this is win now. why cant they stack the team. Duchene doesnt have to play center. Just dont want them to say after the season when they dont win well we tried and now the team is splitting up. You cant have enough scoring. Really dont care about a bunch of prospects and picks 2 to 3 years away when Ovi and backstrom will be massively declining

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
agree with all your concerns but this is win now. why cant they stack the team. Duchene doesnt have to play center. Just dont want them to say after the season when they dont win well we tried and now the team is splitting up. You cant have enough scoring. Really dont care about a bunch of prospects and picks 2 to 3 years away when Ovi and backstrom will be massively declining

who do you move out for duchene?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space

Who's spot would he take?

How could we afford him cap wise?

What few prospects do we have that you would give up?

Stacking the team? We ALREADY have a stacked team! We just need them to get hot at the right time and getting Duchene in no way guarantees that.

$6 million is a lot of $$ and the Avs are looking for a top 4 D that is young at minimum.

I would not trade Johansson+Orlov for him as it would disrupt chemistry, leave holes on the team and put us in a tighter salary cap situation. And that's IF Colorado would accept that trade which they probably would not.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Who's spot would he take?

How could we afford him cap wise?

What few prospects do we have that you would give up?

Stacking the team? We ALREADY have a stacked team! We just need them to get hot at the right time and getting Duchene in no way guarantees that.

$6 million is a lot of $$ and the Avs are looking for a top 4 D that is young at minimum.

I would not trade Johansson+Orlov for him as it would disrupt chemistry, leave holes on the team and put us in a tighter salary cap situation. And that's IF Colorado would accept that trade which they probably would not.

Im saying in general, doesnt have to be Duchene but a serious impact player. Havent looked at all the caps numbers and what not. As I said if the team is really going to be different next season with losing UFAs/key players id rather they went for it now, so depending on what player they would go after any prospect or pick is available. I cant believe im finally saying this as i was a long time hater but I wouldnt move Mojo now. As far as pushing someone out of the lineup anyone 3rd line or below can be pushed out for the right player. Why cant they have a superstar playing on the 3rd line ala pitts. Im saying this is the best chance they are going to have for a while, why waste it worrying about 2 to 3 years down the road. As I said Ovi is only getting older.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Im saying in general, doesnt have to be Duchene but a serious impact player. Havent looked at all the caps numbers and what not. As I said if the team is really going to be different next season with losing UFAs/key players id rather they went for it now, so depending on what player they would go after any prospect or pick is available. I cant believe im finally saying this as i was a long time hater but I wouldnt move Mojo now. As far as pushing someone out of the lineup anyone 3rd line or below can be pushed out for the right player. Why cant they have a superstar playing on the 3rd line ala pitts. Im saying this is the best chance they are going to have for a while, why waste it worrying about 2 to 3 years down the road. As I said Ovi is only getting older.

but we are a cap team, we are maxed out, in order to get this "impact" player you'd have to do a player for player swap/trade with a team and they would have to still make the salary fit, this team IS about as good as it can get. BMac built this team in the off season when it's cheaper to do so than trying to add a big impact player at the deadline.

Winnik is the impact player this year that we wished he was last year, he is playing so much better now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space

Who says its about 2 or 3 years down the road?? Making a move for a "big name" would constitute moving out CURRENT players who are part of the league leading NHL team.

It would hurt us THIS year as well as 2 or 3 years down the road.

I'd suggest you go ahead and look at the Cap numbers. We have almost zero room which would mean we'd have to send out money to bring it in and pretty much all our guys are on bargain contracts hence why we have a "stacked" team.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Simple:

Stand pat or make a splash addition.

My vote is to add a legit scoring threat to tide us over for the inevitable fact that one or more of Kuzy, Williams, Oshie, Burra, Eller or Mojo are going to go through dry spells. We need to be able to score with the big boys when the time comes and that's the part of our game that has ultimately dried up come playoff time.

It gives them a couple months to explore lines and then ramp up and fine tune.

The mantra of this organization should be Win the Cup This Year ... or, at least, leave no stone unturned trying. Continuing to draft first rounders every year does nothing for the Ovechkin Caps except as trade bait for people who can help us win now...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Simple:

Stand pat or make a splash addition.

My vote is to add a legit scoring threat to tide us over for the inevitable fact that one or more of Kuzy, Williams, Oshie, Burra, Eller or Mojo are going to go through dry spells. We need to be able to score with the big boys when the time comes and that's the part of our game that has ultimately dried up come playoff time.

It gives them a couple months to explore lines and then ramp up and fine tune.

The mantra of this organization should be Win the Cup This Year ... or, at least, leave no stone unturned trying. Continuing to draft first rounders every year does nothing for the Ovechkin Caps except as trade bait for people who can help us win now...

So we should trade one of those guys for some random other guy who we are sure won't go thru a dry spell?? Clearly you can read into the future here.

Again..we are a cap team. We have no cap space. I don't think some people here seem to comprehend this. WE WILL HAVE TO MOVE OUT A ROSTER PLAYER IN ORDER TO BRING ONE IN.

Also our forwards are perfectly slotted and in order to bring someone in we have to move someone out.

I don't believe you are thinking this thru very well. Its not like we can trade our 1st rounder + a prospect for a scoring winger making $4 mil or so. Even if we could I doubt we should.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
So we should trade one of those guys for some random other guy who we are sure won't go thru a dry spell?? Clearly you can read into the future here.

Again..we are a cap team. We have no cap space. I don't think some people here seem to comprehend this. WE WILL HAVE TO MOVE OUT A ROSTER PLAYER IN ORDER TO BRING ONE IN.

Also our forwards are perfectly slotted and in order to bring someone in we have to move someone out.

I don't believe you are thinking this thru very well. Its not like we can trade our 1st rounder + a prospect for a scoring winger making $4 mil or so. Even if we could I doubt we should.

just looked at the numbers, yep were screwed. Just to annoy everyone and half kidding

1st
Bowey
Orpik
Burakovsky (might be alone but dont think he would be missed)

for

Duchene
tyutin

I get it we are at the cap and will lose in the 2nd round relying on Winniks new found scoring touch

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The other thing is, we have to keep an eye on what Pittsburgh is doing too. If they make a big move, we might have to go in and make a big trade as well. This is WWI all over again -- the arms race between the two major powers (Britain and Germany)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Neither do I but they can upgrade over those two without paying a premium for a top 4. They need someone better than Mike Weber, certainly someone with decent mobility, but as-is I doubt they acquire a defender that jumps Schmidt in the lineup.

There are a number of roster spots where they could theoretically upgrade. Marcus Johansson hasn't been that productive over the past month or so. They could use a faster skilled RW compared to Oshie/Williams. A possession LD would get the puck north quicker and be more dangerous than Alzner, although they may already have that in Schmidt. I'm skeptical they'll take that serious an evaluation of the roster should they continue to battle for first in the Metro from now until the deadline. They're way more likely to tweak as usual, even if there is a recognition that this may be their best opportunity.

There's also the matter of lacking picks after the Eller trade. They don't have second rounders to sling around until 2019 and even in a relatively weak draft they shouldn't move the first rounder unless it's a stellar move. Is Vanek that move? They'd need to integrate him into the PP somehow the reap the benefits of that add in full. All of which tends to point to them targeting value and fit more than stacking talent most likely...unless their performance dips and causes concern. Due to how tight they are against the cap and those performance factors, they likely don't make a move until at the deadline.

You're chasing your tail if you're trying to upgrade guys who go through streak like Mojo. Most players do. I agree though.....tweak the roster, tweak the system are probable IMO, not big changes, barring a big dropoff in performance.

Your mention of a lack of 2nd rounders is partially why I believe they're unlikely to deal their 1st unless it's for a guy they will keep. Would be nice to be wrong and see a real impact pickup though...

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
just looked at the numbers, yep were screwed. Just to annoy everyone and half kidding

1st
Bowey
Orpik
Burakovsky (might be alone but dont think he would be missed)

for

Duchene
tyutin

I get it we are at the cap and will lose in the 2nd round relying on Winniks new found scoring touch

That's a pretty brutal trade man...

If anything we need to upgrade the D and Tyutin is absolutely washed up while Orpik has been more than solid. He would be our 7th Dman and Chorney would slot into the top 6 which is awful.

And yes we would miss Burakovsky. A young puck possession hog on the cheap going forward. Not to mention that 1st and Bowey.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
That's a pretty brutal trade man...

If anything we need to upgrade the D and Tyutin is absolutely washed up while Orpik has been more than solid. He would be our 7th Dman and Chorney would slot into the top 6 which is awful.

And yes we would miss Burakovsky. A young puck possession hog on the cheap going forward. Not to mention that 1st and Bowey.

Well we will have to agree disagree. The good teams that win Cups make those impact moves and the caps never do that. They trade for terrible players that have either lost their game (Erat) or are at the end of their careers (Arnott). Tyutin/Orpik is a wash at worst and Tytuin would be gone in the offseason. We are stuck with Orpik declining and eating up the cap. Guess my opinion of 65 isnt up to date but was under the impression from other posters if he isnt scoring goals then he really doesnt do anything. The pick and Bowey you have to give to get. Rather take a shot at a tittle and miss then sit here with all my draft picks that arent worth anything at the end of the first round. Hope im wrong and you are right.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Havent posted in awhile sorry if this sounds dumb, but all of you saying we'll have no space to add anyone at the deadline aren't you wrong? It says here we should have around $4 million, or is that not correct? https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/capitals
That's my impression but that can easily change with a couple of short-term injuries. I haven't run the numbers personally to verify but I don't believe some of the reports of forced dollar-in, dollar-out moves. It could be closer to that if they do something earlier on or have a number of call-ups on the roster for a while. But they are intentionally going with just twelve forwards now in order to maximize this flexibility. So they are at least trying to maintain as much cap flexibility as possible for deadline contingencies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Guess its your definition of "BAD". But the for instance the 1981-82 Canucks were under .500. The 06 Oilers were .500. The North Stars in 80-81 were in an awful division and were not a good team.

I guess it depends on your definition in the end but you NEVER see mediocre/bad teams make the NBA finals or the Superbowl whereas in hockey you do. IMO at least

I didn't know we were aspiring to be the mediocre team that somehow made the finals, I'd rather be the 81 and 82 Islanders and the 06 Hurricanes.

The list of mediocre winners is non existent, as I said mediocre teams can make runs but they don't ultimately win it all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Well we will have to agree disagree. The good teams that win Cups make those impact moves and the caps never do that. They trade for terrible players that have either lost their game (Erat) or are at the end of their careers (Arnott). Tyutin/Orpik is a wash at worst and Tytuin would be gone in the offseason. We are stuck with Orpik declining and eating up the cap. Guess my opinion of 65 isnt up to date but was under the impression from other posters if he isnt scoring goals then he really doesnt do anything. The pick and Bowey you have to give to get. Rather take a shot at a tittle and miss then sit here with all my draft picks that arent worth anything at the end of the first round. Hope im wrong and you are right.

Tyutin is atrocious. He has been a sub 50 corsi player in like 5 of his last 6 years. In 3 of his last 4 he's been a sub corsi rel player too so even on a bad possession team he is awful. 43.9% this year with a -3.8 rel. Orpik has been respectable with the Caps the last 2 seasons and is above water.

Not to mention Orpik provides the leadership they were looking for, has won a cup, and is BY FAR more physical.

So no....Tyutin does not equal Orpik.

Whoever wants Bura gone is smoking crack. He is a near 55% possession player! He is young, cost controlled and getting better.

I don't understand the fascination with a $6 million undersized center that we will have to play at wing. Is he a good player? Sure. But so was Jagr when we got him. Doesn't mean he is a good fit.

I didn't know we were aspiring to be the mediocre team that somehow made the finals, I'd rather be the 81 and 82 Islanders and the 06 Hurricanes.

Wait...did I say we are a mediocre team this year?? We are STACKED!

The big difference between this year and last year? Last year we were a decent possession team and over 50%. I think we finished 13th or 14th.

This year we have been in the top 5 from the get go.

We also have a lot of guys capable of giving much more in terms of production.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad