Player Discussion Aatu Raty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sounds like a player, who has a lot of talent. However, needs to become more confident.
I think its all about how far he is able to take his skating.

From what I hear asking around in Oulu.. Aatu is a very hard worker on and off the ice, has the skill needed already, has a frame that can carry more muscle still and he is not small by any means as it is.

There was a thing about his skating. He said in an interview in Finnish that he worked extremely hard on his skating and found it odd that he was not making progress there. In everything else he worked hard on he would make very quick progress.

I hope the player development team of the Canucks can find something there to fix and fix it.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think its all about how far he is able to take his skating.

From what I hear asking around in Oulu.. Aatu is a very hard worker on and off the ice, has the skill needed already, has a frame that can carry more muscle still and he is not small by any means as it is.

There was a thing about his skating. He said in an interview in Finnish that he worked extremely hard on his skating and found it odd that he was not making progress there. In everything else he worked hard on he would make very quick progress.

I hope the player development team of the Canucks can find something there to fix and fix it.
Have him ring up Bo and get advice on how to improve his skating.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finally, a natural center prospect to get somewhat excited about. The Abbotsford Canucks are currently using Chase Wouters; Nils Aman, Chad Rau and Justin Dowling down the middle.

Nothing against those players, but Aatu automatically becomes their top-line center. Just for selfish reasons, would like to seem him between Podkolzin and Klimovich in his debut.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Finally, a natural center prospect to get somewhat excited about. The Abbotsford Canucks are currently using Chase Wouters; Nils Aman, Chad Rau and Justin Dowling down the middle.

Nothing against those players, but Aatu automatically becomes their top-line center. Just for selfish reasons, would like to seem him between Podkolzin and Klimovich in his debut.

You expect him to automatically be a better AHL player than Dowling right now?

Reactions: MS

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
There is something about Finnish names that are highly addictive to my brain yet drive me insane.

Is it just me or does every one taking about AR have to constantly pronounce both his first and last name fifty times throughout the video as if we've forgotten who they're talking about? Its as if they want a gold star for having learned how to pronounce his last name properly

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
There is something about Finnish names that are highly addictive to my brain yet drive me insane.

Is it just me or does every one taking about AR have to constantly pronounce both his first and last name fifty times throughout the video as if we've forgotten who they're talking about? Its as if they want a gold star for having learned how to pronounce his last name properly
it's just way too fun to say.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Pretty meh debut. You can definitely see why his billing is defensive responsibility. And his skating wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But basically invisible for most of the game. He does seem willing to go to the hard areas in front of the net but PDG just ignored him every time. I would already try him on another line.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Pretty meh debut. You can definitely see why his billing is defensive responsibility. And his skating wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But basically invisible for most of the game. He does seem willing to go to the hard areas in front of the net but PDG just ignored him every time. I would already try him on another line.
To be fair...first game in a new organization. Lots of travel. I'd give him 10-15 games before we start saying he's this or that. Unless he was pegged as a superstar which would be a different thing.

Reactions: mossey3535

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I doubt we see huge point totals for Raty this season, New Organziation who will probably want him to work on different things then the Islanders did and there is going to be an adjustment period to get use to his new teammates and system

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Over the course of his long career as an NHL GM, Lou Lamoriello has rarely given up on a young player who ever amounted to much. That's just the reality of situation.

All you can hope is that the Canucks scouts have been following this kid since junior, and during his brief pro career, and have a different projection.

Raty scored a goal in his only game against the Canucks at Rogers Arena in an Islanders blowout, and had a strong game. But surely they're basing their assessment of this player on more than that.

But I guess as with any prospects, only time will tell.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Over the course of his long career as an NHL GM, Lou Lamoriello has rarely given up on a young player who ever amounted to much. That's just the reality of situation.

All you can hope is that the Canucks scouts have been following this kid since junior, and during his brief pro career, and have a different projection.

Raty scored a goal in his only game against the Canucks at Rogers Arena in an Islanders blowout, and had a strong game. But surely they're basing their assessment of this player on more than that.

This doesn't sound like a player that is currently the automatic #1C by default in Abbotsford.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Brandan Morrison was pretty good

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i just checked and you are right. the only noteworthy players i can see that lou has ever traded away as prospects are willie mitchell, stephane yelle, and kirk mclean. so we got one of the three that got away in 35 years.

yelle was traded at the 1994 draft out of junior with an 11th round pick to move up 15 spots in the 11th round

mclean had 4 nhl games and went in the sundstrom deal

mitchell had 18 nhl games and went for sean o'donnell in a tdl deal

looking at lou's record though i don't see a record of fleecing gms with hyped up prospects in big trades. he has usually moved out fairly valuable roster pieces and picks in big trades.

Brandan Morrison was pretty good

morrisson had 131 games with the devils. greg adams had 180 games. i would say they were in a different category.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
would say the Raty looks like a excellent 3rd line center who can get 30 pts in a year and there is nothing wrong with that. they need to find in this draft a RHS Center who is a legit 2nd line center behind Pety

Nils Aman can become a elite 4th line center.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I checked Lou’s more recent history of trades with the NYI and Toronto. I honestly don’t see a lot of meaningful moves in that time period. He usually trades to acquire role players.
Might have to go back to the Schneider trade that turned into Horvat for a big one.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The 1st overall hype never materialized. He dropped to the 2nd round for a reason.

He is not really lighting it up in the AHL right now either. This is a B level prospect.

This is the thing. Yes, he's got "name recognition", but realistically, how many of these sort of "top pick" hyped players who have a massive fall-off and tumble down the rankings in their actual draft year ever actually rebound to become any sort of "impact player"?

It just doesn't happen. Like you said...he fell for a reason. Under the microscope, people started to see the flaws in him as a prospect. I think his hype was largely related to way too early flashes, and because he was physically mature enough to play up a bit internationally. Just not the profile of a "blue chip prospect". He's not a hopeless project, but i think a "B Prospect" is fair. He's got a shot to become an NHL player. Probably shouldn't expect anything more than that.

He does have that kinda weird shot release. I don't like it. It feels telegraphed to me, in a way that i'm not sure works well in the NHL. But there's definitely something kind of tricky about it. Maybe there's something there...but for all the flack Benning took for liking prospects who "shoot the puck real good"...it feels like this current regime are even more overly committed to this. But in a way where...i'm not sure the guys they're grabbing actually even shoot that well, in an NHL sense. Tight windows to get shots off, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad