Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snipesaitl

Jul 3, 2019
Keith needs to retire

Would be great if he did but I don’t think he wants to screw over his old team with the cap recapture.

Best case scenario we find a way for him to
LTIRetire if that’s what he wants.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Make a trade maybe? It's not our job to fill in glaring holes.
Even with trades. I looked at all available UFAs and all goalies traded in season this past year. There’s a list here posted. Find me a for sure better option that Smith that was realistic for Holland to get.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Just look at Toronto.

They're right in the middle of their cup contention window and they can't find consistent goaltending either. Multiple swings and misses.

I think Skinner needs a chance next year to see what he can do but I'm ready to move on from Smith. I think he was fantastic the first 2 rounds and I ate a whole lot of crow saying he was done earlier in the year but he got picked apart by Colorado and it's not like he'll be any better next year.
This , soo much negativity around him when realistically the best opportunity to have a quality goalie usually comes from within the organization. He showed *major* growth last year and deserves to get a shot this year. He's a 3rd rounder who's working his way up.

I get why though. If Skinner fails then we're back to banking on Smith, which isn't ideal. He would be fine as a regular backup only going forward.

Either way, I think when you consider the cap this is the most realistic scenario. The only other goalie option that might make sense is Gibson ( to me ) but I'm thinking Toronto is more desperate. Campbell maybe? Not sure, but those options would mean no Kane .... I think.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
This series made me lose a lot of confidence in having Woodcroft as our HC going forward. He showed that he's too player-loyal, to the point of stubborness. First with playing Nurse a ton of minutes aginst the opposition's top players over and over, regardless of how bad he was struggling. Then sticking with Smith no matter how much momentum he was killing for his team, with his gafts and attrocious play, while seeming that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of starting the backup.
If you didn't have a contract for next season and didn't really have anyone better to play, what would you do? This man turned around a sinking ship and brought us to the playoffs. In half a f*cking season. There are lots if things to complain about, but having woodcroft as a coach isn't one of them.

Reactions: Mr McV and RattsSSV

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Well that’s that, a good season overall, we beat the Flamers, and that’s a big fan victory.

Fighting the refs is so exhausting, I wish that it was even across the board, at this point if we get the Avs treatment one year I won’t blink an eyelid, we will have deserved it.

MacKinnon is a punk, he reminds me of Lebron in his personality, said he’d give 10 first round pick for Arturri because the guys will be long gone before those guys make an impact. I hope that piece of shit never wins the Stanley Cup, have some f***ing class.

It’s been a pleasure in the threads, time to pop in and out till the draft and free agency.

Last edited:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Solid season that could be considered a great season if they build on it next year.

If a goalie isn’t priority #1 this summer i am taking the first half of the year off until skinner steals the net from Smith……

Reactions: KarmaPolice

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just look at Toronto.

They're right in the middle of their cup contention window and they can't find consistent goaltending either. Multiple swings and misses.

I think Skinner needs a chance next year to see what he can do but I'm ready to move on from Smith. I think he was fantastic the first 2 rounds and I ate a whole lot of crow saying he was done earlier in the year but he got picked apart by Colorado and it's not like he'll be any better next year.
Smith wasn’t good this series. Our D was also pretty bad right there with him. That being said, of course we should look for better. Skinner was legit the best eye test looking goalie we had since preseason game 1. I was calling for him to get a real shot all year, but when he was sent down it became apparent that we were ride or die with Smith so it made no sense at that point to call up Skinner.

Next year, Skinner needs to be given a real chance I agree.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Just got home from the game, what a roller coaster of an evening that basically encapsulated the Oilers season Ina single game. Lots of lessons but they are lost if management doesn’t do something (gulp).

- with Kane and Yammo out there were really only 5 forwards that could compete at the level necessary. KassIan with the honourable mention to make it 6. After that just too many guys not up for this moment. Some will get there(McLeod, some are past it and some might never.
-the d is not strong enough against the Cycle and make a lot of bad reads. That is coupled with an entire team that just couldn’t play the simple game when up by 2 goals twice in the third.
-the only thing consistent about the goaltending this year was it couldn’t be counted on. Needed a save, and needed better situational awareness in the 4-2.
-lost the special teams battle.

at the end of the day the Avs are superior, but are an easy time to dislike which is too bad. They have a lot of players that one could cheer for if some of the other crap wasn’t so grating. The Oilers needed perfection to make this a series and as a team they just weren’t that.

Reactions: Patch101

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
This series made me lose a lot of confidence in having Woodcroft as our HC going forward. He showed that he's too player-loyal, to the point of stubborness. First with playing Nurse a ton of minutes aginst the opposition's top players over and over, regardless of how bad he was struggling. Then sticking with Smith no matter how much momentum he was killing for his team, with his gafts and attrocious play, while seeming that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of starting the backup.
I still have 100% confidence in Woodcroft. He turned a non-playoff team around with very little time. He achieved something respectable this year and definitely established himself as an NHL coach.

I want to see how the team looks when he has a full season to implement his coaching.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Our forwards didn’t help enough in the defensive zone, they were more concerned about breaking the rush than making clean exits and helping on coverage. A lot of goals ended up on the net due to lost puck battles by forwards resulting in odd man situations.
This so true. Winning puck battles and our forwards helping our D is exactly what got us into the playoffs. That strategy was basically abandoned after the LA series and maybe one game against Calgary. It's a tough way to play but that's what was needed because of our backend deficiencies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Solid season that could be considered a great season if they build on it next year.

If a goalie isn’t priority #1 this summer i am taking the first half of the year off until skinner steals the net from Smith……

This off-season is all about the goaltending and Kane. The rest is secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad