Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
This series made me lose a lot of confidence in having Woodcroft as our HC going forward. He showed that he's too player-loyal, to the point of stubborness. First with playing Nurse a ton of minutes aginst the opposition's top players over and over, regardless of how bad he was struggling. Then sticking with Smith no matter how much momentum he was killing for his team, with his gafts and attrocious play, while seeming that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of starting the backup.

Agree. Trotz has earned himself an interview. Woodcroft was so stubborn to go 11 7 til too late. He refused to scratch Archibald until too late. He refused to manage Smith at all. Nurse wasn't sheltered and now finally last game of the season he puts Bouchard pp#1.

Just bizarre low hanging fruit choices he made all around. Unacceptable.

Reactions: TypeSly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Look at his stats. Gouda’s would be fantastic. Ok. Maybe not top pair, but second pair.

Gouda’s had 17 points and was +27. Had 105 pim.
Gudas plays high end 3rd pairing minutes low end second pairing and is pretty sheltered. Also he is 31, not like he is about to breakup. I wouldn’t mind adding him but that means Bouchard is suddenly a shutdown top pairing d or we are moving him or Ceci out.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We won 2 playoff rounds to get to this point. Haven't done that in 16 years. This is the first step in what it takes to get to a championship. Teams don't go from 1st round losses to Cup championships in 1 year.

Why would anyone be blaming Woodcroft right now? f*** off with that shit.
Pretty sure coach chooses the starting goalie

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pulju + Barrie for Skjei
Keith retires

Keith retiring is not as much of a stretch as some might think. His actual salary next year is low.
It’s a stretch cause by all accounts he wants to play for a few more years. He went to the conference finals this year, he is going to think he got tons more in the tank.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's way worse than Kane.

Kane atleast was at end of shift and in a speed position that exacerbates the play.

Landeskog has nothing but numbers, wraps Kass up, throws him down 3 ft from the boards and drives his head into the boards. It's a 5x more dangerous and dirty play.
And he feigned injury afterward to make it seem like he was the victim.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
God watching that goal and seeing Keith get absolutely destroyed is so deflating. He lost the battle then he let him skate behind him for a easy rebound goal.
In fairness a spectacular play by Lehkonen, who is no stranger to making those kinds of monumental game and series winning plays around the net. Was a perfect deflection, and then potting the rebound. We never get a goal like that from the punters we've brought in. Lehkonen is quality, thats the difference. I mentioned before Helm was also valuable all series, and there he was late in game OWNING Connor McDavid on the boards, getting to the net, and almost getting the winning goal. We just don't have the bottom players that Holland has brought in making those kind of plays. Target the right help and maybe we do. Colorado got better. Other than Kane rental we didn't.

Reactions: McHelpus

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Gudas plays high end 3rd pairing minutes low end second pairing and is pretty sheltered. Also he is 31, not like he is about to breakup. I wouldn’t mind adding him but that means Bouchard is suddenly a shutdown top pairing d or we are moving him or Ceci out.

Well, it does not have to be Gouda’s. I was hoping for Something like Braun.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Smith, Keith and especially Nurse were catastrophic this series.

McDavid was on a mission, If he was on any other 15 teams that made the playoffs he would've take any of them to the final.

It breaks my heart to see a talent like that being wasted.
To be fair to Nurse, he had a torn hip flexor and it most likely needs surgery. He can't play 25+ minutes a night being A+ with an injury like that.

Also, Mackinnon never made it to the Conference Final for 9 years. So it's not just us.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pulju + Barrie for Skjei
Keith retires

Keith retiring is not as much of a stretch as some might think. His actual salary next year is low.

Problem is that he wont "retire". Maybe he does go on LTIR. But trying to get the roster under the cap in the offseason is a bit of a nightmare with both him and Klefbom not playing (not sure if any special rules for Klefbom since hes been out for so long). Maybe we trade some players to Arizona or something, but its still not ideal.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
I love that the boys didn't give up, even after the Avs went ahead in the third.

Draisaitl and Nurse was warriors for playing hurt and I have nothing but kudos and praise on how they never gave up. That also goes for other Oiler players that was playing hurt.

I'm not going to pile on Smith as there's no point. He probably feels like, well to put it in family friendly terms, crap right now. But I do agree a change in goaltending in the off-season has to be a consideration and Skinner as the backup.

Woodcroft and Manson needs to be signed tomorrow before other teams have a chance to talk to them.

Sure it sucks that we got swept, but I doubt anyone had the Oilers go to the WCF when the playoffs started. Hell, I doubt anything had them go to the WCF at the start of the season. The boys will learn from this and hopefully this experience and have a better result when they make the playoffs next year.

Overall, i'm proud of the boys and already looking forward to next season.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
This series made me lose a lot of confidence in having Woodcroft as our HC going forward. He showed that he's too player-loyal, to the point of stubborness. First with playing Nurse a ton of minutes aginst the opposition's top players over and over, regardless of how bad he was struggling. Then sticking with Smith no matter how much momentum he was killing for his team, with his gafts and attrocious play, while seeming that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of starting the backup.
I agree , I liked woodcroft, he did an incredible job to save the season but IMO completely washed that away om the avs series. With some real heavy hitters available on the coaches list right now it will be interesting to see what happens

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s a stretch cause by all accounts he wants to play for a few more years. He went to the conference finals this year, he is going to think he got tons more in the tank.
He might think that now, but when he’s in the recovery and training phase of the offseason things might change. He just might decide it’s not worth the trouble for 1M bucks (which isn’t that much to him).

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
I know a lot of this lies at Smith's shoulders, but f***!
Oilers got to learn how to clear the d-zone.
How many times did they lose control when they had the puck?
We lost the series behind our own net losing almost every puck battle. When we did get the puck we blindly threw it along the boards and the Avs were waiting.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness a spectacular play by Lehkonen, who is no stranger to making those kinds of monumental game and series winning plays around the net. Was a perfect deflection, and then potting the rebound. We never get a goal like that from the punters we've brought in. Lehkonen is quality, thats the difference. I mentioned before Helm was also valuable all series, and there he was late in game OWNING Connor McDavid on the boards, getting to the net, and almost getting the winning goal. We just don't have the bottom players that Holland has brought in making those kind of plays. Target the right help and maybe we do. Colorado got better. Other than Kane rental we didn't.
Kulak has been relatively huge for us though. He seemed to settle down Barrie and they were our best pairing all playoffs.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Coaches like any player need to learn to win as well. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water Woody was the only reason we made it this far to begin with. He did what he did with the least amount of practices of any coach ever. Remember when he took over we had to play pretty much every second night for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. We never really saw his full systems implemented. If people want to throw blame throw it and the terrible league bias or the sub par goaltending. Hell even blame Nurse or whatever but the coaching is not an issue.

Reactions: oilers'72

JossyP

Aug 24, 2007
They've suffered a ton as well. They've come into playoffs and failed many times as well and with much higher expectations than our team has. Their core is older as well aside from Makar.
Agreed, they’ve for sure paid their dues and deserve to be in the final. However I really hope we get a chance at a rematch where we squash them! Haha. Also you know the pain of this defeat with make us even more hungry next year. Especially Mcdrai

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Problem is that he wont "retire". Maybe he does go on LTIR. But trying to get the roster under the cap in the offseason is a bit of a nightmare with both him and Klefbom not playing (not sure if any special rules for Klefbom since hes been out for so long). Maybe we trade some players to Arizona or something, but its still not ideal.
I’d say it’s more likely he retires than he goes on LTIR.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barrie has to go - he showed very little offense in playoffs
Alot of plays died at the point
Id rather have a Zadorov signed by Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad