Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
This series made me lose a lot of confidence in having Woodcroft as our HC going forward. He showed that he's too player-loyal, to the point of stubborness. First with playing Nurse a ton of minutes aginst the opposition's top players over and over, regardless of how bad he was struggling. Then sticking with Smith no matter how much momentum he was killing for his team, with his gafts and attrocious play, while seeming that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of starting the backup.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd keep Kassian if his cap were lower. If any team would take him you just have to make that deal. I bet someone does

I think it really just comes down to whether or not Kane gets resigned. I think he has to be moved if Kane does resign. If he was making like half of what he does, maybe you would keep him. His cap doesnt work on this team though (esp if Kane resigns).

Reactions: Porkleaker

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Another late call on that, after the far side official made the call. The guy right next to it looking at it was too busy cheering for an AV's scoring chance. Just ridiculous what went on in the two game set in Edmonton. NHL and CBC got their wish I guess. Somehow they love Colorado.

Oilers should have won both games, being stupid is what cost them. When we got PPs we did not cash, thats on us not the NHL or CBC.

Needed to score on that PP when it was 2-2 in game 3, needed to bury that empty net chance in the 3rd in this game.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Smith, Keith and especially Nurse were catastrophic this series.

McDavid was on a mission, If he was on any other 15 teams that made the playoffs he would've take any of them to the final.

It breaks my heart to see a talent like that being wasted.

Reactions: Mr Positive

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The Oilers played 16 playoff games.

The oilers had games where they gave up: 4,4,5,9,4,8,4,4,6 goals. A full 9 of 16 games they gave up 4 or more.

Anyone that defends our tending or Holland for doing nothing about our tending should have his head examined.

The Top players on this team played well enough to try and force us to get to the cup but the 100% obvious weakest part of the team has not been addressed for years.

Successful year? No, it was there for us this year imo.

Can't wait till next year when people will be okay with a skinner smith tandem as long as smith is a 'good backup'....laughable.
We lost 3 games where we scored 6+ goal
The occurrence of losing a playoff game when you score 6+ is less than 1% (around 0,71%)
Happen less than once per year all team all playoff game combined.

That how much impact Smith have

Next year ? Wow
Skinner is a .500% win goalie that have faced only one team in playoff position all year. (Boston) and lost
He started 70% of his games against the bottom 5 teams of the league

Good luck!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m hoping for an Oilers losing in ‘83 to the Isles type of learning curve
I'm wishing that the Oilers hated the AV's punks half as much as I do. I was trying to put that on the shelf a bit in this series and focus on the hockey but the AV's antics the last two games and Angel Gabriel having the audacity to talk about dirty play. What a f***er. No wonder Kass was going at him all night. Right on Zach.

In game 3 and 4 the AV's fully succeeded in reminding me how much trash they have in their core. Get f***ed in the Final AV's.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
God watching that goal and seeing Keith get absolutely destroyed is so deflating. He lost the battle then he let him skate behind him for a easy rebound goal.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I think it really just comes down to whether or not Kane gets resigned. I think he has to be moved if Kane does resign. If he was making like half of what he does, maybe you would keep him. His cap doesnt work on this team though (esp if Kane resigns).
Yeah, Kassian at $3.2m only makes sense if you're using him as a budget top-6 option, but he's way too inconsistent for that.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
They don’t have this answer. That’s where their armchair GMing stops. Can complain about not getting a better option, but can’t back up what that option would have been.

Just look at Toronto.

They're right in the middle of their cup contention window and they can't find consistent goaltending either. Multiple swings and misses.

I think Skinner needs a chance next year to see what he can do but I'm ready to move on from Smith. I think he was fantastic the first 2 rounds and I ate a whole lot of crow saying he was done earlier in the year but he got picked apart by Colorado and it's not like he'll be any better next year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers scored 4, 6, 6, and 5 goals in four of their eight playoff losses. That's 21 goals in four games and zero wins.

The playoffs began with a loss because Smith gave the puck away, and the playoffs end in part because Smith gave the puck away to blow a 4-2 lead in the third. He gave up 5 goals on 16 shots in the 3rd/OT tonight.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I hold the belief that the Avs really aren't as good as they're being hoisted to be. I still think Blues take that series in 7 with a healthy roster. The Avs have trash goaltending and they've been able to skate by three straight series' against bad/injured tendies and defense. That's about to change. Whoever comes out of the east is going to roll Colorado and it's going to be glorious to see, once again, their feet planted firmly back down on planet Earth.
Exactly my thoughts.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Really curious what Drai's injury was. He looked like he was in agony tonight every time he got knocked down to the ice, amazing how productive he was this playoffs considering how much he was struggling at times. Took a ton of abuse in the playoffs too, lots of slashes at his ankles, and of course slew foots in both the LA and Colorado series.

Hopefully both Nurse/Drai are 100% to start next year. Maybe some of Calgary's regular season luck will wear off on the Oilers and they can go into the playoffs next year with a fully healthy roster instead of two of their 3 most important players playing with severe injuries.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
IMO there’s a higher chance of Keith being on the roster in the fall than Kulak.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Smith, Keith and especially Nurse were catastrophic this series.

McDavid was on a mission, If he was on any other 15 teams that made the playoffs he would've take any of them to the final.

It breaks my heart to see a talent like that being wasted.
Kind of like wasting Mathews in Toronto.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Feels like a waste next season when Smith is our starter again!

Good playoff experience for the youngsters though, but need a real starter to go all the way and some defensive changes.

Cya next time!
3 weeks till the draft lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers played 16 playoff games.

The oilers had games where they gave up: 4,4,5,9,4,8,4,4,6 goals. A full 9 of 16 games they gave up 4 or more.

Anyone that defends our tending or Holland for doing nothing about our tending should have his head examined.

The Top players on this team played well enough to try and force us to get to the cup but the 100% obvious weakest part of the team has not been addressed for years.

Successful year? No, it was there for us this year imo.

Can't wait till next year when people will be okay with a skinner smith tandem as long as smith is a 'good backup'....laughable.

The D and goaltending was poor this playoffs no doubt.

• Haha
Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Tell it bro. That was awful. that was a dirtier play because Landeskog piles in and tries to direct Kass's head into the boards. Thats the primary thing that made Kass go ballistic, the deliberate attempt to injure, but he's an AV so... Wheres the guy that flaming Kane for the dirty play. I called that poster out for never having the comment on Landeskog or the AV' dirty plays. Of course nothing from that poster on any of this. Also that the dirty play happened 3 times tonight from AV's trying to bust Oilers helmets and melons into the boards.

It's way worse than Kane.

Kane atleast was at end of shift and in a speed position that exacerbates the play.

Landeskog has nothing but numbers, wraps Kass up, throws him down 3 ft from the boards and drives his head into the boards. It's a 5x more dangerous and dirty play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad