Post-Game Talk: A New Level of Suckage | Canucks 0 @ Jets 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
JB and Trev haven't exactly helped the fortunes, but it doenst change the fact about what they inherited. I'm just reminding people this whole phenomenon of terrible management has been a 5 year problem, not just since they took over two years ago almost to the day.

They had all the assets they needed to rebuild or retool. They pissed them away. Trying to blame the other guy for their continued incompetence is rather sad. The only thing stopping Benning from being in the league of the worst GMs of the last 30 years is his drafts show promise.

The guy continues to show the CBA and planning are both over head. We are just lucky Edler and Sutter got put on LTIR or he wouldn't have had the cap to sign Tryamkin. Does not know how to do contracts. Can't work out how to set a roster to start the year, or work the ltir top start a year and protect players. Doesn't show any logic on contracts with players. Can't plan ahead. His asset management is abominable. This is all basic stuff. He's steering the ship where, the single most implement job is setting direction and the Canucks don't have a coherent one. So he can do is scout for prospects, his pro scouting sucks.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The year he was put in the Sedins' line, he was on pace for ~40pts and 20g without them when joined them in February, on top of really high-end two way play. He was definitely a second line level player.

Yup.. You can't deny the 'arrival' of Burrows that yr... did it all and left it all on the ice.... Rewarded and delivered in spades. Nothing gifted, all earned.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The year he was put in the Sedins' line, he was on pace for ~40pts and 20g without them when joined them in February, on top of really high-end two way play. He was definitely a second line level player.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=592&withagainst=true&season=2008-09&sit=5v5

He had 12 or 13 of his 20 even strength goals in 1/3rd of his minutes playing with the twins that year. He also had 5 shorthanded goals… I'm not sure if that's sustainable or necessarily the sign of a top 6 forward.

I don't think he had the resume without the twins to earn that kind of contract. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah I got a solid 2 hours on the couch with cats this afternoon :laugh:

Ended up watching the 3rd though due to what is known in my household as 'cat paralysis'.

I always had cats until our family moved overseas a little more than 10 years ago. Haven't been allowed pets since.

I miss being a cat owner.

:(

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I always had cats until our family moved overseas a little more than 10 years ago. Haven't been allowed pets since.

I miss being a cat owner.

:(

Even the cats aren't taking this season well

7fBaBlH.jpg

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
LOL. Is this real life or is this just a bad dream that I haven't awaken from yet? Didn't even know the rules of the CBA... Oh my **** we are so ****ing boned if these three keep running this team into the ground

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
That 2nd period was perhaps the worst 20 mins of Canuck hockey I can remember watching.

Markstrom came to work. Hamhuis was working. Tryamkin was working. Biega was working. Horvat was working. Grenier was working. Etem was working. Baertschi had flashes. Everyone else can go....... look in the mirror.

Gaunce was probably the best player not in net for the Canucks ... yet somehow you identify the completely invisible Etem as working. Working at what exactly?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
JB and Trev haven't exactly helped the fortunes, but it doenst change the fact about what they inherited. I'm just reminding people this whole phenomenon of terrible management has been a 5 year problem, not just since they took over two years ago almost to the day.
Lol get out.

MG et al may have made some mistakes but incompetent boobs they weren't.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Didn't see it in there tonight...

You should give Botch the hit. He's probably the only guy in the local media (who's not retired) who actually calls out management on their sheer stupidity.

Friedman took a shot at the Canucks tonight too saying the whole Tryamkin thing couldn't be the Canucks fault, that it was all his fault instead.

Apparently the "Aquilini looking for an experienced adviser" thing came from Botch on the Morning Show the other day. Didn't hear it myself but someone posted about it.

Botch indicated this morning that Canucks management is adamant (Botch's word) that they have not made any mistakes this year.

Adamant.

:biglaugh:

That's some KLowe-level denial right there. Amazing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce was our best skater last night? Ha.. agree to disagree.

Does anyone else find it a little disturbing that the debate is about whether Gaunce was the best player not in goal and whether Etem was working?

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Botch indicated this morning that Canucks management is adamant (Botch's word) that they have not made any mistakes this year.

Adamant.

This is the most disappointing part of the season for me.

The level of self-awareness of these guys is somewhere around that of a 10-year-old.

Just unbelievable levels of incompetence, arrogance and puerility.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gaunce was our best skater last night? Ha.. agree to disagree.

And you would be wrong. He had 5 shots on goal out of our 20. Led the team in scoring chances. Was the only player on the team not negative in possession stats. By every metric and by the eye test, he was the 2nd best player after Markstrom.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And you would be wrong. He had 5 shots on goal out of our 20. Led the team in scoring chances. Was the only player on the team not negative in possession stats. By every metric and by the eye test, he was the 2nd best player after Markstrom.

Time to trade him for Alexander Khokhlachev!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i used to say, in those disappointing post-2011 years when gillis was still here, that maybe there's a silver lining to losing as heartbreakingly as we did in 2011. i used to make the comparison to the crookedly reffed 2006 NBA finals, where the dallas mavs, who were up 2-0 on the miami heat in the finals, both mentally collapsed and saw the refs let dwyane wade hurl himself into defenders and gave him free throws every time he did that. rumour has always been that the league and its higher ups had a vendetta against mavs owner mark cuban. but the mavs, and their european superstar dirk nowitzki, who had often been criticized as soft and a choker, finally won their championship in 2011, in a gloriously poetic rematch against wade, the heat, and now also lebron. i never even liked the mavs but it was a beautiful moment, and incidentally exactly what i needed to see in the week after the canucks' loss to boston. good defeated evil, and a flawed but talented team, led by its flawed but honest and hardworking superstar, prevailed over a crooked league that had rigged many playoff games against it.

but that was cloud talk.

i now understand that the real analogy should be to the steve nash-era suns. out of nowhere, a guy that nobody believed in established himself as an upper echelon superstar and won back-to-back MVPs (sound familiar?) that team, while extremely talented and incredibly fun to watch, was also thought by many commentators to be not built for the playoffs. and that team, in its best shot at the title with the mavs inexplicably bounced in the first round by warriors, also fell victim to questionable officiating and the league siding against it, when robert horry clotheslined nash, and then amare stoudemire and boris diaw were both suspended for a game for basically standing up (vancouver still <3s you, stu jackson). they had won two straight to tie the series 2-2 against the spurs, who would go on to coast to the championship, destroying utah and cleveland in the last two rounds. but that game 5 without its leading scorer and best bench player (their rotation was only seven guys that night), plus their MVP hobbled, shifted the momentum and they lost in 6.

that year, GM bryan colangelo left because he couldn't work with the meddling owner anymore, and was replaced on an interim basis by coach mike d'antoni. this was followed by a comedy of errors by new GM steve kerr (of all people). some of that was incompetence (trading shawn marion for shaq's corpse); some of it was meddling ownership, which in this case was literally selling first round draft picks to other teams (goodbye, rajon rondo); but they kept being bad but not bad enough to rebuild, and kept taking on older declining guys while hemmorhaging draft picks, until one by one all of the glory years guys left or faded away. the ugly end of steve nash's career, sorry henrik and daniel.

ugh.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
i used to say, in those disappointing post-2011 years when gillis was still here, that maybe there's a silver lining to losing as heartbreakingly as we did in 2011. i used to make the comparison to the crookedly reffed 2006 NBA finals, where the dallas mavs, who were up 2-0 on the miami heat in the finals, both mentally collapsed and saw the refs let dwyane wade hurl himself into defenders and gave him free throws every time he did that. rumour has always been that the league and its higher ups had a vendetta against mavs owner mark cuban. but the mavs, and their european superstar dirk nowitzki, who had often been criticized as soft and a choker, finally won their championship in 2011, in a gloriously poetic rematch against wade, the heat, and now also lebron. i never even liked the mavs but it was a beautiful moment, and incidentally exactly what i needed to see in the week after the canucks' loss to boston. good defeated evil, and a flawed but talented team, led by its flawed but honest and hardworking superstar, prevailed over a crooked league that had rigged many playoff games against it.

but that was cloud talk.

i now understand that the real analogy should be to the steve nash-era suns. out of nowhere, a guy that nobody believed in established himself as an upper echelon superstar and won back-to-back MVPs (sound familiar?) that team, while extremely talented and incredibly fun to watch, was also thought by many commentators to be not built for the playoffs. and that team, in its best shot at the title with the mavs inexplicably bounced in the first round by warriors, also fell victim to questionable officiating and the league siding against it, when robert horry clotheslined nash, and then amare stoudemire and boris diaw were both suspended for a game for basically standing up (vancouver still <3s you, stu jackson). they had won two straight to tie the series 2-2 against the spurs, who would go on to coast to the championship, destroying utah and cleveland in the last two rounds. but that game 5 without its leading scorer and best bench player (their rotation was only seven guys that night), plus their MVP hobbled, shifted the momentum and they lost in 6.

that year, GM bryan colangelo left because he couldn't work with the meddling owner anymore, and was replaced on an interim basis by coach mike d'antoni. this was followed by a comedy of errors by new GM steve kerr (of all people). some of that was incompetence (trading shawn marion for shaq's corpse); some of it was meddling ownership, which in this case was literally selling first round draft picks to other teams (goodbye, rajon rondo); but they kept being bad but not bad enough to rebuild, and kept taking on older declining guys while hemmorhaging draft picks, until one by one all of the glory years guys left or faded away. the ugly end of steve nash's career, sorry henrik and daniel.

ugh.
Please excuse me, I'm just off to throw myself in a river. :(

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What is this thing about an adviser?

Curious as well. If this is ownership looking for an adviser similar to what Katz did by bringing in Nicholson then I'm on board. Heads started rolling and people were pushed to the side shortly after his arrival. At this point if they found someone truly qualified to head up the entertainment group then that would be a great thing. Which is what I think Nicholson was brought in to do by title...run a newly spun off entertainment section including the Oilers.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
What is this thing about an adviser?

I didn't hear it… but Botch thinks that Aquaman is looking for one. It'd be a sneaky way to see what's out there for a new GM right now… which I wouldn't put past him. I think that's kinda how we got Gillis?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad