Post-Game Talk: A New Level of Suckage | Canucks 0 @ Jets 2

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't get how everyone is jumping on Benning yet they are letting WD slide by with a free pass. I am not defending JB as I have disagreed with many moves, but he's not the one who can't get these guys going. Injuries have hurt the productivity this year, and as of late for sure which is on Benning for not getting a good enough lineup, nor a deep enough lineup when injuries do occur. But why is Willy getting a free pass? It's on him for us scoring only 1 goal in the last 4 and being shutout in 3 straight. It's on him for letting us get shelled in the last 2 games. Giving up almost 50 shots in both games is ridiculous. He has no clue when to pull the goalie, nor who to put out on the ice when that happens. Virtanen played bad last night yet was out there as the extra attacker and so was Barts. He is a pathetic coach all around and needs to go.

The team quit. That is undeniable. Blame the quitters.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
*sigh*

whatever you say man. Clearly this franchise isn't hurting for goaltending talent.

seriously. our goaltending development has been off the freaking charts the past few years. It's the absolute least of our worries, and it netted us Bo Horvat.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
seriously. our goaltending development has been off the freaking charts the past few years. It's the absolute least of our worries, and it netted us Bo Horvat.

It really depends what Bo becomes. Schneider is an elite goalie, Horvat is going to have to become something you can't find for cheap in FA to make that close to a good deal. He's certainly not there yet.

It looks a lot better if Markstrom or Demko become elite goalies but we aren't close to that yet, either. Both have a shot, though.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
They had all the assets they needed to rebuild or retool. They pissed them away. Trying to blame the other guy for their continued incompetence is rather sad. The only thing stopping Benning from being in the league of the worst GMs of the last 30 years is his drafts show promise.

The guy continues to show the CBA and planning are both over head. We are just lucky Edler and Sutter got put on LTIR or he wouldn't have had the cap to sign Tryamkin. Does not know how to do contracts. Can't work out how to set a roster to start the year, or work the ltir top start a year and protect players. Doesn't show any logic on contracts with players. Can't plan ahead. His asset management is abominable. This is all basic stuff. He's steering the ship where, the single most implement job is setting direction and the Canucks don't have a coherent one. So he can do is scout for prospects, his pro scouting sucks.

His drafts show promise?

McCaan look like a first rounder?
Virtanen points are 1/3 of the pick before and after him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I'm not saying Gillis handled the goalie situation great but he did at least leave two very good pieces back and he left our goaltending situation in a good place. I don't think it's been the cause or even a large contributing factor of this team's downturn.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
the only decent thing about this awful team is the goaltending, so it makes total sense in benning logic that the coach responsible for turning this organization into a goalie factory will be let go after the season

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We haven't scored a goal in over three games and yet people are talking about goaltending.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
His drafts show promise?

McCann showed huge upside in draft+1 year and was great at the beginning of the season. He should've been sent to the WJC and then sent down to juniors. He easily looks like a top 15 player in the draft as of now... He isn't strong enough for the NHL and an off season of training and a year in Utica should help fix that. Benning deserves a hell of a lot of crap but drafting McCann was a great move.

I believe it's already been posted several times but relative to his peers, Virtanen is doing well in P/60 and even strength points. He obviously has faults but he's shown good progress this season.

As a whole, the 2014 draft is projecting well. Virtanen, McCann, Demko and Tryamkin all show signs of being NHLers. Forsling is also projecting really well. From 2015, Boesee is breaking records and late rounders Gaudette, Olsen and Neill are tracking really well. Right now, Benning's drafts look good as players are tracking in the right direction.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
McCann looks better than some of the other 1st rounders because he was rushed to the NHL. I really like him but he has a long ways to go towards being an everyday player. I still stand by my original prediction that Barbashev ends up the better player. If I'm wrong I will happily admit it.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
McCann showed huge upside in draft+1 year and was great at the beginning of the season. He should've been sent to the WJC and then sent down to juniors. He easily looks like a top 15 player in the draft as of now... He isn't strong enough for the NHL and an off season of training and a year in Utica should help fix that. Benning deserves a hell of a lot of crap but drafting McCann was a great move.

That's a stretch. Even if you just look at NHL production, McCann is something like 10th. That also assumes that you would rather have him than Dal Colle, Vrana, Sanheim, Kapanen, Dvorak, Fiala, Honka and a few other players.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
That's a stretch. Even if you just look at NHL production, McCann is something like 10th. That also assumes that you would rather have him than Dal Colle, Vrana, Sanheim, Kapanen, Dvorak, Fiala, Honka and a few other players.
Touché. The draft itself looks really good.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I am sure glad Daniel read the riot act to the kids. He and his brother as the leaders of this team have combined for 2 goals in the last 10 games.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I am sure glad Daniel read the riot act to the kids. He and his brother as the leaders of this team have combined for 2 goals in the last 10 games.

When the 2 faces of the franchise talk people listen.

They don't need a good run of games where they play lights out to call people out.

I think they earned that right with there time here.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't think the prevailing opinion is that WD should be granted mercy, lol. He's clearly in over his head (which should be this team's mantra right now)

Ideally, he'd be canned, or, if they don't want to deal with the negative PR, moved to some player development role in the shadows where his heart rate doesn't spike to 200 on a daily basis

Call me crazy but I kind of want to see the Winterhawks development juggernaut of Travis Green and Mike Johnston reunited, with Green assigned to Vancouver and Johnston hired for Utica

Oh, and RE: The search for a Trevor advisor - well, why wasn't that done in the first place? He'd been away from hockey since retiring and clearly had no idea what he was doing...smdh

Pat Quinn was when Trev first came on board. Sadly, not for very long.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The team quit. That is undeniable. Blame the quitters.

Yes they have quit. Or at least know they get to be on the golf course very very soon. I do not condone that from the players but the blame needs to be on the coach. As the coach it's his job to keep the team focused, whether the games are meaningful or not. It seems like willy has taken a page from Torts and "lost the room." The players should not be quitting, especially when they are being paid very good money to do what they love. But it is still up to the coach to keep the team on track and motivate the players to still give it their all even in the meaningless games.

Willy has proven time and time again he is in over his head and is unable to matchup to allow his players to succeed. Take the game vs the jets for an example, we were getting shelled with shots and not producing any good chances to score. It took him until 2 minutes left in the game for me to notice him even remotely try to line juggle and find a combo that could make something happen. That change was putting vey out with bo and baertschi. Vey had a bad game all night and so did virtanen so I'm not saying it was the wrong move to try to get something going, but it's a move that you need to make during an intermission to allow them more than one shift to reacquaint themselves with each other again. Finally he took way too long to pull Markstrom when we were clearly struggling generating quality scoring opportunities at 5 on 5. Once pulled he played Virtanen as the 6th attacker even though he had not played well all night. As a result Virtanen makes a poor drop pass with. 2 defenders on him that swallow Burrows up and the Jets go down the ice to score the empty netter. To make matters worse, Bartkowski was on the ice to try to tie the game up. Obviously we didn't have the usual Edler to turn to but there is no excuse for Bartkowski to be out there when trying to tie the game.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

This.

A guy at the last home game said when he saw the kids coming back to the bench. They were done. Completely exhausted and defeated.

The kids are done. Horvat has played way beyond expectations and same with mccann and virtanen. Hutton and baertschi.

Vey and bartkowski are garbage of garbage players and this is a bad team with core injuries to our 2/3c 1/2 d and 1rw lol.

Enjoy the last 10 games cuz you all know that itch in august you'll have.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
The picks before and after Virtanen have 0 NHL points so far...

It'll be a long time before we can figure out if he was the best pick of the options discussed, but he's actually the 5th best Vancouver forward (although that probably doesn't say much) in 5v5 points/60. Decent display in the NHL for someone who isn't even 20 yet.

His drafts show promise?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
None of the kids will have a career like theirs even if the twins quit today.

That's fine, but in their mid 30s now they are tailing off significantly like they do most seasons now down the stretch when the playoff teams gear up and the hockey gets harder. Seemed like a weird time for Daniel to be pointing the finger at others. Not like they are scoring or impressing anyone of late.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's fine, but in their mid 30s now they are tailing off significantly like they do most seasons now down the stretch when the playoff teams gear up and the hockey gets harder. Seemed like a weird time for Daniel to be pointing the finger at others. Not like they are scoring or impressing anyone of late.

To be fair, those other players weren't carrying the team earlier in the season either.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
To be fair, those other players weren't carrying the team earlier in the season either.

To be fair those other players are 19, playing in the NHL at junior age, trying to learn the league, making 850,000 not being paid 14 million to lead the team.

This is not the first time in the last few years the Sedins fade down the stretch.

The goalies are the only players on this team who should be calling anyone out. The guys who get no goal support from anyone, including the Sedins, and are left to face 40-50 shots most nights.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The goalies are the only players on this team who should be calling anyone out. The guys who get no goal support from anyone, including the Sedins, and are left to face 40-50 shots most nights.
Goalies should be only calling out the GM who gave Willie the crap on the blueline (which led to the 40-50 shots most nights....)

To be fair those other players are 19, playing in the NHL at junior age, trying to learn the league, making 850,000 not being paid 14 million to lead the team.

This is not the first time in the last few years the Sedins fade down the stretch.
Sedins 'paid their dues' with the club to be allowed a mulligan or two. They're the only reason we're ahead of the Oilers in any given season.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Goalies should be only calling out the GM who gave Willie the crap on the blueline (which led to the 40-50 shots most nights....)

Sedins 'paid their dues' with the club to be allowed a mulligan or two. They're the only reason we're ahead of the Oilers in any given season.

Yes the Sedins have earned their due here and Daniel has earned the right to voice some frustration. But lets just be clear that they are not doing much of anything either on the ice.

The team is not scoring. The Sedins were noticeable in a recent game or two but had a stretch before that where they were as invisible as anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad