A new contender for worst broadcaster of all time (Leah Hextall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
Listening to her, I’d say my big gripe is her vocal range is too narrow currently. Hopefully it’s just nerves and will settle with time. Too often she just settles into a very small range where her volume may go up, but her tone stays the same which sort of creates a monotone lull that numbs the brain. Part of it is out of her control, higher pitched sounds tend to be harder to differentiate minor variances in that lower bass sounds, plus we are accustomed to a far lower range of tones and have adapted to them. She will be fine in time, but really needs to be more dramatic about her vocal tone shifts to make it easier to hear and notice and avoid the “numb” effect.
Agree with this. Idk why this wasn’t the OP.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
ITT I learned I'm a grumpy old white man because I believe a pbp announcer has a terrible voice.

God forbid anyone is allowed an opinion on anything.

Just for the record, whatever Leah identifies as, nobody gives a f***. Her gender plays no role in her being a shitty, shitty, shitty pbp announcer. Her voice is shit for what the job asks for.

Btw, I am hispanic just an fyi for this truly patronizing asshole who went THAT route.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I found her voice to be annoying as hell, and subconsciously, it being female likely didn't help. So the question is: can anyone here post clips of women announcing men's or women's hockey who are skilled at PBP calling, and have good voices? Anyone have recommendations for who ESPN could have gone with as a woman doing PBP?

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I actually think it does a real disservice to Leah and the general idea of women doing play-by-play for men's sports when someone as unseasoned as her gets a national stage like this and then does poorly; for some, this will only serve to reinforce the out-of-date idea that women have no place in the men's game. Now we're having this discussion, and it's happening in a more undignified manner on social media, and she'd feel like shit if she knew about it.

But that's not her fault; I don't doubt that she's trying trying her hardest and has worked hard throughout her career. It's just that play-by-play jobs are really hard, and nothing compares to hockey. I've done college basketball and some baseball. Hard, but nothing like hockey. And studio work isn't really comparable, either, and doesn't mean shit as we've seen with men tossed into the role into the past (I'd say Buccigross is an example of this).

A big problem I heard with Hextall is her inability to identify players, which is especially important in a national telecast where I, as a fan of neither team, don't know the names to numbers like for my own team. But that's the thing--she's only going to get good at aspects like that, or when to get excited and how to describe certain moments, by practicing. But that kind of early-level practice shouldn't be happening at this level. It only makes her look bad (not her fault; should she have turned down the job?) but it makes ESPN look bad and makes it seem to some like women can't do the job well. (I've heard that with other sports, too, but then I've seen women do the job well, so that theory is obviously b.s.)

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I don’t think she’s great but also not terrible? You guys are never happy with anything anyways so this thread popping up doesn’t surprise me.

Reactions: Brownies

teal

Aug 8, 2006
I found her voice to be annoying as hell, and subconsciously, it being female likely didn't help. So the question is: can anyone here post clips of women announcing men's or women's hockey who are skilled at PBP calling, and have good voices? Anyone have recommendations for who ESPN could have gone with as a woman doing PBP?
Why did subconsciously it being female not help? Is there something inherently inferior about women’s voices? TIL

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Lol. LH had the opposite of a shrill voice. But tell us you’re a misogynist without telling us you’re a misogynist.

Her voice is shrill. Tell me we shouldn't take you seriously without telling me we shouldn't take you seriously.

Explain how I'm being a mysogynist. I'm not even against female broadcasters. As a matter of fact, I EMPLOY female broadcasters and want to hire more.

I've also said I don't like Mike Emrick's voice. Why in the holy hell aren't you calling me a misandrist?

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I like her. She addresses a different kind of audience. I think ESPN knows what they are doing, they are reaching for a broader audience.

A lot of old farts in here who can't deal with this, old white grumpy men complex. I expected this as soon as i heard her voice.

You now have to deal with it by venting on this board. Question is: Will it be enough?

The only audience she addresses is the ultra-woke zealots like yourself. Anybody that gives two turds about the quality of the broadcast is left wanting.

Those supporting her are the same people that care for one thing and one thing only -- checking boxes in the name of some sort of hyper-progressive world view where biology and meritocracy need be combated at every turn to ensure everybody ends up with the same size slice of the pie. These are the kinds of people that applaud a biological male kicking the shit out of a woman in MMA, and praise a trans-woman competing in weight lifting competitions against women as stunning and brave. It's too bad that twitter has given you clowns a disproportionate voice in today's discourse.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
I don't get it. If women had been the standard for announcers forever then men announcing games all of a sudden would sound weird. I don't think either is better or worse, just there is a comfortable feeling with deeper voices for games that most watchers have. The more women that get the opportunity to voice games the more we'll feel more comfortable with them. Anyone who says women shouldn't call games because of their high pitched voice is being ridiculous.

Reactions: Strexvale and teal

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I wonder how much more shrieking like a banshee it will take from LH for some to realize many don't like her because she has an awful voice for broadcasting and not because she's a woman.

Reactions: Kimota

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
This shit is so idiotic. Who cares what sex someone is. Either you're good or not good at your job. Reverse sexism is just as stupid. And this isn't really that. It's nepotism.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I don't get it. If women had been the standard for announcers forever then men announcing games all of a sudden would sound weird. I don't think either is better or worse, just there is a comfortable feeling with deeper voices for games that most watchers have. The more women that get the opportunity to voice games the more we'll feel more comfortable with them. Anyone who says women shouldn't call games because of their high pitched voice is being ridiculous.
Women announcers definitely stand out, but don't necessarily bother me. LH definitely bothers me though. Just as there are men who don't have the voice for calling games, there are women as well.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
No comment on the announcing, but the Hulu closed captioning was beyond belief. The person had never seen a hockey game, mishearing most hockey phrases, and didn't know any hockey names. They were totally overwhelmed and just lunging at words, writing soup at the screen. I saw them write about players like "Angela," "Janine," and at one point the person repeatedly wrote "Rihanna" was doing this and that out there. Hakanpaa was Hawkey Pot.
Hahaha please tell me you're joking.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
She is knowledgable about the game and I think she could do a fairly good job in a studio. Maybe even as a colour commentator. Maybe. But as a PBP commentator? Horrendeus. She doesn't have the experience needed and she just botches it. It doesn't help she has an even more annoying voice than Rick "nails on chalkboard" Jeanneret when she gets (or pretends to get) excited.

Youtube comments described Hextall's OT goal call sounded like "a dying giraffe." Sounds about right.

Maybe a sport like golf, tennis, baseball or track & field would be more up to her tempo where she can keep all shrieking to a minimum.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
It's not like there's a treasure trove of amazing women broadcasters that have been pushed aside by men. Equal opportunity is looking at all of the terrible announcers that are all male and saying, "why can't half of these be women?" They have a point. Fans like us are still suffering, but at least we're being tortured by a more diverse cast of characters.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I personally think a deeper voice comes through better on television and radio. Easier on the ears.

Just my preference
Hey maybe this would be a good opportunity for all the transwomen out there, I'm sure there wouldn't be any criticism or snarky diversity remarks for a hire like that since the voice would 'match' and everything.

(not taking stand on anyone's competence here, but rather what people are conditioned to see/hear when they tune in)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hey maybe this would be a good opportunity for all the transwomen out there, I'm sure there wouldn't be any criticism or snarky diversity remarks for a hire like that since the voice would 'match' and everything.

(not taking stand on anyone's competence here, but rather what people are conditioned to see/hear when they tune in)
Personally, I'd be all for it as long as it was competent and sounded good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad