A new contender for worst broadcaster of all time (Leah Hextall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
Yikes.

You do realize there's a pretty huge difference between "women can't be broadcasters" and "this woman isn't a good broadcaster", right?

Please tell me you understand the difference between the two. :laugh:

Sadly, it’s obvious that most folks in this thread are threatened by a woman. Lol at the nepotism comments when all of hockey is an old boys club.

I didn’t love her broadcasting myself but it was no worse than the typical boring/biased/cheesy af males we’ve had for the past decades.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I also noticed this during her first game. While getting women involved with the league more and more is great, it was a very poor broadcast.

Reactions: EpiPen

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Sadly, it’s obvious that most folks in this thread are threatened by a woman. Lol at the nepotism comments when all of hockey is an old boys club.

I didn’t love her broadcasting myself but it was no worse than the typical boring/biased/cheesy af males we’ve had for the past decades.

Sadly, its obvious that some posts in this thread are patronizing in that they think its off limits to criticize Hextall simply because she's a woman. As if male announcers dont get criticized all the time around here.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
Instead of forcing a woman into a broadcasters role, how about we just hire the most qualified person regardless of gender. I would be ok with all female broadcasters as long as they were qualified and the best possible option.

If we do this can we also go way back in time and remove all the mediocre men who were ever hired for no good reason?

Reactions: AvroArrow

teal

Aug 8, 2006
Sadly, its obvious that some posts in this thread are patronizing in that they think its off limits to criticize Hextall simply because she's a woman. As if male announcers dont get criticized all the time around here.

I didn’t see anyone saying it’s off limits. There’s an obvious double standard going on here.

I would love to live in a world in which all possible candidates for a job are sifted through, regardless of gender, before a decision is made. We all know this world doesn’t exist and that largely, men much moreso than women have benefited from it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I didn’t see anyone saying it’s off limits. There’s an obvious double standard going on here.

I would love to live in a world in which all possible candidates for a job are sifted through, regardless of gender, before a decision is made. We all know this world doesn’t exist.

You think Hextall has a good television/ radio voice?

Before you reply with "not all current male PBP announcers have good television voices, either"....I agree with you 100%.

And just like I do with any PBP person I dont like, I wont listen to Hextall call games any more. I will either mute her, find a different broadcast or listen to the radio call.

Reactions: EpiPen

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I would love to live in a world in which all possible candidates for a job are sifted through, regardless of gender, before a decision is made. We all know this world doesn’t exist and that largely, men much moreso than women have benefited from it.

I'm going to go back to my earlier post, and repeat that there is a difference between saying women shouldn't be broadcasters, and saying that this particular woman isn't a good broadcaster.

It is possible to be critical of Leah's performance without being accused of throwing the entire gender under the bus - or opening a whole can of worms about gender-based hiring.

Other great examples have been mentioned already, of female broadcasters who are excelling at their jobs and deserve every bit of praise they receive.

Leah clearly needs some fine-tuning. That's all.

Admitting this, is not an indictment against all other female broadcasters. Come on. :laugh:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm going to go somewhat against the grain here.

First things first, she is terrible at PbP, her voice is NOT made for this and I don't think any honing or practice will ever change that.
That being said, I also think Rick Jeanerette f***ing sucks ALSO because of his grating voice and over the top goal call, but whatever some enjoy it.. I don't.

In any case, I have seen this brought up several times in this thread. People believe she got the job because she is a woman. I honestly don't think this is the case. Knowing the NHL this is another clear cut case of nepotism. The NHL has always been an old boys club, they recycle their own. Leah HEXTALL has always been part of that family because of her family ties. I don't think she would have ever broken into this field if it wasn't for her family having these close ties to the NHL and that has zero to do with being a woman or a man.

It's this sports culture in which family members are being brought in regardless of skill. Sure some will eventually become good over the years at whatever they might be doing but so could others. Their leg up is their last name i.e. "ooooh so your uncle played for the Canadiens? Here let me show you his old locker..."
A regular Joe or Jill would never get this type of preferential treatment and I believe that's what is the case here.

Leah has been surrounded by hockey all her life and you are bound to become somewhat knowledgeable about it, doesn't mean you are good at it, it's unfortunate but it is what it is and I feel like even if she was ever to get canned from her PbP duties I don't think she would ever get a job in broadcasting outside of hockey.

Reactions: teal

teal

Aug 8, 2006
I'm going to go back to my earlier post, and repeat that there is a difference between saying women shouldn't be broadcasters, and saying that this particular woman isn't a good broadcaster.

It is possible to be critical of Leah's performance without being accused of throwing the entire gender under the bus - or opening a whole can of worms about gender-based hiring.

Other great examples have been mentioned already, of female broadcasters who are excelling at their jobs and deserve every bit of praise they receive.

Leah clearly needs some fine-tuning. That's all.

Admitting this, is not an indictment against all other female broadcasters. Come on. :laugh:

My intent didn't come across well. I agree with you 100%. I'm all for women broadcasters. I'm a huge fan of Kendall Coyne the hockey player, but her broadcasting was painful.

My comment was to point out how your POV on this is different from most of the negative POVs in this thread. I was commenting on how interesting it is that many men ITT are getting worked up over this hire over a million other hires (hockey-related and otherwise) that deserve this commentary/outrage so much more. It makes the double standard extremely obvious.

I hope all the people saying they 'just need a warm male tone' get to think about that statement and all its implications.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
You think Hextall has a good television/ radio voice?

Before you reply with "not all current male PBP announcers have good television voices, either"....I agree with you 100%.

And just like I do with any PBP person I dont like, I wont listen to Hextall call games any more. I will either mute her, find a different broadcast or listen to the radio call.

I'm just pointing out the double standard that's very obvious in this thread.

More folks than not are saying they 'just need that male voice' as opposed to pointing out how regardless of gender she's not amazing. This is the part that's concerning to me.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
My intent didn't come across well. I agree with you 100%. I'm all for women broadcasters. I'm a huge fan of Kendall Coyne the hockey player, but her broadcasting was difficult.

My comment was to point out how your POV on this is different from most of the negative POVs in this thread. I was commenting on how interesting it is that men get worked up over this hire over a million other hires (hockey-related and otherwise) that deserve this commentary/outrage so much more. It makes the double standard extremely obvious.

I hope all the people saying they 'just need a warm male tone' get to think about that statement and all its implications.

Fair enough.

Worth pointing out though that Jack Edwards has been dragged on this forum more than Leah Hextall EVER will - and with good reason. :laugh:

Rick Jeanneret, Joe Bowen, Dave Mishkin, whoever the Avs guy is, there's a plethora of male broadcasters who can rub viewers/listeners the wrong way, either with their cadence, or their bias. Now Leah finds herself among that group, only she holds the distinction of a) being female so there's more eyes on her, and b) she's on a national broadcast (the ones I mentioned are all regional I'm pretty sure) so that just magnifies everything.

I'm sure she's probably faced criticism before in her career, and I do hope she continues to develop and improve her calls going forward.

Reactions: Rebels57 and teal

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Are there though? I honestly think that women don't have the same strength in their speaking voice as men to be able to pull off pbp commentary. *Snip*

Not true. Listen for example voices of Tarja Turunen (Nightwish) and Angela Gossow (Archenemy) to widen your conception about female voice.

Of course a woman can be very good in pbp commentary, there are nothing in principle preventing that.

Leah Hextall isn't just one having the voice required. At least yet. It is possible develop voice as a skill regardless of sex/gender/whatnot (like aforementioned persons).

Hextall's voice is something that doesn't make me want to stay awake all night long to see how Miro may play tonight.

Reactions: teal

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
My intent didn't come across well. I agree with you 100%. I'm all for women broadcasters. I'm a huge fan of Kendall Coyne the hockey player, but her broadcasting was painful.

My comment was to point out how your POV on this is different from most of the negative POVs in this thread. I was commenting on how interesting it is that many men ITT are getting worked up over this hire over a million other hires (hockey-related and otherwise) that deserve this commentary/outrage so much more. It makes the double standard extremely obvious.

How can you possibly know that the people "getting worked up" (as you called it) about Hextall are also not "getting worked up" over the other hires? There are countless threads on HF Boards criticizing hockey and non-hockey related hires. Also, how can you make the claim that only men are complaining?

You've created this straw man argument out of thin air with nothing to back it up.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
How can you possibly know that the people "getting worked up" (as you called it) about Hextall are also not "getting worked up" over the other hires? There are countless threads on HF Boards criticizing hockey and non-hockey related hires. Also, how can you make the claim that only men are complaining?

You've created this straw man argument out of thin air with nothing to back it up.
Not really. It's obvious to anyone paying attention or willing to see it that men have largely benefited from nepotism.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not really. It's obvious to anyone paying attention or willing to see it that men have largely benefited from nepotism.

What do you mean "not really"? Did you do a search of these boards and not find countless threads of fans ripping hockey and non-hockey related hires of men?

Yes, there are men have benefited from nepotism. What does that have to do with the Hextall and whether or not she has the voice for television?

teal

Aug 8, 2006
What do you mean "not really"? Did you do a search of these boards and not find countless threads of fans ripping hockey and non-hockey related hires of men?

Yes, there are men have benefited from nepotism. What does that have to do with the Hextall and whether or not she has the voice for television?
Have you gone a few posts up and read my extended opinion on the topic? I'm calling out the double standard. You can choose to believe it doesn't exist if you want, and I'm definitely not going to waste my time trying to help you see what's obvious.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It is sexism plain and simple. There is no way she is the most qualified candidate.
Sure. As opposed to the obviously glowingly qualified candidates calling games around the league. Nepotism seems to be the biggest hiring factor.

Hextall has a degree in radio and television broadcasting and has worked as on-air talent in various capacity for over 15 years.

Play-by-play is a difficult job and she sounded green. But the pearl-clutching in this thread about her performance is pretty hilarious.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Sure. As opposed to the obviously glowingly qualified candidates calling games around the league. Nepotism seems to be the biggest hiring factor.

Hextall has a degree in radio and television broadcasting and has worked as on-air talent in various capacity for over 15 years.

Play-by-play is a difficult job and she sounded green. But the pearl-clutching in this thread about her performance is pretty hilarious.

You are describing the complaining as "pearl clutching" when its really that most fans don't think she's very good. You're right, play by play is difficult...and you would think that the largest sports network on the planet would've done a better job hiring someone (male or female) that comes across television better than Hextall does.

Have you gone a few posts up and read my extended opinion on the topic? I'm calling out the double standard. You can choose to believe it doesn't exist if you want, and I'm definitely not going to waste my time trying to help you see what's obvious.

Until you can find an example of this double standard you are referring to, its not really worth discussing.

Reactions: Rob Brown

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
If we do this can we also go way back in time and remove all the mediocre men who were ever hired for no good reason?

It doesn't work that way, we can only change things going forward. You cannot fix past discriminations by continuing to discriminate in the opposite direction today. Hire the most qualified person for the position, without discriminating, and representation will trend towards the mean eventually. These are not problems that can be fixed within a single lifetime.

Reactions: dick341

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
It doesn't work that way, we can only change things going forward. You cannot fix past discriminations by continuing to discriminate in the opposite direction today. Hire the most qualified person for the position, without discriminating, and representation will trend towards the mean eventually. These are not problems that can be fixed within a single lifetime.
This. But you can also build a diverse talent pool of qualified people from which to select from, and then select the best candidate from there. It’s the talent pool if anything, that should be measured for diversity. Targets are counter productive.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad