A new contender for worst broadcaster of all time (Leah Hextall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The fact is there’s no need to have a deep voice to be a good broadcaster, you just want there to be some arbitrary reason for why women shouldn’t be given opportunity.

With that said, if you’ve never met/seen/heard women with deeper than average voices you need to get out more.

I personally think a deeper voice comes through better on television and radio. Easier on the ears.

Just my preference

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
She seems to know her stuff quite well imo. What’s the problem?
Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard, I actually cringed hearing that Gurianov OT goal call the first time and I wouldn’t say she knows much as she has had some notable mishaps (“Anaheim Wilds”) She is brutal. In general I don’t think a woman’s voice translates well to commentating but her voice is even worse than most. Sure she knows her stuff somewhat, but there are clearly better candidates but she’s being pushed because she’s a woman. There’s a more fitting role out there for her. There are many more knowledgeable and better voices in hockey but she’s there because of her relation to Ron Hextall, she was thrown into broadcasting the NHL right away with no experience, surprised people are defending her as much as they have despite their being clearly better options that have actually worked hard honing their craft without NHL roots

Last edited:
Reactions: EpiPen

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No way she’s worse than Cassie Campbell. And I say this not as a sexist but someone who likes good play by play and color commentary, that’s it!
I can listen to Campbell all day long if it means never having to listen to Hextall ever again. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Legit she's so bad. I'm sure she's a cool person but she has no business in being a commentator with that kind of a brutal voice.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I got to know Leah when she worked in Boston and was an excellent reporter and anchor desk talent.

She simply doesn't have the pipes to do play by play :cry:

Her voice simply does not carry over the crowd noise.

The new Sixers play-by-play voice is Kate Scott....no issues. Lisa Byington in Milwaukee for the Bucks is fine as well.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I got to know Leah when she worked in Boston and was an excellent reporter and anchor desk talent.

She simply doesn't have the pipes to do play by play :cry:

Her voice simply does not carry over the crowd noise.

The new Sixers play-by-play voice is Kate Scott....no issues. Lisa Byington in Milwaukee for the Bucks is fine as well.

People pay money to get the best experience when watching games on TV. Being just "fine" isn't nearly good enough in my book.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So you cavemen have a problem with high pitch voices?

Society is moving on with or without you.

I have a problem with high pitched voices doing play by play, yes. Just like I have a problem with music with the treble turned way up. Deeper voices come through television and radio much clearer and are easier to follow along with.

That's why there is such a thing as "radio voice".

When answering the first research question on what makes a good voice for radio, radio employers and educators described a range of communicative features that make radio performers easy to listen to including warmth, depth of pitch, clarity of speech, presence, animation, liveliness, and no faults.

What Makes a Good Voice for Radio: Perceptions of Radio Employers and Educators - ScienceDirect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad