A must made poll: will the Oilers be back in the SCF next season ?

Oilers in the finals next year ?

• Yes

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 151 64.5%
  • Too early to say

Votes: 43 18.4%

• Total voters

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
They’ve proven they’re capable of it but I’m betting the field every time. Vegas will be a lot stronger next year and I’m expecting Colorado to string together another deep run at some point. With their young talent, Dallas could put together the deepest roster.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
FLA has been in the SCF twice in a row and TB got there three years in a row before that.

It happens. The West is loaded with good teams, so I wouldn't bet on it happening next year. I do think they'll get back there in the not-too-distant future.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Just based on the odds I highly doubt it. That is why I get no enjoyment in just making the finals and losing. If you don't win the Cup when you have the chance it's a failure and you might not get a chance to win it again for a long time or even a very long time. All the Oilers accomplished this season is losing in the playoffs and nothing more.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They'll need to go all in next year if they want to get it done with their current core, I doubt they get Draisaitl extended otherwise and after that their cap situation worsens significantly anyway.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No chance.

They got to the SCF with the likes of Nurse & Ceci playing "D". Both cost them games outright this postseason. And they can't get rid of Nurse. Maybe Ceci too.

I don't think Skinner is good enough to outright steal a series. He's too dependent on the D in front of him limiting chances. Or outscoring opponents. He let's in the first shot too often & often can't outduel the other goalie. His poor performance led to the Vancouver series going 7. Which in turn put miles on tired bodies.

I don't see enough at the winger spot. They are missing an explosive player there.

You shouldn't need a player putting up historic numbers to get to the SCF. There should be a supporting cast who can pick up the slack.

They'll need to go all in next year if they want to get it done with their current core, I doubt they get Draisaitl extended otherwise and after that their cap situation worsens significantly anyway.
Sans a major injury, he has some explaining to do. If he is looking for a reason they lost, he needs to look in the mirror.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
They will be contenders but will they have the same luck:

1st round - Kings (an easy matchup, decided by the Vegas loss on the last game of the season)
2nd round - A team without their star goalie (Canucks) and their top scorer in Game 7
3rd round - A beatup Dallas Stars team (who beat the last 2 champions and were totally spent)

Oilers were also relatively healthy compared to the other teams through the series.

Luck also plays a huge factor, so unlikely next year. Then the year after Drai's huge contract kicks in and McDavid's the year after. Things are going to go sour quickly in Edmonton in 2 years.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I honestly don't know what to make of the oilers. McDavid breaking a Gretzky record I could have seen coming knowing they made the finals.

Playing competent defense and having an all time great penalty kill I would never have dreamed of. That's why they made the run and that will be a lot harder to replicate

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted yes

But it's tough vs the field. If you ask me if Oilers are most likely team to make the finals in the west id say yes. But overall vs field its tougher

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Next year is they'll probably be as strong as now. After that, they'll have to give 11-12 mil to Bouch and Drai, which will hurt their great depth.

One thing that is helping them Is the easy division, which can easily gift them a ticket to WCF again. But I think Stars will make it this time.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No. They literally had all the breaks go their way this year and had the easiest path I've ever seen a team have to the final. They also had the refs in their back pockets in every game. It's very difficult to make it back the year after. This Florida team is a rarity.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
No. They literally had all the breaks go their way this year and had the easiest path I've ever seen a team have to the final. They also had the refs in their back pockets in every game. It's very difficult to make it back the year after. This Florida team is a rarity.

Three out of their four opponents won more games (50-52 apiece) and had point percentages between .665-.689.

The teams they faced ranked 2, 3, 5, 8 in GA during the regular season. They ranked 3, 7, 11, 16 in GF.

“Easiest path you’ve ever seen” means you just started watching this season. Crack the books because you have no idea what you’re talking about.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The easy answer is no. Very few teams make it back to the SCF in back to back years.
I’d give Vegas, Colorado and Dallas at least equal odds of making it. So at best their odds are 25% even ignoring upsets and assuming no other team in the West takes another step.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The easy answer is no. Very few teams make it back to the SCF in back to back years.
I’d give Vegas, Colorado and Dallas at least equal odds of making it. So at best their odds are 25% even ignoring upsets and assuming no other team in the West takes another step.

None of those teams have McDavid, who is no stranger to performing rare feats.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Florida did it, and Tampa just did it 3 straight times (which is incredible) but the East is a joke. I think the West is a little bit tougher to be honest. I don’t know what it is.

They have a great shot, but so do several other teams. I’d say very unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad