Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This pick is like a perfect blend of Clarke and Trev

Trev get his big strong defenseman, but there is some upside that Clarke has sniffed out

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Certainly not comfortable for them to go off-the-board again -- maybe Wes is smarter than the other 31 teams? lol -- but it worked last year with Cowan.

I am also liking what I am reading so far on Danford. The lack of offence is clearly why he wasn't a consensus first-rounder but it sounds like his puck skills may be better than the numbers indicate.

Finally... never a bad idea to draft a RHD or an Ontario kid who bleeds blue and white.

Reactions: arso40 and Marlow88

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
That shift was f***ing beautiful. Warrior to a tee jeez! For sure he’ll be the captain in Oshawa soon

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Certainly not comfortable for them to go off-the-board again -- maybe Wes is smarter than the other 31 teams? lol -- but it worked last year with Cowan.

I am also liking what I am reading so far on Danford. The lack of offence is clearly why he wasn't a consensus first-rounder but it sounds like his puck skills may be better than the numbers indicate.

Finally... never a bad idea to draft a RHD.

To be fair, it sounds like the lack of offense is why Cowan wasn't a first rounder either.

Just from quickly looking at stats, I am assuming he is blocked from being on the top pairing much like Cowan was blocked from a bigger role.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an uptick in the offense with a bigger role.

I've seen a few scouts before the draft say something along the lines of "wouldn't be surprised if he was a first rounder"

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Just fun to see people who probably never watch this guy playing try to tell he's a terrible pick or this player will be better.

We heard the same exact thing last year with Cowan and he maybe become the biggest steal of that 1st round.
I’ll eat crow on that. I hated the Cowan pick and now you see why I’m not a scout lol. Wes hit a homerun there

Reactions: arso40 and Marlow88

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Someone I trust said we were going off the board, but I expected it to be elsewhere. Hoepfully it works out, they earned some leeway after Cowan, but seems more of a stay at home guy, and without stronger offensive game it's hard to be a top 4 guy.
Not hard at all. You need stay at home Dmen in the top 4.

Reactions: ULF_55 and arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He better end up better than Solberg, Greentree and Emery.

I’ll tell you straight up he is better than EJ Emery, people complaining about Danford’s offensive output but then in the same breath wanting Emery is hilarious. Emery is very raw, high potential upside but Danford is more polished and honestly just a warrior. Watching in the OHL playoffs I liked him. Didnt think he’d be a first rounder.

But if our Emery, Elick and Danford, Danford is the best puck handler of the three and the best defensively out of the three. That’s what we want right? Defenseman who can defend.

I like Solberg but besides the hitting, is there more that he brings? I find those 4 defenseman are pretty interchangeable and there’s a ton of others who will go in the second round who may end up being better than the 4 I named too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad