Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
nod-yes.gif

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't remember the last time I saw such a good newly drafted player for us in the preseason. He was great at reading the play, and so calm while playing. I can see him becoming the 1C in a few years.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
He is going to be Larkin 2.0.

I look forward to all the "he isn't a 1C" talk with him from this board. Nate will carry that torch from Dylan. We already have a good amount of people who still think he was a bad pick, for some stupid reason.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I almost wonder if Portland will hurt his development a bit. That team is steamrolling teams these days. Game is a little too easy for the Winterhawks right now.

Won't be this easy at the higher levels.

Ah, Nate is a super smart player, I shouldn't over think it.

Only scoring a point per game on a bad Brandon team: hurt development, low potential. ‘Only ThIrD LiNeR…’

Scoring above a point per game on a good Portland team: game too easy, might make him develop bad habits, ‘yeah, but Sam Gagner was a jr superstar…’

Am I doing this thread right?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Can an argument be made that a young player's style who's having success in the pro's does NOT translate well to the minor leagues?

I think there is definitely some validity to that. And truthfully people have said it in different terms.

Danielson doesnt cheat out of his defensive zone for a quick rush and he doesn't linger in the offensive zone when the puck starts moving the other way.

Guys that do those things tend to put up big numbers in juniors but their play style actually holds them back at the next level.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think he makes the roster next year to be honest. I really hope he does, at least.
We have too many plugs on this team. Can he be sent down to the AHL when he turns 20 in September?

Kasper 1C next year in GR, hopefully a callup halfway through the year.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I think he makes the roster next year to be honest. I really hope he does, at least.
We have too many plugs on this team. Can he be sent down to the AHL when he turns 20 in September?

Kasper 1C next year in GR, hopefully a callup halfway through the year.
Yep, he's AHL eligible which is why I was super glad we capitalized on maximizing the gains of his final junior year. We're getting a better player, faster.

Frankly, for that, I don't think he sees a day in the AHL. He's naturally gonna need a small adjusting time when the regular season starts but he'll be solid all year I think.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We are going to have to rely on ELCs next year
Mixing controlled ELCs and high veteran contracts is a good way to maximize your window. With the inflow of young talent we are experiencing and will see over the next few years the Wings have a good shot of bringing home at least one cup in the next 5 years. I'd like to see them start trading picks for roster improvement.

I think we've also reached the point where Yzerman needs to start being careful with his acquisitions and not just signing warm bodies, but I also thought that last year and then we ended up with Holl.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I don't remember the last time I saw such a good newly drafted player for us in the preseason. He was great at reading the play, and so calm while playing. I can see him becoming the 1C in a few years.
like some have said (cough) he is our next larkin (most likely)

We are going to have to rely on ELCs next year
a lot of our ELCs are pretty good ones to rely on..

Reactions: RRhoads

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You kind of need to call up kids in order to rely on ELCs...

Odds are we have fewer ELCs next season than we have this season (Mo and Ray).

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I think there is definitely some validity to that. And truthfully people have said it in different terms.

Danielson doesnt cheat out of his defensive zone for a quick rush and he doesn't linger in the offensive zone when the puck starts moving the other way.

Guys that do those things tend to put up big numbers in juniors but their play style actually holds them back at the next level.

I guess my thinking is being positionally sound for the NHL game would leave you 'out of position' in a league that's not the NHL.

I was in a street basketball tourney a long time ago, and a few fringe NBA players didn't do well at all. They were likely the most talented players there, but that pro style discipline didnt do as well in an up and down street game.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Only scoring a point per game on a bad Brandon team: hurt development, low potential. ‘Only ThIrD LiNeR…’

Scoring above a point per game on a good Portland team: game too easy, might make him develop bad habits, ‘yeah, but Sam Gagner was a jr superstar…’

Am I doing this thread right?
You forgot to add something along the lines of "He's getting D-zone starts, therefore he is LFG"

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
You forgot to add something along the lines of "He's getting D-zone starts, therefore he is LFG"
I think getting D zone starts in junior is great. I think a guy who can score PPG in the WHL while playing in all three zones is far more likely to make it as a middle six guy than someone who scores 1.5 PPG and only plays offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think getting D zone starts in junior is great. I think a guy who can score PPG in the WHL while playing in all three zones is far more likely to make it as a middle six guy that someone who scores 1.5 PPG and only plays offense.

Yeah, at worst he's "Helm with Hands", lol. Or maybe I should change that to "LFG with Hands" so that Ogee is happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad