PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
I think coaching team failed. We played the same slow defensive hockey as last against Team Europe, instead of trying to take advantage of their weak points. Also Lundqvist was bad again, and defence wasn't good on their goals against. The game looked to much like the training game where we lost - here the coaching team should have changed things instead of playing the exact same tactics again.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Funny how people cry about everything beeing horrible because their team cant win enough games. Winning takes care of everything. USA, NA, Russia, Sweden etc couldnt finish it off. NA specially looked alot better than everyone the first period every game then they couldnt keep it up anymore. Europe deserved it, damn impressive with that lineup.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Sweden had a hard time pushing the pace this tournament. They seemed confident in their ability get the first goal and sit on it. Works every time except when it doesn't.

There is a lack of game breaking forwards as well, so they had to rely on the cycle offensively. Hard to get easy goals that way.

This I agree with, feels like they should have made some changes in the 3rd to get up the pace, like try Hagelin – Bäckström – Eriksson with Karlsson – Hedman/Hjalmarsson to see if they could up the speed a bit, at least for a shift or two.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
That's a pretty good D by Europe. Not surprised at all.

lol no it isnt. Chara is over the top, Sekera is a mediocre top 2D, Josi is elite, Strait solid top 4, Ehrhoff and Seidenberg struggle to get NHL deals atm. Sweden has 3 elite #1 defensemen and the rest are solid top pair defensemen.

Corax

May 1, 2007
If Europe beats Canada in 2 straight games, which actors do you want to play Halak, Chara etc in the hollywood movie? I could totally see Elijah Wood as Zucarello!
it is not a movie material. If Sweden made finals, that would be historical. :cry:

Corax

May 1, 2007
lol no it isnt. Chara is over the top, Sekera is a mediocre top 2D, Josi is elite, Strait solid top 4, Ehrhoff and Seidenberg struggle to get NHL deals atm. Sweden has 3 elite #1 defensemen and the rest are solid top pair or great top 4 defensemen.
Sekera is top pairing as well as Chara. Thats about it. But yes, Swedish D man has been advertised like a cream that makes you 20 years younger.
And you bought it. Are you now - 5?

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I predicted an upset before I left the house for errands... I didn't actually expect to come home to an upset.

Sorry Sweden. Was looking forward to Canada matching up with you guys in the final.

So the wily old team Europe was playing possum. I've been really impressed with Krueger's ability to coach this team. He got them to buy into a fairly complicated idea of playing hard for a mishmash Europe team yet still representing the flag sewn on their sleeves. This was their chance to beat all the national teams that they never had the chance to as lesser hockey nations. Tip of my hat.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
lol no it isnt. Chara is over the top, Sekera is a mediocre top 2D, Josi is elite, Strait solid top 4, Ehrhoff and Seidenberg struggle to get NHL deals atm. Sweden has 3 elite #1 defensemen and the rest are solid top pair defensemen.

They didn't play like what you class them like. They even played out of pressure, not just icing the puck in panic.

So your historical data is like Grönborgs coaching, use historical data and statistics instead of good and active coaching with live game adjustments.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Murray let in 4 on 4 shots playing with a broken hand. Team N A got no sympathy. [mod].

I doubt that the way you have been gagging that NA-**** this tournament. You probably didn't even watch that game, you just looked up the score and saw, man, sweden lost 6-2, what a DOMINATION-WIN!!

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
I think it's great that we lost. Now i don't have to watch another 2-3 gimmick games in the middle of the night.
But you got up in middle of night to watch round robin and semis of gimmicks tournament? Does not compute. Sounds an awful lot like sour grapes to me.
BTW, would have only been 2 more.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I predicted an upset before I left the house for errands... I didn't actually expect to come home to an upset.

Sorry Sweden. Was looking forward to Canada matching up with you guys in the final.

So the wily old team Europe was playing possum. I've been really impressed with Krueger's ability to coach this team. He got them to buy into a fairly complicated idea of playing hard for a mishmash Europe team yet still representing the flag sewn on their sleeves. This was their chance to beat all the national teams that they never had the chance to as lesser hockey nations. Tip of my hat.

The only teams to have beat them, North America twice and Canada once. I think they have been playing extremely well and are the 3rd best team in this tourney. Canada, N A, and Europe.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
the team that everyone were seeing last (including myself and TSN) are going to the finals

giphy.gif

Way to go Europe!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad