PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Embarrassing? Seems like you're judging these teams by Canada's standards, while they none of them have half the lineup that Canada does. And it's not like anyone outside of North America cares about this tournament anyway.

USA didn't win a game, Sweden and Russia finished with as many losses as they did wins. And why would they care about it? I'd be sick of watching Canadian dominance by now as well.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Nah. Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. People have been saying this since 2006. We're still clearly ahead of the next tier countries (your Norways, Germanys, Austrias) in development. Always in the elite division of the WJC, while they're not. So that's your forseeable future, we ain't going nowhere, if anything, the generation around Sekera's age is our worst ever, he's the only true elite player of that age. Now we'll be on a bit of an upswing as the younger guys start to make their mark on the national team more.

That's great to hear especially for future of international hockey as having more competitive teams is always a plus.

Last edited:

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Would've rather had Sweden in the final for the entertainment value, but seeing all swedes and the sour grapes is pretty entertaining as well :popcorn:

The Swedish posts remind me of those depressing Ingmar Bergman movies from film studies class.

cbea6108aeb19f19b86fc0b199d75354.jpg
ae4bcaf073e5e883ceebe20f1fed1aa7.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What a historic finals this will be between Canada and Europe, so much history between these two countries :sarcasm:.

Once they play the national anthems of each country it will all become very real. Or not.

May the best country/continent win! Bettman et al must be rolling their eyes.

I am loving this. Would be gr8 if Europe won it all.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I've never liked the saying "Y stunned in OT". Is it possible to be stunned at that point? "X completes the upset in OT" I like :nod:

/dodges tomatoes

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Great performance by the Euro's today, can't believe this is the same team I watched get destroyed by team NA in the pre-tournament game.

Best part was watching their unified celebration dance in the corner, made me realize that these guys have become more of a TEAM than the boys from the USA.

Looking forward to the final, hope it goes 3!

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Well, that's the best ending of the World Cup. My sleep schedule is ruined as it is, watching 3 more games at night would have been really hard. At least now I know I won't lose anything when I skip them.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Once they play the national anthems of each country it will all become very real. Or not.

May the best country/continent win! Bettman et al must be rolling their eyes.

I am loving this. Would be gr8 if Europe won it all.
I agree it would be for everyone but Canadians [for the most part] but it's not going to happen. Iceland used up all the sport miracles this year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I agree it would be for everyone but Canadians [for the most part] but it's not going to happen. Iceland used up all the sport miracles this year.

Is it bad that I'm Canadian and would enjoy seeing Europe win? :)

I'd be very happy to see Krueger, Drai and Sekera win. I'd probably care more about a Canada win if McDavid was on team Canada, but he wasn't allowed to be.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Is it bad that I'm Canadian and would enjoy seeing Europe win? :)

I'd be very happy to see Krueger, Drai and Sekera win. I'd probably care more about a Canada win if McDavid was on team Canada, but he wasn't allowed to be.

No of course it's not bad. I heard McDavid wants to play for Canada next time. He may make it.:sarcasm:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What were the shot stats in this game?

I believe it was 10-5 Sweden in the first, 16-9 Europe in the second, then Sweden heavily outshot and outplayed them in the third. Sweden outplayed them in overtime but Euruope managed to get a quick one. I got to see it live and that was an amazing game. I also find it hard to believe that's the same Europe team I watched get stomped by North America. They are legit, as they should be they are made up for 8 different countries. Just for the record, Chara is still a really good player, and that team is amazing... but not good enough to beat Canada twice. :)

Last edited:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Scott Oake Topped himself again comparing this to the Belarus victory over Sweden in the 2002 Olympics.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its pretty hilarious that they are now in the final. NHL's worst nightmare, imagine they somehow win hahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad