PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I was not a fan of gadget teams, and even less so now that it's Europe Canada. I will however give Team Europe credit for what they have accomplished - like it or not.

I am debating whether or not to hop on a plane and take in game 2. There likely will not be a game 3 - which is why I wanted Sweden. Their D and a hot King could have stolen one.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Murray let in 4 on 4 shots playing with a broken hand. Team N A got no sympathy. When someone doesn't like the facts just call the presenter of the facts a troll. Good one.
That's just ridiculous. I'm obviously happy for Team Europe making the finals, but honestly it should've been Team North America.

- they beat Finland and Sweden
- they were actually really better than those teams
- they lost to Russia just 3-4, and were the better team in that game
- Murray was injured and let in 4 goals from 4 shots :shakehead
- they had big pressure on Russians at the end of the game, having a couple of big chances, including a clean straight post from Gostisbehere
- had they tied it, and then possibly won it in OT, they would've ended 1st in the group (and deservedly)

- AND, they played without Ekblad, their best D, two games
- AND, don't forget they were the whole tournament without Monahan, who would've made major difference as well.

Here's shots-on-goal period after period:

NA - Finland - (13:12)(18:6)(12:7) 43:25
NA - Russia - (9:11)(18:10)(19:4) 46:25
NA - Sweden - (16:16)(21:11)(7:9)(5:2) 49:38

This just should have been final between Canada and North America. It would have been epic. Too bad. I think they should've let there to be quarter-finals. I didn't think so before the tournament, because I thought it would make the group stage more interesting, but now I think it's a mistake. One bad game (and just in group stage) in such a big tournament shouldn't mean you are done for next 4 years. That's just not right. There should've been quarter-finals. That way we would've gotten Canada-Finland, Europe-NA, Russia-USA, Sweden-Czechs quarterfinals. That would make it interesting even more imo.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Consider whatever interest I had to Canada winning, to be all but gone as soon as Europe won. I wanted Europe to win just to beat Sweden but this is going to be an awful 2+ games.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Thanks a lot Sweden!!
Oh boy
What a great final this is going to be
Just what the NHL envisioned

Europe vs. Canada is the ultimate underdog story. I'm sure the media powers that be would rather have the USA or Team North America here, but if they can't market this, they really suck at their job.

It's a really fantastic story as this is pretty much Kopitar, and Vanek and Hossa and all these talents only chance at something like this.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why does everyone think Canada/Team NA would have been so great? I think it would have been a glorified All Star game with some 8-5 scores.

Don't care about this final but at least Team E will play something resembling NHL hockey.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
LMAO @ Tatar reminding us all that there is Soccer and then there's everything else in Europe.

Pardon me. Football.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why does everyone think Canada/Team NA would have been so great? I think it would have been a glorified All Star game with some 8-5 scores.

Don't care about this final but at least Team E will play something resembling NHL hockey.

God forbid you have the two most talented teams play.... They are the two best teams why wouldnt you want to see that. Something resembling NHL hockey? These two teams are capable of playing at a higher level than NHL hockey.... Thats the point of the tournament.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
Sweden showed zero passion, which was the reason I went to bed in the second intermission.

I am a hockey fanatic, but this tournament never peaked my interest - and looking at the lacadasical play from Sweden in 3 out of 4 games, they probably felt the same.

The Sedins are done. They are slow, no passion, no flair.... Thats why we lost, coach insisted on playing them. Especially Daniel was brutal this tourney.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Sedins are done. They are slow, no passion, no flair.... Thats why we lost, coach insisted on playing them. Especially Daniel was brutal this tourney.

Does Sweden even have any better players to replace them? The best players are already on Team Sweden and most of those best players struggled to get 1 point, only 1 forward got more points and only 2 equaled them. To replace the Sedins you are looking at guys worse than those, Sweden needs some new blood but it isn't showing itself atm.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

No one else on Sweden seemed to want to step up, and it was the Sedins that were the ones who helped generate the tying goal to get them to OT in the first place.

The Sedins have been "Done, slow, no passion, no flair and bad" for like 5 years now around here.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Seriously, some people in here really need to show some humility. Team Canada are the favorite for the final, but anything can happen. I am sure it will be a good best of 3!

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
As a swede, somehow i felt joy seeing those europeans jumping in the corner singing olé olé olé, i love Zuccarello and many other players on this team. Hope they somehow manage to bring excitement to the final

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Hopefully it's not two blowouts. I kind of expect that though given the rosters

I expect the same type of games as when they met a few days ago. If Canada can repeat the same gameplay, they should win 2 straight games. That said, if Halak stands on his head, Team Europe can still be dangerous.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
As a swede, somehow i felt joy seeing those europeans jumping in the corner singing olé olé olé, i love Zuccarello and many other players on this team. Hope they somehow manage to bring excitement to the final

I like that they are having fun. We get all caught up in best vs best or which nation is the best, but the two gimmick teams, who did not have to bear that burden, could remind us they are playing a game.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I would rather see Sweden not get out of round Robin and show some passion, than reaching the semi-final and floating their way through 65 minutes of hockey.

The only game where Sweden actually played hard and forechecked, was against Russia.

Perhaps to some extent against NA after they let in 2 goals within 2 minutes, but that's it.

Borring-ass defensive bs style who does not in any way utilize our best players to use their strenghts.

Okay, Sweden lost 7 players to injuries, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse as the ones who played should've been SO much better.

I'm glad it happened in this phony tournament and not when it really matters though.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
LMAO @ Tatar reminding us all that there is Soccer and then there's everything else in Europe.

Pardon me. Football.
Yeah pretty ironic that Europe footballed that in the net to beat the only team that maybe can beat the can

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad