Post-Game Talk: #65: FLYERS 5 at Rangers 3, Sunday, Mar. 1, 2020, 12:00 pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know. But I was hoping they'd then decide to keep him up and replace Thompson.

#FreeFarabee
#FreeGhost
#NoExcuse
Wh\\I do understand AV wanting to get a look at the new guys so he knows what he has in them come playoff time or when an injury occurs.

Hopefully, Thompson will be the scratch as he certainly has shown the least.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There isn't though. People are plenty excited. The team is playing well and AV is a massive upgrade over Hakstol. There are just issues at the margins that people want fixed because they ultimately don't care about 6 game win streaks or 2nd place. There's only 1 damn thing that matters - that shiny old trophy with hundreds of names on it - and we just want the organization to make as many good decisions as possible to win the damn thing. It's frustrating when they flub the easy ones.
Why does this need to be explained so often?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wh\\I do understand AV wanting to get a look at the new guys so he knows what he has in them come playoff time or when an injury occurs.

Hopefully, Thompson will be the scratch as he certainly has shown the least.
Sure, but he could have done that by rotating them in to the 4th line.

Add in 4th liners by subtracting 4th liners. Don't screw with the top 9 and send down Farabee.

Reactions: Foggy14

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sure, but he could have done that by rotating them in to the 4th line.

Add in 4th liners by subtracting 4th liners. Don't screw with the top 9 and send down Farabee.
I assume it's mostly to see how Grant DOES handle the #3C spot in case we need him be in that spot later on due to injury or if they want a change.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm honestly wondering if the Flyers should just retire #44. If Kimmo stepped on the ice tomorrow, I'm convinced he'd look less cooked than the 2 recent occupants.

Thompson at 4C isn't good. With Raffl and NAK, he can probably be carried into low event play. Still not good. That spot should have Grant's name on it, who has equipped himself well the last 2 games. But Nate's true damage to the team is on the PK. With Couturier, Hayes, Raffl, Laughton, Giroux, Pitlick, Grant.......you cannot tell me he should ever play on the PK, let alone start every PK1. Those are too many PKers to even use with a 3 line rotation. This team is the best face-off team in the league, so I don't want to hear that limp excuse. Give a HockeyGuy™ a grizzled vet, and he'll probably overuse him in high leverage situations. AV has been pretty good this year in not being stubborn and recognizing though.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
3* recent occupants.

Phil Varone.

It burns us.

tumblr_inline_mjfe5kM5vU1rfv2s9.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Why does this need to be explained so often?

Particularly on a day like today, when none other than Jake says the same damn thing we've been saying since PP1 was first messed with last season. How many wins / points / spots in the standings did having G & Voracek on the wrong sides cost us? Would we be 1st in the division right now? It's absurd.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
You're right, that can definitely skew the numbers, but when you look at the last 3 games overall and also the rel (comparing his stats to other players who played in the same score-effected situation) it shows that he was overwhelmed at 3C.
How bad were those fancy stats in Anaheim?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A lot of talk here about the old-new PP unit (which is obviously humming because you'd have to be a chain smoking puppet with a botched lobotomy, or a lover of those puppets, to not realize that wrong side unit was a hideous looking overreaction)........but Voracek has been instrumental, if not leading the charge. Shoutout the "get him off PP1 for a sniper" peeps. He didn't luck his way into top 10 PP production for much of a decade. High degree difficulty east-west passes are still the Holy Grail of PPs.

NAK now has 3 PP points, including 2 goals. Fun fact: he never scored a PP goal in the AHL in 229 games. He's probably seen more PP time in 1/3 of an NHL season than in all that AHL time. Your scoring depth is on the weaker side if he's getting regular NHL PP time (surprises me they never use Laughton in the slot), but all you can do is laugh really and praise development. 33 point pace.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Particularly on a day like today, when none other than Jake says the same damn thing we've been saying since PP1 was first messed with last season. How many wins / points / spots in the standings did having G & Voracek on the wrong sides cost us? Would we be 1st in the division right now? It's absurd.

Exactly. Been saying this all year.

The PP alone could’ve easily cost us a playoff spot if it didn’t get un-f*cked recently.

And that was just one of a handful of issues. Every single one matters. One mistake can lose you a game and a single game can end your season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad