Confirmed with Link: 6 year extension for Kaiden Guhle (5.5m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There he is! Haha, I know you well. :D

I like to be a contrarian and go against the grain, so I was trying to debunk the unanimous opinion. Most unanimous opinions around here are in bad faith from my experiences. 🤸‍♂️
Excellent reply ! Keep on being contrarian when the unanimous narrive is going one way. We need more pple like you on this site and in society.

You're not a number, you're a free man !

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think Matheson straight-up speed cannot be replicated by Hutson at this point, and having at least one very speedy two-way defenseman is too important to let go from a matchup point of view.

Call it from the left field and widely premature, but I feel Engstrom could ultimately be the guy who replace Matheson in term of general skillset.

Guhle is that as #3. We need a RH Matheson...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Matheson played 48 that year and Caufield 46 are they all injury prone too?
My God Guhle only played 44 games his rookie season...
I'm fairly certain the powers that be are aware of what Guhle needs to do to protect himself going forward.
Someone replyed to me he have to keep his head up. 2 concussions, that's something he have to be aware. At the end, all injuries are worrysome, concussion is one of them.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Because he gets more guaranteed years of prime Guhle.

Ok, but whether or not Sanderson is worth the money is not my point. The point is that you pay a guy that you see as a #1 dman on a cup contender a Sanderson-type contract if it means you get 2 extra guaranteed prime years at a cheaper rate. Hughes didn't do that because he likely doesn't see Guhle as that type of player. Maybe he becomes one, maybe he doesn't.

6 years x 5.5 M is a far better contract than 8 years x 8 M and it's not even close. Paying 2.5M more per year just to get 2 extra years isn't worth it.

Guhle doesn't have the draft pedigree and hasn't shown the offense to get what guys like Sanderson, Power, Heiskainen, Hughes, and so on, got.

Bringing up top 10 players in the NHL who signed team friendly contracts before they broke out aren't good examples.

I don't see how being top 10 players is relevant.

There are plenty of non top 10 players that have signed for far less than what their potential was. Pacioretty's 4.5 M and Gallagher's 3.5M contracts are habs examples of that.

Pastrnak scored 70 pts in 75 games before signing his contract. He already looked like an elite player.

Guhle hasn't broken out yet either. He's not currently a 1D. So I don't see how your excuse for those players wouldn't apply to him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
6 years x 5.5 M is a far better contract than 8 years x 8 M and it's not even close. Paying 2.5M more per year just to get 2 extra years isn't worth it.
You absolutely cannot say that as of right now, he could be asking for a lot more than ends up costing more than what we "saved", especially at the age of 29 where he will have a more expensive follow up contract than 31. If Guhle ends up becoming a #1 dman on a cup contender, he's going to be asking for significantly more than the Sanderson-type contract, especially with a rising cap. Your point is heavily flawed, you can't predict the future.
Guhle doesn't have the draft pedigree and hasn't shown the offense to get what guys like Sanderson, Power, Heiskainen, Hughes, and so on, got.
Which is why Hughes refused to give him that type of contract and doesn't see him as a #1 dman on a cup contender. You're proving my point by saying he doesn't have that type of potential based on what he's shown so far. So you, me, and Hughes don't see that kind of potential. Doesn't mean he won't overcome that potential. That's all I'm saying.
I don't see how being top 10 players is relevant.
It's absolutely relevant, it completely undermines your "point".
There are plenty of non top 10 players that have signed for far less than what their potential was. Pacioretty's 4.5 M and Gallagher's 3.5M contracts are habs examples of that.
Which is why I said those guys you initially listed were bad examples. As if the Avs/Bruins knew their respective players would end up being top 10 players in the league lol. I never said Guhle can't/won't surpass his contract, but it's very obvious that Hughes would have held out for 8 years for longer if he saw Guhle as that type of top line player on a cup contender.
Pastrnak scored 70 pts in 75 games before signing his contract. He already looked like an elite player.
Nobody expected him to be the player he is right now when he signed that contract, stop lying.
Guhle hasn't broken out yet either. He's not currently a 1D. So I don't see how your excuse for those players wouldn't apply to him.
What excuse? IF Guhle does end up being a #1 dman on a cup contender, Kent will be happy but would also regret not giving him an 8 year deal when he can easily ask for 10+million when he's 29 at the end of this deal. Seems like you're arguing about something completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
At the rate Kent is going, I half expect a trade announcement this afternoon or tomorrow
at the rate he is going, I'm concerned he's going to have issues getting to the cap floor when we make a run to the SC in 2 years!! :naughty:

My gawd! What’s going on here? Did all these players magically forget that Montréal is the highest taxed city in the league? 😮
in three years, Reinbacher going to sign for 8 x $5.5M, whereas Michkov going to be getting 5x$14M from master business man Danny Briere (aka Dubas)

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm not the biggest Guhle fan but he is a solid player that logs a lot of minutes for us and it's good to see him under contract for a long time.
You’re not allowed to say that here. You must think he’s a number 1 dman with a bunch of offensive potential ready to explode. Lolol. It’s a good contract for both sides imo. I don’t think KH did anything outstanding here, he got the player to agree to a deal fair to both sides.

They like him but probably don't love the injury issues hence the value of the contract.
'
And the duration.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Smart. Guhle ain't worth 8M. Virtually no offense and injury prone as of yet.
I maintain the only reason he gets injured (concussions) is because hes playing on his offside.. now that he is signed for a very reasonable amount, he'll go back to the Left and become a point producing monster.. brilliant strategy..

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It's Hutson and Reinbacher, Guhle is #3 has this contract confirms. Now it's not going to be this year as Hutson and Reinbacher are not ready, but money talks and right now that's the story money is telling. That's what our pro scouts are projecting.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
pretty sure you nailed it. Both Hutson and Mailloux get the green light to push offense.

I am still curious what Engtrom brings and if he pushes lhd even deeper. only caught a glimpse but seemed to be a stud.

Reactions: themilosh and SOLR

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was talking about Hutson, and yes, more than Guhle because a much higher offensive potential than Guhle.

Hutson is a tough one to read. He has a high ceiling but he comes with major volatility too. I look forward to seeing it all unfold.

Reactions: Barriwhite

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Someone replyed to me he have to keep his head up. 2 concussions, that's something he have to be aware. At the end, all injuries are worrysome, concussion is one of them.
I think he sees guys coming but goes all Josh Gorges. Makes the play but thinks he’s made of rubber. Not strong enough to reverse hit nhlers yet either. I agree playing rhd has to be part of it for sure.

Rumor has it that when Hughes was discussing the Guhle signing he was emotional and in tears 🤣🤣🤣
He does seem to be a father figure to these kids being both a hockey dad and agent on top.

edit wait is that a Gallagher / Berg reference?

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Amazing contract!

Guhle is a very good top 3-4 D-man at this moment, with top pairing potential, for sure. He need to stay healthy, but he played 70 games this year, so that's good!

That's a potential to become a huge steal, he can easily worth 7,5 millions in 2 years!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Pretty much exactly what I expected. I’m not sure what posters were expecting Guhle to be paid, 6-7m per year? That would’ve been an overpayment imo. I like this deal.
Whats not to like? A 1st pairing LHD cog signed for 8 years at less than superstar(s) Gally and Andy.. when are people going to understand how beneficial it is having the core locked in for 8 years at very reasonable cap %...

It's a breath of fresh air for this organization which has been mired in mediocracy for a generation..

The Core:
Cc-Szky-Slaf
Blank-Dach-Demidov
Guhle - Reinbacher
Lane- Mailloux
Xhekaj
Fowler

The Depth:
Tier 1: Nwhook/Hage/Beck/Roy/Barron/Struble
Monty
Tier 2:
Kapanen/Xhekaj/Harris/Engstrom
Primeau

Once the Vets get traded off, when our window opens (~2yrs) we are going to have a swath of tradeable assets and/or draft capital, but most importantly Cap Space to find the missing pieces..

If there was ever a time to trust the process, now is it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad