Post-Game Talk: #6| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | June 9TH | 7:30 PM | F/W 6-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That was probably the best game this team has ever played during the Barry Trotz/Lou Lamorielo tenure. So proud of these players. Special shout out to Travis Zajac. I thought he was an absolute beast in the first period.

4 Stars:

1. Nelly
2. Palms
3. Varly
4. Zaj

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
No it was actually our old friend John Spano who set us up with that contract. Although Wang did get the wheels in motion for the Belmont arena.

Which is an incredible piece of history. The cable deal was so lucrative it's been cited as a key factor in keeping the Isles in NY, and not only did Cablevision end up getting swindled on that deal, they entered into it with a person that arguably never should've had authority to sign anything on behalf of the Islanders and was in jail shortly after.

Reactions: islesmb

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Most of this team is Snow picks/trades. He set the stage, LL finished the product. He (Snow) also made a few questionable decisions. When Lou took over, he was asked to compare this core to the TML; he said this team is ready, with a veteran skill than TML had, in his subtle way.

What has Lou ever done for us? Except Lehner. I'll grant you Varlamov. It goes without saying JGP. Oh yeah alright Fair enough Trotz. Ok, outside of Martin. And Greene. Ok, now, along with...

Reactions: The Lighthouse

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Bossy was the first islanders jersey I ever had. My first sports hero and my favorite islander ever!
Same here. I should probably hate the guy because he practically single handedly delivered to me 30 years of misery.

I’m 50 years old, still only play RW, still only wear 22 as I have since I was 9.

Reactions: Islesfan22

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Agree with everything you said. One thing I will forever be grateful to Charles Wang however will be keeping the team in NY. It's easy to forget how bleak things were circa 2011. He had every right financially speaking to go elsewhere and he didn't. Wang was a terrible owner but a true NYer and I''ll always love him for that. Without buying time at Barclay's there is no Messiah Malkin and Lord Ledecky!

Sigh. Everyone who brings this up never answers the question...

How was ANY Islanders owner moving the team before 2015 given the SMG lease?

Since the "Gang of 4" everyone tried to break it and couldn't. It expired in 2015 and wouldn't you know that Malkin/Ledecky came along in 2014 just before it did.

The Islanders COULDN'T have been moved before 2015....And forgetting he benefits of being in the NY market over places like KC, Quebec, Houston, etc (who all aren't any closer to getting an NHL team), Bettman/the NHL wanted the Isles to stay right where they are. They just needed real owners to come along and none of them would as long as that SMG lease was still hanging over the team.

wang didn't save shit. He was a patsy.

Reactions: Stercrazy

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Which is an incredible piece of history. The cable deal was so lucrative it's been cited as a key factor in keeping the Isles in NY, and not only did Cablevision end up getting swindled on that deal, they entered into it with a person that arguably never should've had authority to sign anything on behalf of the Islanders and was in jail shortly after.

Kevin Connolly did a must-see documentary on John Spano and the whole process by which he scammed pretty much everyone. What a debacle that was.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Most of this team is Snow picks/trades. He set the stage, LL finished the product. He (Snow) also made a few questionable decisions. When Lou took over, he was asked to compare this core to the TML; he said this team is ready, with a veteran skill than TML had, in his subtle way.

Problem is that "finishing the product" is 1000 times more valuable than "setting the stage".

Reactions: MJF

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Kevin Connolly did a must-see documentary on John Spano and the whole process by which he scammed pretty much everyone. What a debacle that was.

The 30 for 30 thing right? Yeah thanks for the reminder, I'd wanted to watch that.

Problem is that "finishing the product" is 1000 times more valuable than "setting the stage".

And as we know from Snow, it turns out that if you never succeed, you get to keep drafting high and perpetually "set the stage." Without Lou's connections and the respect for Lou around the league, the team never would've been able to attract the quality of staff it did, let alone hire Trotz and then bring in staff like Korn for the goaltenders. Islanders have the pull as a team with emphasis on structure and identity that they never could've developed under Snow, and that alone was reason for him to go.

Reactions: periferal

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Sigh. Everyone who brings this up never answers the question...

How was ANY Islanders owner moving the team before 2015 given the SMG lease?

Since the "Gang of 4" everyone tried to break it and couldn't. It expired in 2015 and wouldn't you know that Malkin/Ledecky came along in 2014 just before it did.

The Islanders COULDN'T have been moved before 2015....And forgetting he benefits of being in the NY market over places like KC, Quebec, Houston, etc (who all aren't any closer to getting an NHL team), Bettman/the NHL wanted the Isles to stay right where they are. They just needed real owners to come along and none of them would as long as that SMG lease was still hanging over the team.

wang didn't save shit. He was a patsy.
The one real hard attempt that I remember to get out of the lease was Milstein/Gluckstern. And they offered a laughable $7M to get out of it 15 years early. They then tried to have it thrown out in court, because of the “unsafe scoreboard.”
I’m quite sure if someone with deep enough pockets came around and offered SMG enough money, they would’ve allowed it.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
That was probably the best game this team has ever played during the Barry Trotz/Lou Lamorielo tenure. So proud of these players. Special shout out to Travis Zajac. I thought he was an absolute beast in the first period.

4 Stars:

1. Nelly
2. Palms
3. Varly
4. Zaj

Let's make sure we slip Pelech in there as he was also a beast and Greene was also Johnny on the Spot. In fact, the whole defense was awesome. Much better game from Leddy and Dobson and Mayfield and Pulock continued their solid playoff play.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
STOOOOOOP WITH THE SNOW LOVE!!!
Holy cow people! This is like marrying a gorgeous, rich nympho wife who loves to cook and bake and who does all the yard work and instead of appreciating her, you thank her abusive ex boyfriend for making her who she is.
Wow... This analogy speaks volumes to your opinion of women. Lmfao. You want a sex slave and a live-in maid, good grief.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
wow islanders were in absolute beast mode last night! what a pleasure to watch!!! such a great feeling sending boston and their crybaby coach home for the year!!

i am also relieved to now know why brock was looking a step behind and now i know! congrats to his family and new child... he was an absolute monster last night and how he doesnt end up on any of your 3 stars of the game is beyond me!! he was flying around the ice like he had wings!! great to have him back in his usual form...

now on to tampa!! how great it would be to get revenge and send them home as well!! such a tough tough task ahead but i really think it can be done!!

they basically gave tb the first game of the series last season by making the isles have a super quick turnaround!!

here we gooooo LFGI!!!!! yeaaaaa boyyyy!!

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The one real hard attempt that I remember to get out of the lease was Milstein/Gluckstern. And they offered a laughable $7M to get out of it 15 years early. They then tried to have it thrown out in court, because of the “unsafe scoreboard.”
I’m quite sure if someone with deep enough pockets came around and offered SMG enough money, they would’ve allowed it.

Interesting, but short, story that was.

HOCKEY; Islanders Start Search for Temporary Home (Published 1998)

On Thursday, a day after filing suit against S.M.G. in Federal court, the team moved its furniture, files and memorabilia in a convoy of vans to temporary offices at 909 Third Avenue. It was the most dramatic gesture by the team in its feud with S.M.G.
The team also wants a new arena, but no financing plan is in place.
''We've warned people since August that one of the consequences of the safety problems not being handled is we'd have to do something like this,'' Seldin said.
Gary Bettman, the N.H.L. commissioner, is involved in trying to help the Islanders find a temporary home and resolve the legal dispute with S.M.G. He could forge a compromise that would get S.M.G. to make the necessary repairs that would keep the Islanders from becoming nomads.

Islanders Lose Ruling in Nassau Coliseum Dispute

The New York Islanders were ordered to return to the Nassau Coliseum after a judge in Mineola, N.Y., ruled the arena was safe to play in.
State Supreme Court Judge Burton Joseph granted Nassau County’s request for a preliminary injunction preventing the team from playing home games at any location other than the Coliseum.
The team moved out of the arena earlier this month and filed a $10-million federal lawsuit against SMG--formerly the Spectacor Management Group--claiming the arena was a danger to fans and players. That suit has not been resolved.
The ruling came after an independent engineering inspection of the 26-year-old arena, paid for by the NHL, deemed the building safe.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The reason why it was never broken is because it was too expensive to do so and why lawsuits over ridiculous claims were thrown out.

So again...The Isles were tied to the Coliseum, and thus NY, through 2015 at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad