OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I must not have been to clear, my bad, not a large portion of murders but a large portion of murders committed with legally owned guns. Not necessarily used by the owner themselves, I.e. The wife owning the gun and the husband killing her or vice versa.
Oh, I understand what you meant now.

For sure. Illegally owned guns are a big problem too. But it's a problem unique to America.

Countries where gun ownership is banned or very limited do not have an issue with gun violence from illegal guns.

England and Australia are 2 examples of countries that had ONE major shooting spree and actually took action and gun violence is almost non-existent in both countries now.

But hasn't Canada had a few shootings over the past year or two?

Regardless, whether guns are legal or not, there will always be stories like this. Just look at Europe. Bombs, vehicular killings, stabbings, etc. Obviously guns make it easier, but my point is, no matter what, shitty people do shitty things unfortunately. (I'm not saying this in defense of guns being legal, just pointing out a sad truth)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Until all guns are destroyed, there will be a way to obtain a gun illegally. No legislature will fix the problem, it will only hamper law abiding citizens.
The minute all guns are destroyed, someone is his basement will have one fabricated on his own. Hell, people have successfully 3D printed firearms.
Countries that do not have a gun problem have other problems taking its place. There has been almost an acid attack a day in England and trucks plowing through civilians has been happening left and right.
Should we as a people take away acid and trucks? No, both serve purposes when used properly. We as a people need to go after those that intend on causing others harm.
How many people have committed crimes of those natures that have already been on watch lists? The lists do no good if the fear of being labeled a racist hampers you from protecting others.
Before someone calls me out for being a racist, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oh, I understand what you meant now.

But hasn't Canada had a few shootings over the past year or two?

Regardless, whether guns are legal or not, there will always be stories like this. Just look at Europe. Bombs, vehicular killings, stabbings, etc. Obviously guns make it easier, but my point is no matter what ****ty people do ****ty things unfortunately. (I'm not saying this in defense of guns being legal, just pointing out a sad truth)

I can't deny any of this.

I'm just completely frustrated with the lack of effort to even TRY different things.

It's gonna be a few days of thoughts and prayers followed by a few days of anger and frustration over the inability to do anything and then it will just go back to business as usual.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Until all guns are destroyed, there will be a way to obtain a gun illegally. No legislature will fix the problem, it will only hamper law abiding citizens.
The minute all guns are destroyed, someone is his basement will have one fabricated on his own. Hell, people have successfully 3D printed firearms.
Countries that do not have a gun problem have other problems taking its place. There has been almost an acid attack a day in England and trucks plowing through civilians has been happening left and right.
Should we as a people take away acid and trucks? No, both serve purposes when used properly. We as a people need to go after those that intend on causing others harm.
How many people have committed crimes of those natures that have already been on watch lists? The lists do no good if the fear of being labeled a racist hampers you from protecting others.
Before someone calls me out for being a racist, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089

Not sure what you're insinuating there but almost every mass shooting in America, including Las Vegas, has been done by a white male.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't deny any of this.

I'm just completely frustrated with the lack of effort to even TRY different things.

It's gonna be a few days of thoughts and prayers followed by a few days of anger and frustration over the inability to do anything and then it will just go back to business as usual.
And this is exactly what I was saying! So much of the outrage and concern is fake, which is what grinds my gears whenever it happens in response to any event.

What percentage of the people on twitter right now, who are wearing their fingers to the bone tweeting, will still care in a few days, a week, a month, etc? If the outrage was real, and not for show, things would have already been changed. But that isn't what happens... ever. People get what they want out of it, the chance to look caring and concerned, and then they no longer have anything to gain so they couldn't care less.

Reactions: Peter Man

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
If we woke up tomorrow and there were no more guns in the hands of civilians around the world, there'd an influx in improvised bombings and vehicle attacks. Along with that would come more government and stripped liberties.

Shitty people do shitty things, that's the reality.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And this is exactly what I was saying! So much of the outrage and concern is fake, which is what grinds my gears whenever it happens in response to any event.

What percentage of the people on twitter right now, who are wearing their fingers to the bone tweeting, will still care in a few days, a week, a month, etc? If the outrage was real, and not for show, things would have already been changed.

See ...I don't think their outrage is fake...not most people anyway. I know I was genuinely sad and angry this morning and still am..but I know that after a few weeks it will fade and the next controversy will take center stage.

We are just powerless to change certain things because every issue is politicized which leads to a 50/50 split every time.

I mean..the f***ing environment has somehow become politicized. Absurd.

Democracy is a myth.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

What percentage of the people on twitter right now, who are wearing their fingers to the bone tweeting, will still care in a few days, a week, a month, etc? If the outrage was real, and not for show, things would have already been changed. But that isn't what happens... ever. People get what they want out of it, the chance to look caring and concerned, and then they no longer have anything to gain so they couldn't care less.

Exactly. They'll put an overlay on their Facebook profile pic and call it a day in a week when they come down from their moral high ground.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Exactly. They'll put an overlay on their Facebook profile pic and call it a day in a week when they come down from their moral high ground.

What would you suggest people do? Pretend it didn't happen? March on Washington?

It's awfully judgemental to criticize the way people handle national tragedies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, it's been kept polite hence why I've let it go for a bit, but let's not get too carried away. We do have a political board if you'd like to be yelled at by e-strangers for your beliefs, though.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
See ...I don't think their outrage is fake...not most people anyway. I know I was genuinely sad and angry this morning and still am..but I know that after a few weeks it will fade and the next controversy will take center stage.

We are just powerless to change certain things because every issue is politicized which leads to a 50/50 split every time.

I mean..the ****ing environment has somehow become politicized. Absurd.

Democracy is a myth.
I guess that's where we disagree, I don't think most people actually do. For some things I'm pretty optimistic, but when it comes to the intentions and selfishness of the general public, I'm pretty pessimistic.

Of course I'm not saying nobody cares, there's absolutely truly good and selfless people out there, I'm just saying I've seen sooooo many people who are full of shit. Obviously 99% was an exaggeration on my part.

God damnit, are you guys gonna make me patrol political discussion here?
I understand why mods don't want politics being discussed, but I think we've done a good job keeping it a civil and respectful discussion at least.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Defect

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
What would you suggest people do? Pretend it didn't happen? March on Washington?

It's awfully judgemental to criticize the way people handle national tragedies.

You're right, I was a bit generalistic there.

I think people should actually do something about issues they "appear" to feel so strongly about. I'm sure a lot do, but there's no denying people use events like this to grandstand on their hollow feelings. Don't take to social media without knowing jack shit about the topic you're so adamantly opposed to. That's all.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Not sure what you're insinuating there but almost every mass shooting in America, including Las Vegas, has been done by a white male.
Virginia tech was Asian. San Francisco's UPS shooter was Asian. Pulse was Arabic. The list goes on. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/
Going back to and including 2000, 28 mass shootings were committed by anything other than white and 29 were from whites.
The definition of a mass shooting is 4 or more victims. That website list any big shooting. If we remove the shootings with less than 4 victims the number goes to 27 and 25.
I'm not making this a race thing. Whites are not superior to other races. We're all equals.
However the current PC culture is killing people because people are now afraid to report and actually act on facts at the fear of being deemed a racist.
I'm just dispelling the thought that almost all mass shootings are done by white people.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just have never seen a legit reason why anyone should own an automatic weapon.

Shoot it for fun at a controlled environment under supervision, sure. Own it so you can do whatever, whenever you want....seems like a simple no.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I just have never seen a legit reason why anyone should own an automatic weapon.

Shoot it for fun at a controlled environment under supervision, sure. Own it so you can do whatever, whenever you want....seems like a simple no.
That's why automatic weapons have not been manufactured since the 80's. The problem is they are out there and if you take them away that sets a deadly precedent of the government disarming the population.
That and how exactly do you peacefully disarm a man with a fully automatic weapon lol.
I'm making this star up 100%, but I would imagine 80% of the automatic weapons in America are up for sale on gun shop and range walls for decoration. "Dude that new range across town has Rambo's gun for sale!"
I know I've personally gone to a range because they have a decommissioned rocket launcher on their wall "for sale" that I haven't seen in person.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It was asked earlier how he got them in there. He was there since Wednesday & brought in ten bags periodically leading up to the event.
Thank you, I figured that had to be the case. I wasn't trying to slow roll an insider help conspiracy lol.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Apparently might be no brain activity though. And a do-not-revive order. And a bleak outlook.

Hearts suck. Norm MacDonald is right, we need to attack our hearts before they attack us.

Don't kill the dream! I will go see him in concert ! :(

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Nobody has ever fully recovered from having no brain activity for any significant amount of time have they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad