OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't it because one of the founders of one of those youth basketball leagues worked for Nike? It wasn't a real direct link, but they are probably ****ting their pants right now.

They raided their basketball grassroots division. Alabama, Arizona, Oklahoma State, & USC are all Nike schools involved so far. Arizona apparently got into a bidding war for a player that went up to $250K.

So I don’t really see how they’re not involved. Auburn & South Carolina are Under Armor schools named as well. Realistically I don’t think any of these companies nor the schools don’t have a hand in this. I don’t really know how you could put out a good enough team year to year without playing the game.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
As someone who has and continues to study philosophy of mind, futurism, transhumanism, the singularity, et cetera, I seek out these shows. I thought it was pretty good, not great, with potential. One bias I particularly dislike is carbocentrism (as applied to both robots and aliens) in regards to the ability to have consciousness or experience qualia (pain, Gestalt items) or have will (which I consider better defined as 'having the ability to' as I agree with compatibilism). This show drops skepticism all over the carbocentric assumption and raises some ethical concerns, so I clamor onto that. The better mainstream feature on these items is Ex Machina, which is friggen entertaining. Made me really enjoy Oscar Isaac as an actor as well.

You're about a step and a half from starting a "What Is It Like to Be A Bat?" argument on a hockey message board. This is great.

Reactions: Flyotes

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Under Armour is involved it's impossible to believe UMD isn't going to get slammed.

I guess it depends how far down the rabbit hole the FBI wants to go with this. Are they only going after the six figure guys & big schools that paid them or are they going to go after everyone? As even those next tier recruits & beyond would have enough value where a school/company/agent might pay them $10K+.

I don’t know what the NCAA is going to do. As even what we know now they’re going to be punishing some of their big money makers & that list could grow. If the FBI goes deep & the NCAA rules on every finding your next few seasons is essentially going to be ruined with every team worth a damn being in trouble.

I think the NCAA needs to eventually just go the Olympic route & allow players to make money off themselves if other companies want to pay them for sponsorships. It wouldn’t solve everything but it would solve some especially here with basketball & shoe deals. The NCAA even if they wanted to they can’t control what has transpired here. The investigation the FBI has launched is what’s required to crack down on this & the NCAA obviously don’t have that type of jurisdiction.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Under Armour is so deeply enmeshed with UMD, and gives them so much money already, that I'd be surprised if UMD's program is clean if Under Armour is involved.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Under Armour is so deeply enmeshed with UMD, and gives them so much money already, that I'd be surprised if UMD's program is clean if Under Armour is involved.

I think if you’re a fan of any basketball team with some value you have to be concerned right now to be honest.

If I am a Kentucky or Kansas fan specifically I’m sweating bullets right now.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
$

That's what I have to say about all the NCAA Schools in this whole ordeal. (Except for Oregon, of course)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They raided their basketball grassroots division. Alabama, Arizona, Oklahoma State, & USC are all Nike schools involved so far. Arizona apparently got into a bidding war for a player that went up to $250K.

So I don’t really see how they’re not involved. Auburn & South Carolina are Under Armor schools named as well. Realistically I don’t think any of these companies nor the schools don’t have a hand in this. I don’t really know how you could put out a good enough team year to year without playing the game.

Ahh alright. I saw it when it came out a couple days ago, but haven't been paying too much attention besides the article I read yesterday about coach #2 lol

Also, did the board go soft and reintroduce the swear filter?

Shit

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, that definitely qualifies in my mind. Speaking of which, is the new one supposed to be any good?

The reviews are overwelmingly positive so far. 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. I can't wait to see it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad