OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Apparently the studio edited out 20 minutes which tie the whole thing together. Yeah. Like...maybe stop making movies where that happens.

Kingdom of Heaven is one that is garbage in original release form and actually almost great in the Director's Cut. Orlando Bloom was just terrible casting for that role.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Apparently the studio edited out 20 minutes which tie the whole thing together. Yeah. Like...maybe stop making movies where that happens.

Kingdom of Heaven is one that is garbage in original release form and actually almost great in the Director's Cut. Orlando Bloom was just terrible casting for that role.

The Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is the only one I have seen and it's a fantastic movie. Very underrated!

Ridley did a great job with The Martian too but he had great original source material to work with.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is the only one I have seen and it's a fantastic movie. Very underrated!

Ridley did a great job with The Martian too but he had great original source material to work with.

Part of why it's underrated was the theatrical flop, I think. It didn't become great until it was on DVD.

If I recall correctly, one removed hunk of story covers that Eva Green's boy has leprosy and that she poisons him. He dies, and Guy becomes king. In the theatrical version, Ed Norton croaks...and suddenly Guy is king for no conceivable reason and Eva Green's son is never seen again.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Part of why it's underrated was the theatrical flop, I think. It didn't become great until it was on DVD.

If I recall correctly, one removed hunk of story covers that Eva Green's boy has leprosy and that she poisons him. He dies, and Guy becomes king. In the theatrical version, Ed Norton croaks...and suddenly Guy is king for no conceivable reason and Eva Green's son is never seen again.

Interesting. Glad I missed the theatrical.

Also, can we talk about Eva Green?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

Kingdom of Heaven at the time had gorgeous war scenes and some really great shots. No regrets watching it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hawt take: I think the original Blade Runner is a tad overrated. Aethestically it's a game changer and a masterpiece in style and mood.

Plot and character holds it back for me a bit. It's a movie that never felt as good as it could be in that area. It's why Ridley made 2727374828293303030 versions.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Kingdom of Heaven at the time had gorgeous war scenes and some really great shots. No regrets watching it.

IIRC, part of the problem was that it came out very close to the time "Troy" came out, didn't it? And some of the cheese reputation that "Troy" rightly earned dripped onto "Kingdom." My memory is poop, so I could be totally wrong about that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

No word of a lie, when watching this, my wife asked if this was based off a true story.

:biglaugh:

I always tell her she is book smart! She blamed it on the fact that she was having a long week...she is an Operating Room Nurse. I just gave her a "are you f***ing kidding me" side stare.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hawt take: I think the original Blade Runner is a tad overrated. Aethestically it's a game changer and a masterpiece in style and mood.

Plot and character holds it back for me a bit. It's a movie that never felt as good as it could be in that area. It's why Ridley made 2727374828293303030 versions.

I agree. It's still an important film for the future of sci-fi movies at the time, but the plot is flat at some points. For me its when they meet that shlubby sad looking character in that rundown apartment building and waste time with him for a while.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If we are talking Philip K. Dick movies, I think Minority Report is a better overall movie than Blade Runner. Though the ending's punch was pulled. In the original edit of the movie, instead of the happy ending, it was going to close with...."And murder returned to Washington D.C." Now that's a science fiction ending.

But I'm waiting for the Ubik adaptation.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
IIRC, part of the problem was that it came out very close to the time "Troy" came out, didn't it? And some of the cheese reputation that "Troy" rightly earned dripped onto "Kingdom." My memory is poop, so I could be totally wrong about that.

Not sure. I'll confess to liking the awful movie that is Troy. If it comes on somehow I'll leave it on tv and just let it go. Here comes some nerdiness: In the west most people really don't like Paris, but they haven't studied enough Greek background to understand the character. He comes off like a punk and coward, but in that time period, individuals weren't analyzed that way. Then Socrates comes along and gums up the works.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I heard the Martian was mostly some guy doing math. Worth the watch?

The next sci-fi attempts I would like to see is a new Dune, Foundation, Saga, and Wind Up Girl. Also, make a Netflix 10 episode Dredd series. The newer movie was great. I'm taking SloMo right now, dawgs.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire

The next sci-fi attempts I would like to see is a new Dune, Foundation, Saga, and Wind Up Girl. Also, make a Netflix 10 episode Dredd series. The newer movie was great. I'm taking SloMo right now, dawgs.

Agreed and Agreed! I loved the Karl Urban Dredd and supposedly there is talk of a TV series of some sort. Since Dredd is a violent kinda guy, I think Netflix would be best (especially if the Punisher trailer is any indication - which I cannot wait for)

EDIT: And you should give The Martian a watch. That is a movie that is quickly becoming "if it's on I will watch the rest of it" kinda film in my house.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If we are talking Philip K. Dick movies, I think Minority Report is a better overall movie than Blade Runner. Though the ending's punch was pulled. In the original edit of the movie, instead of the happy ending, it was going to close with...."And murder returned to Washington D.C." Now that's a science fiction ending.

I feel like part of a small group when I say I loved A Scanner Darkly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Agreed and Agreed! I loved the Karl Urban Dredd and supposedly there is talk of a TV series of some sort. Since Dredd is a violent kinda guy, I think Netflix would be best (especially if the Punisher trailer is any indication - which I cannot wait for)

EDIT: And you should give The Martian a watch. That is a movie that is quickly becoming "if it's on I will watch the rest of it" kinda film in my house.

A Few Good Men tends to be that movie for me.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Minority Report is a hell of a movie.

I would agree that it's better than Blade Runner.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's more than that. Very good movie.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I enjoyed it. I like PKD, Linklater, and the rotoscoping was a cool idea for the movie.

Scanner Darkly may be my favorite PKD work.

I love the "what does a scanner see?" monologue.

“What does a scanner see? he asked himself. I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me - into us - clearly or darkly? I hope it does, he thought, see clearly, because I can't any longer these days see into myself. I see only murk. Murk outside; murk inside. I hope, for everyone's sake, the scanners do better. Because, he thought, if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I myself do, then we are cursed, cursed again and like we have been continually, and we'll wind up dead this way, knowing very little and getting that little fragment wrong too.”

Nice and bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad