GDT: #5 | Canucks at Flyers | Saturday, October 19, 2024 | 7:00 PM Normal Time | NBCSP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts was pretty adamant in TC that he didn't see this as a playoff team.

"I don't look that far ahead," Tortorella said with two preseason games left. "I don't. I think we have plenty of things to do as we continue to build. We are still building. I just don't get that far ahead. It's just hockey speak, right? 'Yeah, we're here to win a Stanley Cup.' I don't believe in that. We have so much s--- to do with our team before we even start talking about that stuff."

So much for being part of the PR "selling a narrative."

In fact, I'd say they've gone out of their way to down play Michkov and take pressure off of him.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

"I don't look that far ahead," Tortorella said with two preseason games left. "I don't. I think we have plenty of things to do as we continue to build. We are still building. I just don't get that far ahead. It's just hockey speak, right? 'Yeah, we're here to win a Stanley Cup.' I don't believe in that. We have so much s--- to do with our team before we even start talking about that stuff."

In fact, I'd say they've gone out of their way to down play Michkov and take pressure off of him.

Yes they have tried to temper expectations on Michkov for sure. In some ways it feels like they've done the opposite with Luchanko, praising his maturity, two-way game, and NHL readiness. So a bit of a mixed message there.

They have certainly maintained that making the playoffs is not the goal, but rather building a sustainable team that can contend for the Cup. Now, what does that look like in their minds? I don't know, but I do agree with the philosophy of building a sustainable system that can withstand the vagaries and variations from season to season.

I think Ersson's numbers will look better with a more stable team in front of him. I'm not so sure that's true of Fedotov.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure of anything at this point in the season.
I think their plan is simple, put a lot of young players out there, see who develops.
Rinse and repeat for two more years as you build up the talent level.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think their plan is simple, put a lot of young players out there, see who develops.
There is no plan. It is a day by day plan. Play it by ear approach.

He is a car salesman trying to cover his ass. Your smart enough to know this. To think a guy on his last coaching gig doesn't want to make the playoffs and is worried about the organization's future is comical.

if he makes it he looks like a great coach. if he doesn't well, he laid the groundwork. Smart strategy where he comes looking like wasn't his fault.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella said the rebuild would probably take longer than his contract his first year on the job.
He was just being realistic.

I think they're all on board with this, the 2025 draft is a great opportunity, but it's impact won't be felt probably until 2027-28.

Until then, I don't see many "make the playoff moves," TDL trades to garner assets are more likely unless they surprise.

Of course, you don't say we're not going to try to make the playoffs, last thing you want are players giving up on the season and focusing on padding stats for their next contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Once a 1st rd pick has failed with his first team, he's just a JAG.
I mean Patrick was #2, Morin #11, JOB #19, Rubtsov #24 . . .

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

That's completely fair. The Oilers started out 2-9-1 last season and went to the Cup finals. This year they're 2-4-0. Nashvile is 0-5. Colorado is 2-4.

The Flyers are not any of those teams, but 1-3-1 is certainly nothing to cause panic.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
That's completely fair. The Oilers started out 2-9-1 last season and went to the Cup finals. This year they're 2-4-0. Nashvile is 0-5. Colorado is 2-4.

The Flyers are not any of those teams, but 1-3-1 is certainly nothing to cause panic.
You can call it whatever you want. But panic is the last word i think about when we speak about the flyers start! Its more "gotcha" or "as we have predicted"!

Reactions: CerpinTaxt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad