GDT: #5 | Canucks at Flyers | Saturday, October 19, 2024 | 7:00 PM Normal Time | NBCSP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're trying, they're just a bit discombobulated right now.
This is what a rebuild looks like, a very young team that some nights plays like a very young team.

Torts isn't "disrespecting" Couts, he owes Couts, who is overpaid for his current production, nothing.
It's a matter of finding the right role that will maximize his value as he ages, and I think down the road LW is a better fit than center - but right now we lack centers.

Rebuilding teams play veterans while their prospects marinate:

Chicago: Athanasiou (30), Foligno (37), Smith (35), Hall (33), Terevainen (30), Maroon (36), Brodie (34), Murphy (31), Jones (30)

San Jose: Granlund (32), Toffoli (32), Goodrow (31), Wennberg (30), Rutta (34), Ceci (31), Benning (30)

Anaheim: Killorn (35), Strome (31), Vatrano (30), Johnston (30), McGinn (30), Gudas (34), Dumoulin (33), Fowler (33)

CBJ: JVR (35), Danforth (31), Monahan (30), Auston-Reese (30), J Johnson (38), Severson (30)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Didn't watch the game, but from what I am reading Tippet has been making shots all over the place and it is hurting Michkov as they are on the same line - is it true?

I am sure most had murderous thoughts when Tippett shot wide on the 2 on 1 instead of the easy pass to michkov. They should not be together, let alone with fkn Poehling as their center

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
This is what a rebuild looks like, a very young team that some nights plays like a very young team.

Torts isn't "disrespecting" Couts, he owes Couts, who is overpaid for his current production, nothing.
It's a matter of finding the right role that will maximize his value as he ages, and I think down the road LW is a better fit than center - but right now we lack centers.

Chicago: Athanasiou (30), Foligno (37), Smith (35), Hall (33), Terevainen (30), Maroon (36), Brodie (34), Murphy (31), Jones (30)

San Jose: Granlund (32), Toffoli (32), Goodrow (31), Wennberg (30), Rutta (34), Ceci (31), Benning (30)

Anaheim: Killorn (35), Strome (31), Vatrano (30), Johnston (30), McGinn (30), Gudas (34), Dumoulin (33), Fowler (33)

CBJ: JVR (35), Danforth (31), Monahan (30), Auston-Reese (30), J Johnson (38), Severson (30)
They've looked this bad since 2012 and giving out the same contracts, this is not a true rebuild, this is incompetence

Reactions: Embiid

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Maybe Jones, Hilferty, and Briere will go down to the locker room - and yell at that guys.

Respecting the logo, and all.

Only a matter of time.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Meh, teams go through these stretches every year.
The first ten minutes, it was obvious travel took its toll, they were dead.
After that, typical game with up and down stretches.

They missed a lot of scoring chances, 3 posts, bunch of shots that went just wide or over the cross bar. On a good night, they score 3-4 goals. May be pressing a bit right now, but it just takes one game where the goals go in to get players to stop clutching their sticks too hard.

They miss Seeler, Drysdale showed why they like him, really elusive skater, still learning how to play and desperately needs a reliable defensive partner.

Zamula was better, but I think he's just a placeholder until they find some real LHDs. Nothing wrong with his game when he's focused, but nothing special in any dimension, he's not fast, nor highly skilled or physical.

Sanheim and York were fine, Sanheim is trying too hard, but he's healthy, he can still go end to end, he just has to understand that he's not so skilled he shouldn't be looking to give up the puck once in the O-zone.

Farabee just seems off, it's mental, I don't see anything wrong physically.

Laughton is actually playing well, but he's not really a center.

Couts was tried at LW, and I think that's his future once they get some real centers. The game has gotten faster, and his lack of speed won't be as glaring at LW. He'll have to play center this year, but in a couple seasons he'll move to LW permanently.

Tippett is what he is, like TK, he goes through streaks of futility, followed by streaks of goals. It's like Schwarber in baseball, live with the strikeouts b/c the HRs will come. Think he's already hit 3 posts this season.

Michkov is struggling, he's 19, adjusting to the NHL game where the windows are smaller and the players faster than the KHL (which is really not much above the AHL these days). This was to be expected, he'll probably have a great second half of the season as he acclimates.

Brink is playing better after a slow start, he'll always be limited by his size and average speed, but as long as he's not a defensive liability his offensive skills will carry him.

Frost almost made some plays, which is the problem, he's almost a top center, but somehow not quite there. Third season in a major role and he is what he is, a 2C on an average team, a 3C on a top team. Good player in the sled pack, but he'll never be a lead dog.

Luchanko is holding his own, but no more. I think he gets a few more games, but unless he raises his game a notch or two, back to the CHL.

Ersson was fine, only goal he might have had a chance on was Sherwood off the face off.
You sound like Jackson and Boucher with the travel lame ass BS excuse.

Still pumping the legend of one Nick Seeler. How often did JD play with im last season?

So do you think Andrae is real LD or more a suspect at this point?

Tippet was a clear overpay. Who was Danny bidding against? He did nothing to earn that contract.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

I have no issue how he is playing him.

They can try all they want. They just flat out are not good enough. Sooner the 3 stooges realize this the better. Now they will never realize this of course.

This is a Flyers rebuild. Not a real rebuild. You can have vets. Don't need vets on long term deals tha do not the timeline. Though that changes daily with the Flyers. That is what happens when you have no clear real plan and wing it.

If the Flyers miss someone like Seeler then they have deep issues.
No shit. Amazes me how one poster just 100% completely overrates him. It is beyond comical.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You sound like Jackson and Boucher with the travel lame ass BS excuse.

Still pumping the legend of one Nick Seeler. How often did JD play with im last season?

So do you think Andrae is real LD or more a suspect at this point?

Tippet was a clear overpay. Who was Danny bidding against? He did nothing to earn that contract.
Canucks flew further than Flyers did and also on an east coast trip and pumped them lol.

He also talks chemistry , we have the same f***ing team , chemistry should be the last excuse.

This coach is a damn buffoon and most the players appear to be regressing. Tippy with MM is beyond moronic and the only thing that is more moronic is printing Poheling to play with him.

This coach is a Dino clown that can’t adapt.

It's a problem when Seeler is the 4th best defenseman cause he's a 7th D at best (maybe 6th D)
But he’s not the 4th, he’s the 3rd best D man.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Canucks flew further than Flyers did and also on an east coast trip and pumped them lol.

He also talks chemistry , we have the same f***ing team , chemistry should be the last excuse.

This coach is a damn buffoon and most the players appear to be regressing. Tippy with MM is beyond moronic and the only thing that is more moronic is printing Poheling to play with him.

This coach is a Dino clown that can’t adapt.

But he’s not the 4th, he’s the 3rd best D man.
Seeler is a top 6 Dman on any NHL team. Solid bottom pair guy. Never had an issue with him at all and good that he turned his career around. Just when dead starts hyping him up as a stud is where I crack up.

Yeah, the chemistry excuse is an odd one.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I like Tippett a lot more than most here, but he needs to play with less creative players. He isn’t elevated by players who play with a lot of complexity, and he doesn’t elevate them either. Just a waste of resources to put him with Michkov and Frost.

Farabee-Frost-Michkov
Tippett-Couturier-Konecny
Foerster-Luchanko-Brink

Farabee is a much better stylistic match for 48 and 39. Tippett and Konecny are high chaos players, and I like having them together.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Since the fans were walking out with ten minutes left in the game and booing as well, the death march has begun. This has become an unwatchable product. People aren't going to come, pay good money and waste their time to watch this crap.
There are some talented players on this roster. If Tortorella can't find a way to put them together to be a respectable team, get someone else in here who can. Right now under his coaching they are playing like trash.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There are fifteen first round draft choices, sixteen if you count Johansen, on this roster. Most of them are from the first half of that round. No one can claim that there isn't talent enough here to be able to play respectable five on five hockey through most of a game. Sure some are older and some have had injuries but that's true of all teams. There is skill here and it's not just with MM.
A good coach takes the talent that they have at hand and finds systems of play that allow it to be somewhat competitive on the field, floor , rink, whatever. I haven't seen that from the Flyers for the club's last thirty or so games spanning two seasons. It's time to call it what it is. The play falls on the coach not the players. Time for a change.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
There are fifteen first round draft choices, sixteen if you count Johansen, on this roster. Most of them are from the first half of that round. No one can claim that there isn't talent enough here to be able to play respectable five on five hockey through most of a game. Sure some are older and some have had injuries but that's true of all teams. There is skill here and it's not just with MM.
A good coach takes the talent that they have at hand and finds systems of play that allow it to be somewhat competitive on the field, floor , rink, whatever. I haven't seen that from the Flyers for the club's last thirty or so games spanning two seasons. It's time to call it what it is. The play falls on the coach not the players. Time for a change.

By the time organizations rush or overcook, or form a player into the mold they need for a particular reason that can ruin a players development and may teach out the instincts that made them a first round player. Also politics, nationalities, who you know and how you interview matters into if you are a first rounder or not.

just because your a first rounder when you are drafted does not mean you are gonna be a super talented player for every teams particular system. I see what your saying, but Torts is going ton build the system out of what he thinks works and if a player doesnt fit that system they will be filtered out

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I like Tippett a lot more than most here, but he needs to play with less creative players. He isn’t elevated by players who play with a lot of complexity, and he doesn’t elevate them either. Just a waste of resources to put him with Michkov and Frost.

Farabee-Frost-Michkov
Tippett-Couturier-Konecny
Foerster-Luchanko-Brink

Farabee is a much better stylistic match for 48 and 39. Tippett and Konecny are high chaos players, and I like having them together.
Would agree with Tippett. He's a player that generates on his own, Torts keeps saying that, so why put him with players who generate offense collectively?

It's a walking contradiction. Let him be with players who are struggling to generate chances; he'll drive the line. For others that can already generate chances, he pulls them down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad