Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Well, I do like his profile, kid is an ass kicker. We could use that. Never a bad idea to go with a Badger too.

Would have preferred one of the many forwards here however.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
What the literal f*** are they doing? Were they accidentally looking at the 2nd page of prospects they wanted on their printout?

IMG_0045.jpeg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This kid looks like our replacement for the all important Robert Hagg.

Big and physical d-men are great but to ever build any meaningful NHL career you need some level of puck skills, period. Generally, minimal point production in U17/U18 hockey isn't a great sign of that.

With that being said, I've never seen him play and hope that he has some hidden skill.

I have. He's a longshot. Not the 2nd coming of Brock Faber. Biakabatuka(sp) looks like Pavel Datsyuk in comparison to Cleveland.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Laughed after reading this.

- Every team wants to find the next Cale Makar – a fast, puck-moving defenceman who can control the play and create offensive chances every time they’re on the ice, regardless of size.
- Brady Cleveland is not the next Makar. Measuring nearly 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds at the NHL Draft Combine, he is a lumbering behemoth on the National Team Development Program’s (NTDP) blue line.
- But if the Vegas Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup win taught us anything, it’s that there’s still a place for big, bruising defensemen who can wear down the opposition, and in the 2023 NHL Draft class, there isn’t a player that can do that better than Cleveland.
- Known for being a punishing hitter, he’s one of the toughest players at the United States Hockey League (USHL) level. This season, he led the NTDP with 106 penalty minutes, 30 of which came in a single game after he removed his helmet in a fight.
- He doesn’t do anything halfway, so when he commits to a hit or a fight, he gives it his all.
- It’s made him one of the most feared players on the National Team, even though he is usually the seventh defenceman on the roster.

This guy is a killer. Have to love it. :D

This is the old Red Wings. Gibson from same mold.
Sounds like McIlrath. Surprised NYR didn't take this kid in the 1st round.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
There’s no justification I can be told to like this pick. He would’ve been available in the 5th round. If he was gone by then, boohoo, you lost a future 7th defenseman (at best) with literally no skill. If these prospects were 11 years old, I’d buy the measurables and upside argument, but at 18 you either have an ounce or puck skill or you don’t.

Does Stevie actually have a say in rounds 2-7 or does he just pass the baton to Draper? He needs to go.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
3rd pairing dman that leads your pk. Skates extremely well and plays with violence. Big one here is the skating at 6’5” 210 with a long runway in college at Wisconsin. Certainly would have picked other players but his has NHL projectable qualities.

I see a bunch of this group didn’t learn from the hot take Bertuzzi thread. Also feels like we have been criticizing not using our back yard USMNTDP more.
Every scouting report I have read on this kid sounds like Dylan McIlrath to me :dunno:

Reactions: Gniwder and David D

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Certainly the most curious pick by Detroit today. Arguably the biggest bruiser-type defenseman in the draft, so he gets real high marks for that one thing. Seems like he's going to need a lot of things to break right for him to make it, but the payoff could be exciting. I like the idea of once again being a tough team to play against.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Pronman on Cernak:

Pronman on Cleveland:
"Cleveland is the type of big, hyper-physical, “mean as hell” type of defenseman that NHL teams covet. He skates quite well for a big man too. He would be a highly-rated prospect if he had any offence, but he has very little puck game. He struggles to consistently execute outlet passes or provide any type of secondary offence. I get the temptation to compare him to former U.S. NTDP defenseman Kleven. They are similar in some regards, and Kleven currently looks like a very good pro prospect, but I think Cleveland has less puck game than Kleven and it’s why his coaches limited his ice time in games this season. He’s a unique and highly coveted player type if he hits, but the path to him getting there is a bit of a longshot.”

Certainly the most curious pick by Detroit today. Arguably the biggest bruiser-type defenseman in the draft, so he gets real high marks for that one thing. Seems like he's going to need a lot of things to break right for him to make it, but the payoff could be exciting. I like the idea of once again being a tough team to play against.
If that is what you want, I can understand that within reasonable limits. I don't, however, think the 2nd round is where you should be shopping for that.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
We took a guy who just bashes heads in at 47. We could’ve had koehn ziemmer, Jayden Perron, guys like that that actually could be legit NHLers. This guy scored 5 points in a junior league. What does the LCA need new guys for security? Are Draper and yzerman trolling the fans? Awful pick. If you wanted him you could always have used the 5th you acquired.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like these kind of selections because everyone is pissed off about it and it usually comes back to haunt them in 5 years. Much like the Tyler Bertuzzi uproar. Turns out, after Bert proved to be a real hockey player, everyone was like, "Yeah, I knew he was a stud all along!".

People want the Tomas Jurco's and Teemu Pulkkinen's of the draft. Because flash = projection.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If he's a mean physical force but only puts up half of Radko Gudas goal production, does that make this a terrible pick since Gudas went like 66th overall?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If that is what you want, I can understand that within reasonable limits. I don't, however, think the 2nd round is where you should be shopping for that.
Perfectly fair. As much as a certain pick might make me raise an eyebrow, I still am willing to wait before I judge it anymore than, "that's a surprising/curious pick that I like less than the others." But I get it.

My favorite pick of the draft just based on this clip

Lol, regardless of how good or bad of a pick this is, how good or bad it turns out, I love that clip just from a hockey perspective. 1 blocked shot and 3 hits in under 10 seconds. Filling up that stat sheet!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad