Post-Game Talk: #43: Flyers at Red Wings, Sunday, January 17, 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Hack deserves a lot of credit for that. They finally look like a coached team.

You know what I love, that was absent under Berube? Stretch passes. I can remember precisely two passes from our zone to the blue line last year. One was Streit, the other was Luke for a breakaway goal. It became really apparently last year that Berube for whatever reason decided the transition needed to be extremely methodical and totally free of risk. Hence why our entire breakout plan hinged on Giroux, Couturier, or Voracek skating it the length of the ice.

A year without that really makes me savor every long pass from our zone made by any player, and there were a few great ones tonight.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Umberger needs to be sitting in the press box at this point...every game it's more and more evident that he contributes nothing. What's worse is that he's not even doing the little things correctly either. Let's get Weal in there to see what he's got

White's gonna get suspended so we'll get to see Weal finally.

The PP really needs to get sorted out soon.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I do too, unfortunately all you'll hear people say lately is that he's an absolute idiot for not playing Weal.

Don't see many at all criticize the system or style they are playing at all. If you think the team wouldn't be even better without 1 of RJ, VV, or White, you are probably gonna have people disagree with you.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You didn't listen to the broadcast it sounds like then.

Jones said explicitly that the league talked about that type of situation with the glove in the off-season and decided that it was not goalie interference because the glove is in the white paint. That is the exact reasoning they stated.

The rulebook explicitly states that the goaltender being in or out of the crease isn't a determining factor with regard to goaltender interference.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
White's gonna get suspended so we'll get to see Weal finally.

The PP really needs to get sorted out soon.

It's more about Umberger sitting than Weal playing for me (although I do want to see what Weal's got). Watching Umberger on a nightly basis is really wearing me down lol

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
It was a Mrazek love fest on the broadcast, but Neuvy played phenomenal. Well deserved win by the Flyers.

The broadcast did give Neuvy some kudos towards the end, but he kept us in it.

The refs were terrible per usual, but it's nice to get a shootout win, even though we all hate it.

Yes it was. Mrazek is so great...Mrazek is so athletic...Mrazek is so fast, It was sickening!!! Oh and **** Mike Milbury!!!

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I do too, unfortunately all you'll hear people say lately is that he's an absolute idiot for not playing Weal.

Its silly. I cannot stand VDV and Umberger, etc but Hak is playing with who he has and is doing a solid job. This team is lightyears better 5 on 5 in years. Special teams has taken a dive but the same coaches are here. It has to be a player thing. Just going through the funk. I like Lappy and all but the team should go another way for the penalty kill than him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Incorrect.

Outside of and inside of, as well as deliberate vs incidental contact all decide the call.

The ruling(s) weren't incidental contact. It was goaltender inference.

If the power play operates and moves like it did in the 3rd period, it will be fine.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The PP has been bad, but looked fine tonight. Two pucks ended up in the back of the net on PPs and one should've counted. Mrazek saved several others that go in the majority of the time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree but unfortunately there are worse players in our lineup than him which is sad & speaks volumes of the other players actually contributing towards this team's success right now.

White is better overall than VdV and Umberger, but he's bad at killing penalties so losing him has advantages, namely the younger, faster Laughton taking his spot on the PK.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's more about Umberger sitting than Weal playing for me (although I do want to see what Weal's got). Watching Umberger on a nightly basis is really wearing me down lol

Apparently, since he had a solid game tonight while other forwards were getting caved in and you're still whining about him.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
The rulebook explicitly states that the goaltender being in or out of the crease isn't a determining factor with regard to goaltender interference.

Did they change the verbage since last yr?

69.4 States contact outside of the crease outside of incidental and a goal is scored, the goal should be disallowed.

To me that says if the goalie is outside his crease and he is not intentionally bumped then the goal is good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I actually really enjoyed the broadcast tonight. Pierre wasn't as annoying tonight plus I do like Miller and Ferraro

I'm hoping when Doc Emrick retires, that NBC brings in Gord and Ray full time and makes them the #1 group. I don't know if they do every Sunday night game on NBCSN, but they should.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Apparently, since he had a solid game tonight while other forwards were getting caved in and you're still whining about him.

Oh right, because he's been so good all season that his 9 "solid" minutes of ice time tonight should make us forget about the other 40+ games he's been horrendous

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did they change the verbage since last yr?

69.4 States contact outside of the crease outside of incidental and a goal is scored, the goal should be disallowed.

To me that says if the goalie is outside his crease and he is not intentionally bumped then the goal is good.

But that's incidental contract. Not goaltender interference. The two plays in dispute were with regard to goaltender interference. I don't think incidental contract is reviewable under that coach's challenge rule, but I could be wrong.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After this game it should be pretty clear that Bellemare and VandeVelde should never get more PK time than Couturier and Read. The PK looks so much better without Bellemare and VandeVelde on the ice. It should be a combination of Couturier, Read, Raffl, Giroux, with Bellemare and VandeVelde getting the clean up time. The two shouldn't be out on the ice together shorthanded when there are at least four better PK forwards on the team.

Couturier-Read & Giroux-Laughton should be the main PKing pairs upfront. It won't happen though because Lappy lets his bias based off his playing days get into the way of doing what's best for him & the team with the fourth line pet projects. He's hasn't been dealt a great hand in options to pick from especially on the backend but he makes things much harder than they need to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad