HF Habs: 3rd Annual Speed Mock Draft 2023 edition (Round 5 - COMPLETED)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Of all the top draft prospects that I have seen, only Fantilli is a more dynamic player. Leonard is 6' and 195 lbs at 18 years of age, who projects to play at more than 200 lbs when he matures. He is extremely strong on his skates, has explosive acceleration, drives to the net with abandon and has one of the best wrist/snap shots in his draft class. And this kid comes with no drama. As I said, I'm only hoping he's available at 5 OA.

I like him alot as well and agree with your summation of his strengths although I would strongly disagree with only Fantilli being more dynamic. If you really want him at 5 OA you can rest assured that he will very likely be there as I doubt many if any teams have him in the top 4.

I have him between 7-9 on my list depending on which day you talk to me lol. This is such a top heavy draft that is loaded with skilled players it is hard to say anyone is definitively wrong or right outside of the top 4 or 5 players. This will be a fun draft to watch for sure.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
The Washington Capitals would like to thank @MarkovsKnee and HFboards Habs for being the wonderful hosts to us in this draft. We would also like to congratulate the Las Vegas Golden Knights for stealing cheating having the league's help totally legitimately winning the Stanley Cup this year.

With the 8th overall selection, the Washington Capitals draft Matthew Wood, a wildly talented winger with size, a cannon of a shot, creativity, and hockey sense for days. Once we work on his skating a little bit, he will be an absolute force in this league.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I like him alot as well and agree with your summation of his strengths although I would strongly disagree with only Fantilli being more dynamic. If you really want him at 5 OA you can rest assured that he will very likely be there as I doubt many if any teams have him in the top 4.

I have him between 7-9 on my list depending on which day you talk to me lol. This is such a top heavy draft that is loaded with skilled players it is hard to say anyone is definitively wrong or right outside of the top 4 or 5 players. This will be a fun draft to watch for sure.
You never know. I think the only players who will without a doubt go in the top 5 are Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson. Some teams may be afraid of Smith's flaws and of course there is the Michkov uncertainty.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I love Leonard's game but I do find it a little concerning when every comparable other than Konecny that people bring up is bigger than Leonard. Admittedly when looking at his skating, shooting, hands, competitiveness it is hard to find a weakness. I think he will be a great piece for any team to add but I still like the consensus 5 better as well as Dvorsky. I take Leonard over Benson although it would be difficult to choose between Leonard and Wood for me but it is hard to imagine an NHL GM would stick his neck out that far for Wood.

I am still pissed that the Leafs and Bruins allowed Florida to advance and crap on the 17th overall that seemed like a done deal for us.
Wood at 5 OA? A player with acknowledged skating limitations? After decades of drafting players with skating concerns ( Bilodeau, Chouinard, Pederson, Brown, Vallis, Ryan, Stevenson, etc.) I would hope the new management team is a bit more on the ball. I think its time to allow other teams draft players with the hope that they acquire/develop NHL skating ability. How much better to start with a player who already has that all important skill.

You never know. I think the only players who will without a doubt go in the top 5 are Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson. Some teams may be afraid of Smith's flaws and of course there is the Michkov uncertainty.
Exactly. The reason that I hope Leonard ‘ falls’ to us at 5OA and avoid those flaws and uncertainties.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Agreed, I was not so much referring to the geopolitical stuff or an outlier club making an unexpected selection, just purely as prospects there is a consensus top 5 and if any of them fall out of the top 5 it will be considered a drop whereas any other prospect picked at 6 or 7 will not be widely considered to have dropped. Smith is easily the most questionable of the group as nobody is really sure how good any of Smith, Leonard and Perreault are outside of playing with each other on a stacked line often against lesser teams. Nobody i going to say that Smith bumped Leonard out of the top 5 but if Leonard goes 5 and Smith goes 6 then the narrative will most certainly be that Leonard bumped Smith out of the top 5 (this is all contingent on Michkov also going in the top 5 of course).

Really surprised he lasted this long.

I like him as the 5th or 6th best prospect in the draft.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Wood at 5 OA? A player with acknowledged skating limitations? After decades of drafting players with skating concerns ( Bilodeau, Chouinard, Pederson, Brown, Vallis, Ryan, Stevenson, etc.) I would hope the new management team is a bit more on the ball. I think its time to allow other teams draft players with the hope that they acquire/develop NHL skating ability. How much better to start with a player who already has that all important skill.

I think you just read my post a little out of context. I said that after the consensus top 5 I had Dvorsky at 6, the Wood conversation may start as early as 7 OA but like I said it would take a GM with big balls. Wood is not comparable to any of the players that you listed as most had IQ and or skill limitations. Wood is an entirely different animal than any of them which is why he lead UConn in scoring as a 17 year old freshman. Chouinard was soft as duck down and both him and Pederson had no work ethic. Ryan just never was a high skill player and entirely leached off of Daymond Langkow in his draft year.

Wood obviously has serious skating issues but his mind is elite and even if he can get to Mark Stone, Ryan O'Reilly level skating he will be a stud. So yes, there is some clear risk but the payoff is also huge which will be very enticing when the first 6 or 7 are off the board. I expect him to go closer to 10 but he might surprise.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
The Nashville Preds are proud to select from Moose Jaw Warriors, center Brayden Yager…

@StCaufield
Crazy how this guy was seen as a clear top-10, even top-5 a year or so ago. He's still a great prospect and excellent value at that spot.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think you just read my post a little out of context. I said that after the consensus top 5 I had Dvorsky at 6, the Wood conversation may start as early as 7 OA but like I said it would take a GM with big balls. Wood is not comparable to any of the players that you listed as most had IQ and or skill limitations. Wood is an entirely different animal than any of them which is why he lead UConn in scoring as a 17 year old freshman. Chouinard was soft as duck down and both him and Pederson had no work ethic. Ryan just never was a high skill player and entirely leached off of Daymond Langkow in his draft year.

Wood obviously has serious skating issues but his mind is elite and even if he can get to Mark Stone, Ryan O'Reilly level skating he will be a stud. So yes, there is some clear risk but the payoff is also huge which will be very enticing when the first 6 or 7 are off the board. I expect him to go closer to 10 but he might surprise.
10 OA range, possibly yes, but if we take him at 5 OA I would severely question our management team’s acumen.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
10 OA range, possibly yes, but if we take him at 5 OA I would severely question our management team’s acumen.

Yeah, like I said I never advocated for that but I could understand the logic. I would take him if the choice was between him and Benson and there are advocates on this board for taking.

I think we agree that Wood is just too risky at 5 OA but when we still had FLA's pick at 17 I was dreaming up scenarios to get Wood.....errrr you know what I mean lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad