HF Habs: 3rd Annual Speed Mock Draft 2023 edition (Round 5 - COMPLETED)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Montreal Canadiens are ecstatic to select from Orebro of the SweHL, center Leo Carlsson!!!!

We would have taken him at #2 so we are shocked but elated to be able to take Leo at the #5 spot.

@Doublechin you're up!

Montreal

5. Leo Carlsson (C) - Orebro HK (SweHL)

God, I hope it goes this way! I expect not though.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Benson makes no sense for Columbus. They have Gaudreau and Kent Johnson who are skilled, small (or at least frail for KJ) players they need to surround with bigger skilled players. Carlsson is perfect for them. Benson may be a really good players but he would make their future top 6 too small for too many years to come.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Benson makes no sense for Columbus. They have Gaudreau and Kent Johnson who are skilled, small (or at least frail for KJ) players they need to surround with bigger skilled players. Carlsson is perfect for them. Benson may be a really good players but he would make their future top 6 too small for too many years to come.
He's a huge Benson fan so let's let him have his fun. Nobody's getting paid and there's no owner, media, and fans to report to or roster construction going on.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Steve Yzerman, usually known as such a polite and humble man, begins shoving old women and children on his way to the podium to announce:
"With the 9th pick in the 2023 Draft, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select out of Kloten of the Swiss League, defenseman David Reinbacher."

St. Louis is up next @ryan callahan PM'ed

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Coyotes select Ryan Leonard

Team is shocked that Smith is there but my personal preference has Leonard slightly edging Smith and with the Yotes having guys like Keller and eventually Cooley in the top6 adding Leonard type makes sense

@Duff88 has been pm'd

Think Leonard is perfect fit for Arizona. He & Cooley are going to have some fun together.

With the 7th pick, the Flyers are pleased and surprised to select forward Will Smith from the USNDP.

Washington is on the clock and @Twisted Sinister has been PMed.

Smith is exactly what Flyers need. They're desperate for actual skilled players.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Coyotes select Ryan Leonard

Team is shocked that Smith is there but my personal preference has Leonard slightly edging Smith and with the Yotes having guys like Keller and eventually Cooley in the top6 adding Leonard type makes sense

@Duff88 has been pm'd
I think there is a possibility that Leonard turns out to be the third best player taken in this draft. He has high impact NHL potential written all over him.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
We draft Leonard and our draft will be a success. With his combination of size, speed, strength and shot Leonard will be a perennial 40 + goal scorer in the NHL . Just as important, he brings a level of physicality and competitiveness that wins you games. With all this talk about Montreal selling the farm to move up to be in a position to draft one of the 'usual suspects', I hope enough of the teams drafting ahead of us are so mesmerized by the prevailing consensus that Leonard 'falls' to us at 5 OA.

That's how I see it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We draft Leonard and our draft will be a success. With his combination of size, speed, strength and shot Leonard will be a perennial 40 + goal scorer in the NHL . Just as important, he brings a level of physicality and competitiveness that wins you games. With all this talk about Montreal selling the farm to move up to be in a position to draft one of the 'usual suspects', I hope enough of the teams drafting ahead of us are so memorized by the prevailing consensus that Leonard 'falls' to us at 5 OA.

That's how I see it.

It's how I see it. Kid has a really heavy shot. Its Pacioretty like, but he doesn't settle for the outside play. He plays a tough inside game & has better skill than people think.

Ultimately, he'll be a Evander Kane type player, but without the fights & the serious off-ice issues that have affected Kane's career. Think Leonard will definitely be a 30g, 30a player at minimum with potential of ppg with continued development (40g, 40a).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's how I see it. Kid has a really heavy shot. Its Pacioretty like, but he doesn't settle for the outside play. He plays a tough inside game & has better skill than people think.

Ultimately, he'll be a Evander Kane type player, but without the fights & the serious off-ice issues that have affected Kane's career. Think Leonard will definitely be a 30g, 30a player at minimum with potential of ppg with continued development (40g, 40a).

I love Leonard's game but I do find it a little concerning when every comparable other than Konecny that people bring up is bigger than Leonard. Admittedly when looking at his skating, shooting, hands, competitiveness it is hard to find a weakness. I think he will be a great piece for any team to add but I still like the consensus 5 better as well as Dvorsky. I take Leonard over Benson although it would be difficult to choose between Leonard and Wood for me but it is hard to imagine an NHL GM would stick his neck out that far for Wood.

I am still pissed that the Leafs and Bruins allowed Florida to advance and crap on the 17th overall that seemed like a done deal for us.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We draft Leonard and our draft will be a success. With his combination of size, speed, strength and shot Leonard will be a perennial 40 + goal scorer in the NHL . Just as important, he brings a level of physicality and competitiveness that wins you games. With all this talk about Montreal selling the farm to move up to be in a position to draft one of the 'usual suspects', I hope enough of the teams drafting ahead of us are so mesmerized by the prevailing consensus that Leonard 'falls' to us at 5 OA.

That's how I see it.

I would not list size as an attribute for a sub 6'0", sub 200lb player who relies on winning puck battles to be effective. I understand that he is a strong kid and will pack on some more weight but he is definitely undersized relative to his role.

Really good prospect and I won't be pissed if we take him but seems a little safe at 5OA with more skilled players certain to be available at that slot. I also would definitely pump the brakes on the perennial 40 goal scorer talk as I think 25-35 goals is a more likely range for him with the possibility of breaking 40 in a career year.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I would not list size as an attribute for a sub 6'0", sub 200lb player who relies on winning puck battles to be effective. I understand that he is a strong kid and will pack on some more weight but he is definitely undersized relative to his role.

Really good prospect and I won't be pissed if we take him but seems a little safe at 5OA with more skilled players certain to be available at that slot. I also would definitely pump the brakes on the perennial 40 goal scorer talk as I think 25-35 goals is a more likely range for him with the possibility of breaking 40 in a career year.
Of all the top draft prospects that I have seen, only Fantilli is a more dynamic player. Leonard is 6' and 195 lbs at 18 years of age, who projects to play at more than 200 lbs when he matures. He is extremely strong on his skates, has explosive acceleration, drives to the net with abandon and has one of the best wrist/snap shots in his draft class. And this kid comes with no drama. As I said, I'm only hoping he's available at 5 OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad