Post-Game Talk: #31| Buffalo Sabres @ New York Islanders | December 14th | 1:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Dobson got 16 minutes today, the most ice time in quite some time. Generally played well and nice to see. His ability to hold his own playing LD is a big plus for him. Should be a much bigger PP threat as he gains more confidence. Surprised he got a shift in OT. Baby steps.
PWJ while I agree baby steps -------> his shift in OT was bad as he came in alone 1 on 2 and literally gave up the puck at their blue line and the Sabres came back at us with a very good scoring chance

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
PWJ while I agree baby steps -------> his shift in OT was bad as he came in alone 1 on 2 and literally gave up the puck at their blue line and the Sabres came back at us with a very good scoring chance

Didn't say it was a pretty shift, you are right that it was ugly. I was just surprised he even got an OT shift. He's only going to learn by playing. He clearly has the skating chops and intelligence to be a future factor in the extra frame.

Reactions: CBG

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Wennberg could probably be had from Columbus is Lamoriello wanted to take a risk on him. Jenner is someone else I'd love to get, as I've mentioned many times before, but I can't imagine Columbus is in a rush to move him at this point.

Jenner could help but I don't think he gets us the Cup or moves the needle as much, he is more like a Wayne Merrick type of pickup LOL... Wennberg maybe he fits Trotz well. Is there any universe where J Toews gets dealt?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jenner could help but I don't think he gets us the Cup or moves the needle as much, he is more like a Wayne Merrick type of pickup LOL... Wennberg maybe he fits Trotz well. Is there any universe where J Toews gets dealt?

No way Toews gets dealt unless he wants to. Three more years with a $10.5M AAV and a full NMC. He'll have to be protected during the expansion draft by the Blackhawks too.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Barzal went after Dahlin late in the 3rd and gave them a PP where they tied it 6 on 4. Beauvillier bailed him out in OT, but Trotz was not happy. Said he made it personal and not team first. We won't be seeing that again.

A lot more to the story, but that's the skinny. Buffalo fans are whining like crazy about Barzal being the anti-Christ over it. Apparently he was trying to bash his head in. You can read their garbage on the main board.
Thanks. I’m still missing why he’d do it. I guess he got tired of bs at bad time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks. I’m still missing why he’d do it. I guess he got tired of bs at bad time.

Dahlin thought he was Kylo Ren on Star Wars Night. Barzal had enough of the dirty stick work and lost his shit. Trotz addressed it and it won't happen again, Barzal knows he f***ed up. He was even happier than Beau when the GWG was scored.

Barzal owes the team a steak dinner.

Last edited:

Palfmeister

Oct 2, 2011
dude, he's third on the team in points and has had to play up and down the lineup. You can argue the intangibles but to call him a waste of a roster spot.. you need to give it a rest. we have the 2nd best record in the league. this is our longest tenured player who has been a classy player and a team player , he stepped of for ross today, not the first time he has done that for a teammate. it was funny for awhile but wearing thin..

really thin.......

needs to STF* already.

Sounds like a crazy person at this point.

This garbage is why I left here.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Another good game. They've strung together a series of high-effort games; that's all I ask for. When they play hard, within the system, they accrue points.

Terrible penalty by Barzal; play it safe at that point. The call was a bit chintzy, but again, play it safe.

I wanted Beau included in trade packages, not anymore. He's been the most consistent, reliable forward. He also has a real passion for the game, reminds me of a skilled Cizikas. To echo that sentiment, I've never seen Nelson dangle so much. They both have confidence.

Let's get a sniper, to offset when others don't score, and continue the charge into the playoffs. If not, a two-way 3C will be a secondary win.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
No way Toews gets dealt unless he wants to. Three more years with a $10.5M AAV and a full NMC. He'll have to be protected during the expansion draft by the Blackhawks too.
lol, dreaming of "the other Toews" coming over to NYI is as delusional as hoping we can get Crosby. Heck, even Panarin did'nt want to play for NYI. Sad but true. No way any elite UFA or NMC player wants to sign with Isles.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
Dobson got 16 minutes today, the most ice time in quite some time. Generally played well and nice to see. His ability to hold his own playing LD is a big plus for him. Should be a much bigger PP threat as he gains more confidence. Surprised he got a shift in OT. Baby steps.
I am so proud of our D-corps, first Mayfield and Pelech, then Pulock and Toews, now Dobson, all home grown and establishing into good to excellent players. Best defense in NHL, it's not all about goaltending...

Reactions: CBG

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal will only be subject to more abuse in years to come, and Dahlin is far from the worst. Luckily we have Trotz who will know how to handle it.

Barzy is going to be fine. He knows he messed up and I'm sure Trotz and the team reinforced it. Not a good feeling on the bench I'm sure he had and I bet he comes back on Tuesday ready to put his A game in.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
When the crowd makes a song asking when you are going to score.. it's not good.

Course...everyone makes it like its fun... it's just sad. Guy is a joke.
I can't tell anymore if you just embraced this whole JB stuff or if you truly believe what you've posted

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Didn't say it was a pretty shift, you are right that it was ugly. I was just surprised he even got an OT shift. He's only going to learn by playing. He clearly has the skating chops and intelligence to be a future factor in the extra frame.
PW as I was "very surprised " that he was out there in OT that said lets get this kid ice time and in the lineup as often as we can ( in regulation for now ) because again I agree he is a baby out there but he looks to have the goods

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
PW as I was "very surprised " that he was out there in OT that said lets get this kid ice time and in the lineup as often as we can ( in regulation for now ) because again I agree he is a baby out there but he looks to have the goods

Now that the whole 9-games thing is over and it is officially his rookie season, I'd like to see him get more NHL game action as well. His versatility to play LD makes him a good #7D for this team. I'd also like to see Noah rotate a little bit more with Boychuk to give the old man some breathers.

Reactions: FourRings

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Now that the whole 9-games thing is over and it is officially his rookie season, I'd like to see him get more NHL game action as well. His versatility to play LD makes him a good #7D for this team. I'd also like to see Noah rotate a little bit more with Boychuk to give the old man some breathers.
I expect Dobson will dress a little more than sporadically now. The fact that Trotz already trusted him enough to give him PP time and now trust him enough to give him a shift in OT is an indicator that the coach now feels confident enough in Dobson to use him in all situations. Trotz's comments on Dobson are always positive. He's just been bringing him along slowly.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I expect Dobson will dress a little more than sporadically now. The fact that Trotz already trusted him enough to give him PP time and now trust him enough to give him a shift in OT is an indicator that the coach now feels confident enough in Dobson to use him in all situations. Trotz's comments on Dobson are always positive. He's just been bringing him along slowly.

Absolutely, I can't think of any other coach that I'd want handling Dobson. It's a development year that should pay big dividends in the future. It's a bonus to Dobson that he is a part of a top defensive unit from top to bottom too.

When this kid is 22/23, he is going to be beastly. Hopefully he can pack on some more beef to his frame. He's got terrific mobility that should only improve. He needs to refine his hand skills, whether it's rust or not.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Agreed, we’re going to need Boychuk ready to roll in the postseason and Dobson could use all of the experience he can get.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Absolutely, I can't think of any other coach that I'd want handling Dobson. It's a development year that should pay big dividends in the future. It's a bonus to Dobson that he is a part of a top defensive unit from top to bottom too.

When this kid is 22/23, he is going to be beastly. Hopefully he can pack on some more beef to his frame. He's got terrific mobility that should only improve. He needs to refine his hand skills, whether it's rust or not.
This is also the reason, I believe, that we will never see Noah Dobson included in any trade for a big gun. Nor should he be.

And likely this is also the reason Lou hasn't been able to pull off a trade for a big gun. Because I'm sure every team is asking for Dobson back in return, and that's a non-starter.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What was the answer to the trivia question about the first American inducted into the HHOF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad