Value of: 2nd Pairing RHD to Edmonton

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I still want Artem Zub from Ottawa, but I don't know how the Oilers could pry him out of there.

Maybe Steve Staios isn't as big a fan of Zub as the previous GM was. But being a former defenseman himself, he probably is.

The Oilers have got to move Nurse.
The Sens aren't moving Zub unless its an overpayment

They are too weak on the Right Side to move him

and if we do I'd want atleast a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for him might be an overpayment but I see that as being what it would take.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

and if we do I'd want atleast a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for him might be an overpayment but I see that as being what it would take.
This might be a deadline move

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Larsson is most likely a deadline move, but possible. Depends on the offer. Not sure how the Oilers fit him under the cap though.

Oilers will likely address this need at the deadline as well.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Larsson is most likely a deadline move, but possible. Depends on the offer. Not sure how the Oilers fit him under the cap though.

Depending on how the Kraken do this year, I personally have him at the very top of the list. I'd imagine there's an open dialogue all season between Larsson and his buddies in Edmonton.

Easy swap would be Ceci's expiring deal and some futures heading Seattle's way.

He just sounds like the perfect fit both short and long term, assuming they'd like Broberg to play LD.

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I agree about two things - Faulk is the right player for what's being requested. Hungry, capable vet with some miles left ... but also he wouldn't waive for Canada.

Last year his form was off but it felt much more like some type of lingering injury as opposed to a capability issue. so if he rebounds and looks like the last couple seasons AND if he can talk himself into getting a good chance at a Cup then maybe he waives for Canada.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What are your upper bounds for "reasonable contract"?
Preferably $5 million or less unless it is basically a top pairing d-man and we can move Ceci out in such a trade then maybe at absolute max $6.5 million.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Preferably $5 million or less unless it is basically a top pairing d-man and we can move Ceci out in such a trade then maybe at absolute max $6.5 million..

$5 Million was my top number. Every dollar below that helps.

Jeff Jackson has been winning trades, so he is the guy I would want to negotiate a deal with Ottawa in this case.

Artem Zub is paid $4.6 AAV for three more years. Let's chew that over Oiler fans.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Jeff Jackson has been winning trades, so he is the guy I would want to negotiate a deal with Ottawa in this case.

Artem Zub is paid $4.6 AAV for three more years. Let's chew that over Oiler fans.
Ekholm Bouchard
Broberg Zub
Nurse Ceci . Lets chew on a 9.25 million dollar D playing 3rd pairing

We our still being screwed by Chia

Reactions: TFHockey

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

What would the cost of Larsson at 50% at the deadline? However, I do feel like he resigns with Seattle.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK

Now that's some hyperbole. You think a couple of decent moves for prospects means Jackson can convince Ottawa to give away Zub?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Seems like a situation that could work for both. If Larsson would agree to a sign and trade return to Edmonton I'd offer a package comparable to the Ekholm return no question.

As for the cap Ceci is an expiring contract and if in the deal as a cap dump like (Barrie was) in the Ekholm deal it's least workable I'd imagine.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like a situation that could work for both. If Larsson would agree to a sign and trade return to Edmonton I'd offer a package comparable to the Ekholm return no question.

As for the cap Ceci is an expiring contract and if in the deal as a cap dump like (Barrie was) in the Ekholm deal it's least workable I'd imagine.
Ekholm had 2.5 years when he was traded. Larsson for one playoffs run isn't worth 1st, Ceci and prospect

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ekholm Bouchard
Broberg Zub
Nurse Ceci . Lets chew on a 9.25 million dollar D playing 3rd pairing

We our still being screwed by Chia
Idk how you roll the lines for icetime but wasn't the point to get a new rhd was to get one that played well with nurse?

If we kept ceci which I don't mind put with bro and put zub with nurse

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You mean Ken Holland.

Nobody made him give Nurse that contract. We'd have been better off if he walked, in all honesty. 2nd pairing LD are a dime a dozen.
Dime a dozen? Then why have the Edmonton Oilers always been bad at acquiring them through any means?

The Oilers would have had to give that cap to a UFA, which more often than not results in a poor investment.

When we traded for Ekholm, it wasn't a deal being made out of desperation, because we still had Darnell playing respectable top four minutes. If the Oilers went into a season with Kulak as a potential top pairing guy, that team would've been a punching bag on the trade markets.

Reactions: capazzo

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dime a dozen? Then why have the Edmonton Oilers always been bad at acquiring them through any means?

The Oilers would have had to give that cap to a UFA, which more often than not results in a poor investment.

When we traded for Ekholm, it wasn't a deal being made out of desperation, because we still had Darnell playing respectable top four minutes. If the Oilers went into a season with Kulak as a potential top pairing guy, that team would've been a punching bag on the trade markets.
Ekholm is a top pairing defenceman, don’t get it twisted.

Someone competent should have been able to find a 2nd pairing LD with ease. Hell even Chiarelli managed that much.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Sens wouldnt even do that lol. Trading 11th + two 2nds for Chychrun, Chychrun for Jensen + 3rd, and then Zub for ~22nd, 55th, and a prospect would be one of the worst exercises in team building ever know

We would probably take Ceci for JBD or Hamo+mid pick, assuming Edmonton gets an RD elsewhere.

Theres no deal to be made to get Zub to Edmonton, though.

Reactions: Altimus

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ekholm is a top pairing defenceman, don’t get it twisted.

Someone competent should have been able to find a 2nd pairing LD with ease. Hell even Chiarelli managed that much.
Not getting anything twisted. But we were a team in a playoff position with an already acting top pair defenseman in Nurse. We weren't a team bent over a barrel, desperately needing Ekholm. We were the team willing to get them out of that investment to an older player, which is why we were able to get him for the favorable price. If he wasn't available, there were other directions we could've gone.

Look at the options available the summer of Nurse's extension. Then take into account that we're the Edmonton Oilers and not the Vegas Golden Knights or the Florida Panthers. It didn't look good when WE treat our core players like disposable assets.

Even the Sekera signing had a downside that crippled this team for several seasons because he was an already aging veteran player who was signed several years ahead of the team's competitive window.

Darnell Nurse's extension was a 'necessary evil'. He was a player that fit the team's age group. He filled an immediate positional need. And he logged some important minutes in years where the team progressed.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
You mean Ken Holland.

Nobody made him give Nurse that contract. We'd have been better off if he walked, in all honesty. 2nd pairing LD are a dime a dozen.
The crime was Chiarelli tying up so much cap space in the likes of Lucic that Nurse got bridged twice to the brink of UFA. At the time Nurse was a poor man’s 1st pairing and McDavids Bestie. Plus losing him for nothing to free agency would’ve been terrible asset management.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ekholm had 2.5 years when he was traded. Larsson for one playoffs run isn't worth 1st, Ceci and prospect

In my premise of the trade it's based around Larsson extending also. I wouldn't do a 1st + prospect on level with the Ekholm package for purely a rental.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Everyone is forgetting that Larsson didn't want to come back to Edmonton because of what happened to his dad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad