Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Broberg would have been stupid not to sign that deal. Holloway I just…it’s clear he made his choice with wide open eyes.

I think he thought his dollar value would be low enough that the Oilers would match.

He must have been choked after the Podkolzin deal and then realizing the Oilers passed on him even though they cleared cap space.

If someone wants to remain with a team they don’t sign a poison pill offer sheet to help facilitate another teammate’s departure.

I feel no sympathy for either player nor do I have a desire to see them back.

We’re trying to win a cup and they tried to make that a more difficult endeavour with these contracts.
Yeah I agree with this sentiment. I get that it's hard to turn down money like that, but it's also kind of interesting to think that a player like Holloway wouldn't bet on himself and took the quick money instead. He obviously doesn't think he's good enough to crack this team's top 6 next year and score himself a big contract off Leon or Connor, and frankly he isn't nearly good enough so perhaps a smart decision on his part.

I won't feel bad for either player if their development flat lines and they end up NHL tweeners.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly I don't actually care that much about losing the players. They're young depth that was nice to have when they were cheap, but you can find cheap depth at the TDL every year and every summer with guys looking to win.

As for some worries I've seen regarding the Oilers losing speed up front in Holloway, McLeod, Foegele. You don't need to be a fast team throughout the lineup to win. Florida isn't a fast team. St. Louis wasn't a fast team when they won. What Edmonton needs to be more effective is better puck movers. I've never seen Emberson play, but I can tell you that removing Ceci and Desharnais from the roster, who were regulars for 95% of last season, improves the puck moving of this team immensely. Both Ceci and Desharnais were well below average puck movers.

Good puck moving D remove the need for speed throughout your forward group. They do the skating for the forwards through their puck movement, and you can have mediocre skaters excel in a system like that.

Not to mention Savoie is on his way and he is a +++skater. I think he's closer to NHL ready than many think, and I think he will surprise people when he plays NHL games this year.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The Oilers are missing Broberg, Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, Desharnais, Ceci, Gagner, fwiw. We'll also be missing Kane this season from all reports.

Are people really expecting Hyman to repeat a legend 55 goal season. Teams were adjusting and the scoring in bunches wasn't coming as much. Seems like every year we expect all our guns to have legend seasons even while we've depleted bottomsix drastically.

You know as well another calendar year flipped on a team that for starting players is very old.
Holloway, McLeod and Foegele were replaced by Arvidsson, Skinner and Podkolzin. Gagner has been a complete non factor for years. Desharnais has been replaced by Stetcher and Emberson, and Codi Ceci's legitimate replacement will likely come during the season.

Who knows what Hyman will do? He doesn't have to score 50+ for the team to succeed. McDrai are both good for huge seasons because that's just how good they are. It shouldn't be a knock against the team for having them.

But I disagree with this idea that the team has just been stripped bare. Replacements were brought in and they have cap flexibility to add at least one legit player this season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe its Kulak that moves over. Be a little creative here...lol
The point still remains the same.
You do not expect a what essentially amounts to a rookie player to take on the work load of a vet player when your goal is to develop that young/rookie player.
I hear you, I just don't think he was ready until very recently. He was getting outplayed by virtual nobodies in camp/preseason just as recently as last offseason then guys like Desharnais who played a very distinct role which was needed at the time helped revive the season and it became tough for him to crack the lineup especially since he never earned it.

I will say that he was dicked around when they were playing him very minimal minutes under Woodcroft and left him twisting in the wind with healthy scratches as well until they finally sent him down but that's just a small sample size in his entire tenure here. Most of his tenure was him simply not being ready for full time action so I guess it's fair to say that blame lies on both sides but I see it as Broberg not being quite good enough yet or requesting trades as the main reasons why it came to this. Actually, the main reason why it came to this is because of $9.25m, $5m which became dead cap and $3.6m bonus forcing the Oilers into a cap crunch and being susceptible to offer sheets.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
100%. No room for quitters to come back. We will by some miracle find players that will exceed their combined 31 lifetime NHL points, although apparently according to some haters we lost the two biggest cogs on our team.
My default setting is always take the money but I’m also obsessively competitive so there are times where for myself that takes precedence over money.

If I was on 27-28 teams in the league I probably definitely take offer sheet, probably even the Holloway one. If I’m on a team that came within a goal of winning it all and is primed to run it back over the next couple years, I probably stick it out for another year or two to try and win. As a kid who dreamed of playing pro hockey playing in the driveway I always pretended I was playing in the cup finals winning the Stanley Cup, maybe Broberg and Holloway dreamed about making lots of money while they were playing hockey in their driveway.

I wish these kids well but I hope the Oilers win a cup or two over the next couple years and I hope those guys never come close to sniffing one for the rest of their careers.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Hindsight they should have traded Broberg two years ago.
Instead of Kesselring for sure who looks very promising.

We lost 3 young promising players In the last 2 years. They would've been a crucial part of this team with McDavid and Draisaitl in their mid 30's.

Sometimes I don't know who I hate more, Peter or Ken.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Instead of Kesselring for sure who looks very promising.

We lost 3 young promising players In the last 2 years. They would've been a crucial part of this team with McDavid and Draisaitl in their mid 30's.

Sometimes I don't know who I hate more, Peter or Ken.
Peter

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers are missing Broberg, Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, Desharnais, Ceci, Gagner, fwiw. We'll also be missing Kane this season from all reports.

Are people really expecting Hyman to repeat a legend 55 goal season. Teams were adjusting and the scoring in bunches wasn't coming as much. Seems like every year we expect all our guns to have legend seasons even while we've depleted bottomsix drastically.

You know as well another calendar year flipped on a team that for starting players is very old.
He doesn't need to. McDavid and Draisaitl had down years on goal scoring and that's not likely to happen again (not that regular season scoring matters this team cares only about the playoffs). There's a lot of guys on this roster who have the potential to score more goals. Just off the top of my head McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Brown, Janmark all scored quite a bit below their career average (or in Draisaitl's case his "prime" average). Henrique is a good uptick candidate with a more settled in role on this team and his family situation figured out. It's never easy to come into a new team 3/4th way through a season and produce at the same level you normally do.

Here's what I know about Hyman. He's scored 30-19-49 in 53 playoff games since being here. His regression is not something I'm worried about in the regular season.

Arvidsson + Skinner is an enormous upgrade on anything that Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, or Gagner brought to this team. The top end got way better. You of all people should know how big an Arvidsson/Skinner will be for Draisaitl when he's had a carousel of bottom 6 forwards.

Did the bottom end really get much worse from a regular season perspective? Most of McLeod and Foegele's production came while playing in the top 6. The returning guys in Brown, Janmark, and Henrique are unlikely to put up offensive numbers like that this season. Ceci's puck moving is atrocious and Broberg wasn't even on the team for 90% of the season. Holloway produced at a 4th line level in the regular season as well and has yet to show he can produce above that level (he's a decent bet to going forward given the end of his season and playoffs, but he didn't provide that last year).

The Oilers will add a Ceci upgrade in season. There's a decent chance that Emberson can be an upgrade on Desharnais, and definitely in the puck moving department that the Oilers really need.

I still feel like this roster is better going into the season than it ended last year, and there's room to add later in the year to fill some holes.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He doesn't need to. McDavid and Draisaitl had down years on goal scoring and that's not likely to happen again (not that regular season scoring matters this team cares only about the playoffs). There's a lot of guys on this roster who have the potential to score more goals. Just off the top of my head McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Brown, Janmark all scored quite a bit below their career average (or in Draisaitl's case his "prime" average). Henrique is a good uptick candidate with a more settled in role on this team and his family situation figured out. It's never easy to come into a new team 3/4th way through a season and produce at the same level you normally do.

Here's what I know about Hyman. He's scored 30-19-49 in 53 playoff games since being here. His regression is not something I'm worried about in the regular season.

Arvidsson + Skinner is an enormous upgrade on anything that Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, or Gagner brought to this team. The top end got way better. You of all people should know how big an Arvidsson/Skinner will be for Draisaitl when he's had a carousel of bottom 6 forwards.

Did the bottom end really get much worse from a regular season perspective? Most of McLeod and Foegele's production came while playing in the top 6. The returning guys in Brown, Janmark, and Henrique are unlikely to put up offensive numbers like that this season. Ceci's puck moving is atrocious and Broberg wasn't even on the team for 90% of the season. Holloway produced at a 4th line level in the regular season as well and has yet to show he can produce above that level (he's a decent bet to going forward given the end of his season and playoffs, but he didn't provide that last year).

The Oilers will add a Ceci upgrade in season. There's a decent chance that Emberson can be an upgrade on Desharnais, and definitely in the puck moving department that the Oilers really need.

I still feel like this roster is better going into the season than it ended last year, and there's room to add later in the year to fill some holes.
This is a way better team coming into the season no doubt about it. Losing these two will hurt down the road though.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
This is a way better team coming into the season no doubt about it. Losing these two will hurt down the road though.

Savoie can potentially hedge against the Holloway loss. Holloway of course is the much more known commodity and as others have mentioned on the upwards trajectory. If hypothetically we go potential for potential Savoie has the higher ceiling and this loss could possibly fast track his development. The organization might have to scratch they're desire to develop him as a center thought.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hear you, I just don't think he was ready until very recently. He was getting outplayed by virtual nobodies in camp/preseason just as recently as last offseason then guys like Desharnais who played a very distinct role which was needed at the time helped revive the season and it became tough for him to crack the lineup especially since he never earned it.

I will say that he was dicked around when they were playing him very minimal minutes under Woodcroft and left him twisting in the wind with healthy scratches as well until they finally sent him down but that's just a small sample size in his entire tenure here. Most of his tenure was him simply not being ready for full time action so I guess it's fair to say that blame lies on both sides but I see it as Broberg not being quite good enough yet or requesting trades as the main reasons why it came to this. Actually, the main reason why it came to this is because of $9.25m, $5m which became dead cap and $3.6m bonus forcing the Oilers into a cap crunch and being susceptible to offer sheets.
Yeah I think the issues under Woodcroft are a valid point.

As for the rest...sounds like we just arent going to agree about the team playing him out of position.
No worries though....good chatting with you.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My default setting is always take the money but I’m also obsessively competitive so there are times where for myself that takes precedence over money.

If I was on 27-28 teams in the league I probably definitely take offer sheet, probably even the Holloway one. If I’m on a team that came within a goal of winning it all and is primed to run it back over the next couple years, I probably stick it out for another year or two to try and win. As a kid who dreamed of playing pro hockey playing in the driveway I always pretended I was playing in the cup finals winning the Stanley Cup, maybe Broberg and Holloway dreamed about making lots of money while they were playing hockey in their driveway.

I wish these kids well but I hope the Oilers win a cup or two over the next couple years and I hope those guys never come close to sniffing one for the rest of their careers.

Wish that Holloway was wired like Brady. Loved the competitive aspect of coming in as the #7 QB, and having the confidence in his abilities and the work ethic and drive to show that he belonged with the best. Quickly learned that taking a bit less money in order to help the team win was what it was all about for him.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Broberg was even more stoic in his body language than Holloway. Some people think they want soenthing and when they get it realize it may not have been the best decision.
Pay me triple what I should be making and I’ll move to St. Louis too.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Northern European countries are known for their impressive English skills, and Finland is no exception. English is widely spoken in Finland, with 70% of people having a conversational level. Moreover, roughly 50% of Finns have an upper intermediate or advanced level in English.
Thank you for posting. Just so you know, the person you are replying to is a known expert on most things. Even languages he doesn’t speak and places he has never visited. The other thing to keep in mind is that he is a huge Puljujarvi fan. He’ll be defending that player on this board ten years from now.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think we can all agree that the Oilers are stacked at foward. Absolute no problems there. J. Skinner and Arvidsson (if he stays healthy) are huge additions. Henrique is a really good player and finally gives them that ideal third-line center. The fourth line is kind of 'meh at present, but every club's fourth line is 'meh' and interchangeable in today's NHL.

In goal, they're okay. I'd say about average.

The issue is on defence. People are saying, "they'll get another top-4 D in-season". Is it really that easy? They just lost three of last season's regular defencemen to teams who paid way more for those players than anybody on here thought they were worth. Evidently, defencemen of Broberg or Ceci or Desharnais's caliber are rarer than we think.

It's a cap-hit of $3 million just to get a Dman of Cody Ceci's ability in today's NHL. So, if you want someone better than him, expect to take $4 million out of the cap.

Reactions: aspin3 and McDoused

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
how many goals will cap space score this year?:sarcasm:
To be fair we used our cap space (that could have been utilized to sign Broberg and Holloway to deals they didn’t deserve) on guys like Arvidsson, Skinner and Henrique. So hopefully they score quite a few goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Am interesting point, especially with trading away their 2023 1st in the Ekholm deal as well.
IMG_6946.jpeg

Yes the Oilers are in win now mode, but it’s nice to have prospects in the pipeline. The addition of Savoie, O’Reilly (a surprise trade up), and Akey being a quality prospect help. Lavoie still looks like he has a chance, though there really isn’t a spot on the roster for him to use is shot. And the wild card of how Jarventie preforms after a long time off due to injury like Savoie.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Holloway, McLeod and Foegele were replaced by Arvidsson, Skinner and Podkolzin. Gagner has been a complete non factor for years. Desharnais has been replaced by Stetcher and Emberson, and Codi Ceci's legitimate replacement will likely come during the season.

Who knows what Hyman will do? He doesn't have to score 50+ for the team to succeed. McDrai are both good for huge seasons because that's just how good they are. It shouldn't be a knock against the team for having them.

But I disagree with this idea that the team has just been stripped bare. Replacements were brought in and they have cap flexibility to add at least one legit player this season.

I don't know how anyone could be worried about the forward group. Holloway was not that good. Even in playoffs he was invisible for 80% of his ice time. We can actually ice a complete top 2 lines now, and have some pretty good depth beyond it now. A legit top 2 lines is huge to finally have, plus we add Kane for playoffs.

There is way too much reading into 3 games where our team played underdog while the Panthers were in near-choker mode, letting up and giving us an opening while overly fixated on McDavid, thinking that's all they needed to do to coast to the 4th win. Falling in love with tiny sample sizes, especially in extremely unique circumstances, rarely works out, and I'm pretty thankful we didn't participate in that this summer. Holland was a king of loving tiny sample sizes, which lead to Kassian being super rich, for maybe 3 months of real effort in 6 years, lol.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Broberg alone had a pick of 3 or more potential offersheets to sign. He picked one. We rarely hear about the others but in this case Broberg and others have said there were multiple offer sheets.

Just going on whats been stated. If you think its a hoax and only STL was going this route than I disagree, based on whats stated. Did Broberg and his agent lie in your opinion?
Who cares
Yeah I agree with this sentiment. I get that it's hard to turn down money like that, but it's also kind of interesting to think that a player like Holloway wouldn't bet on himself and took the quick money instead. He obviously doesn't think he's good enough to crack this team's top 6 next year and score himself a big contract off Leon or Connor, and frankly he isn't nearly good enough so perhaps a smart decision on his part.

I won't feel bad for either player if their development flat lines and they end up NHL tweeners.
i wish them all the best. They are kids who took the money. Child development wise, it’s like wants a toonie instead of a sovereign because the toonie is bigger.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Great post.

I've considered a lot of that. But people should probably revise takes on what Arviddson, Skinner can bring now. You probably haven't seen them but in several posts I've detailed the problems ArRvie has had. 2 recent back surgeries, not at all routine, lower body injuries. He ain't at any peak health, he barely played last season at all, and He got hurt twice last season even in his limited games played. Really it would be amazing if he plays 40 games. Hockey is not kind to the degenerating back injuries he has.

Henrique is actually the bigger factor and better player than either of Skinner or Arvie. Not even close really, and interested to see a full year of him. Henrique was also transformative in bottomsix so thats good news. But I could see him floating up or down lineup as well. He's the single biggest add weve made since Ekholm. He's overall a better player than RNH. That good. But Kane is probably done. Period. LTIR or not we don't have him and I doubt much comes back.

My ongoing take is we've seen the best of Drai already. Sure he'll have better wingers now, but cumulative damage from every season and aging is starting to impact. I don't think we see 50 goal seasons anymore, and frankly we haven't been seeing much EV. We'll see. But first we have to sign him...

At no point was I saying this wasn't a good team. But its a team with finite shelf life and a lot of starters getting pretty old. People talk about the younger players we got but no guarantees they make lineup. The returning starters this year, in sum, its a very old team. Just what it is. The thing is the departing young players we had were starters and if they weren't every game they sure had advanced to being constants in the lineup. No guarantees we have that in the newer players and prospects added.

I love Janmark but I also know he's always better in playoffs and often isn't in regular season. With aging players like Ryan, Janmark, Brown, they're closer to being done.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Podkolzin isn't even an NHL player now. Last seen he's been a bust for the last two years. He isn't even prominent in AHL. Unless he has a complete turn around he doesn't even make the club.

Arvidsson is injured goods. Can barely play much now. Missed almost all of last season and was still getting hurt and having recurring problems.

We're not getting prime Arvie or anything close to that. We're getting the current version. You never mentioned that Kane who has been prominent here for years is now probably done or close to it. That makes it a saw off with now having either Skinner or Arvie. Frankly Kane was a better player than either.

Fact of the matter is we've lost several forwards from last cup run and we've gained around 2 and then others were hoping for, or are prospects. Not immediate help now.

its kinda funny that now people are just loving the idea of Jeff Skinner being a savior He was common fodder here and around the league as one of the worst defensive forwards going and has had some complete head case seasons with clusterf*** GA. He's had some good seasons too but you never know with him which one you're getting. This being the case in Carolina and Buffalo.

Guy can score but I'm not a huge fan of his 200ft game. 22-23 was the only season among the last several where he actually helped to make a team better and actually bought in. usually he doesn't. The Normal Jeff Skinner mode is flirt with 20- 30 goals while being careful not to do anything else.

Skinner was so bad defensively last season he was off the chart.

1724302351651.png

Strange as it is Foegele had more EV goals last season than Skinner did. Skinner who was getting a lot of topsix. Plus consider Skinner was getting paid 9M to be that kind of terrible last season.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think we can all agree that the Oilers are stacked at foward. Absolute no problems there. J. Skinner and Arvidsson (if he stays healthy) are huge additions. Henrique is a really good player and finally gives them that ideal third-line center. The fourth line is kind of 'meh at present, but every club's fourth line is 'meh' and interchangeable in today's NHL.

In goal, they're okay. I'd say about average.

The issue is on defence. People are saying, "they'll get another top-4 D in-season". Is it really that easy? They just lost three of last season's regular defencemen to teams who paid way more for those players than anybody on here thought they were worth. Evidently, defencemen of Broberg or Ceci or Desharnais's caliber are rarer than we think.

It's a cap-hit of $3 million just to get a Dman of Cody Ceci's ability in today's NHL. So, if you want someone better than him, expect to take $4 million out of the cap.
Thing is by not matching we have more cap flexibility at the deadline. There’s more flexibility at the deadline because teams are willing to retain on expiring deals. Our forwards are stacked and the oilers focus this deadline will 100% be on landing a top 4 right D.

By not matching we gained more assets to use to get that player and more flexibility to do it.

We also have some NHL level right D options. Emberson is only a year older than broberg and has had a strong start to his career. Biggest concern is lots of injuries already but if he can stay healthy he may be a better player than Broberg or Ceci. He is strong defensively and Knobloch knows him well. Stecher is also a fully capable 5-6 D man. Brown is also a capable guy who can step in for stretches.

Our D is still fine and if we can add a top4 guy it could look a lot better than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad