Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
EDM / FLA have the Stanley Cup hang over and COL/VAN have major injures. What's the Bruins excuse?
That’s quite a hangover in EDM then. COL has plenty of talent to compete. Same with Vancouver, especially under Tocchett. What about Nashville?

Either way, the Bruins won two and lost two, dude. Had they beat FLA yesterday, this board would be spinning a different story. Their PP woes are inexcusable, but everything else can be chalked up to new players adjusting and a slow start for players we KNOW will contribute. It doesn’t help that Swayman is rusty.

It was obvious from game 1 this team was going to take a while to come together. Maybe hang in there for a few games before deciding to burn everything down.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I’d like to see the Cup precedent for Kastelic as your top line C.
Chicago won multiple Cups with a 4th liner on the first line. Bickell was a physical presence, he created turnovers on the forecheck, he was a net front presence and it freed up Toews and Kane to wheel and deal.

Why did Bertuzzi work with Zacha and Pasta? He played a simple, north-south game and left the puck carrying to them, he retrieved pucks around the net, he set screens, he won battles, he didn't need the puck on his stick like Hall or Lindholm. He did the dirty things so they could operate in space and make plays. Whether it's Kastelic or someone else, that's what that line needs, not more skill. (The line that needs more skill is the Marchand line.)

The one area Bertuzzi failed on that line was defensively and that's where Kastelic could be a help. He's a good defensive player and as a center, he does most of the heavy lifting in the Dzone, freeing Zacha and Pasta to lead the rush. They can spend less time defending and more time attacking. As our best FO guy, it also lets Zacha and Pasta run face-off plays off wins... Something we really couldn't do last year.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Chicago won multiple Cups with a 4th liner on the first line. Bickell was a physical presence, he created turnovers on the forecheck, he was a net front presence and it freed up Toews and Kane to wheel and deal.

Why did Bertuzzi work with Zacha and Pasta? He played a simple, north-south game and left the puck carrying to them, he retrieved pucks around the net, he set screens, he won battles, he didn't need the puck on his stick like Hall or Lindholm. He did the dirty things so they could operate in space and make plays. Whether it's Kastelic or someone else, that's what that line needs, not more skill. (The line that needs more skill is the Marchand line.)

The one area Bertuzzi failed on that line was defensively and that's where Kastelic could be a help. He's a good defensive player and as a center, he does most of the heavy lifting in the Dzone, freeing Zacha and Pasta to lead the rush. They can spend less time defending and more time attacking. As our best FO guy, it also lets Zacha and Pasta run face-off plays off wins... Something we really couldn't do last year.
Kastelic playing great hockey right now, but he’s not a top six center. He’s using his speed and aggressiveness against bottom pair defenseman and bottom 6 forwards. The 4th line has been awesome I wouldn’t mess with it. I’d move Poitras up to top 6 and play Lindholm with Marchand.

Marchand been a great Captain and team player but dam Monty give him some elite skill to play with!

Reactions: The don godfather

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Kastelic playing great hockey right now, but he’s not a top six center. He’s using his speed and aggressiveness against bottom pair defenseman and bottom 6 forwards. The 4th line has been awesome I wouldn’t mess with it. I’d move Poitras up to top 6 and play Lindholm with Marchand.

Marchand been a great Captain and team player but dam Monty give him some elite skill to play with!
The Lindholm / Pasty / Zacha line has played well so far.
Having zero production from the second line, calls for a change.
I would move Potsy up to the second line to play with Marchand.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The good news? The Bruins have received plenty of scoring punch out of the gate from their fourth line.

The high-motor trio of Mark Kastelic, Johnny Beecher, and Cole Koepke has combined for 13 pointsthrough four games.

The bad news? That checking unit is just about the only segment of the forward corps landing punches on the scoresheet, especially at five-on-five play.
After the fourth line, the team’s top five-on-five scorer is … defenseman Brandon Carlo (3 points).

The top line of David Pastrnak, Pavel Zacha, and Elias Lindholm has combined for just 5 five-on-five points; the top-six grouping of Brad Marchand, Charlie Coyle, and Morgan Geekie has zero five-on-five points.

Reshuffling lines has usually been coach Jim Montgomery’s first contingency plan when scoring wanes — as evidenced by bumping Coyle and Geekie down to the third line with Trent Frederic during Monday’s loss to the Panthers.

But on Tuesday, Montgomery stressed that no lineup tinkering will remedy the current woes if the overall compete level carries over from Monday’s showing.

“Right now, it’s the effort level, the consistency of our effort level — over chemistry — that is hurting,” Montgomery said. “And then that really affects execution.”

Montgomery’s sentiment also applies to a power play that has done little to prop up an imbalanced offense so far.

The Bruins have cashed in only twice on 18 power-play opportunities (11.1 percent) while relinquishing a pair of shorthanded goals to Florida’s Sam Reinhart.

The power play has struggled when it comes to even generating quality chances. Over 31:20 of man-advantage time, the Bruins have created only eight high-danger scoring chances (per NaturalStatTrick), while relinquishing four down the other end of the ice.

There have been encouraging sequences at times, such as Lindholm ferrying the puck across the slot from the bumper position or Charlie McAvoy lighting the lamp off a sharp wrister from the high slot.

But they have been few and far between, and the inability to generate sustained O-zone time while up a skater is limiting how many chances stars like Pastrnak and Marchand can generate.

“We’ve got to be a little stronger in battles,” Marchand said. “We need to outnumber teams. Sometimes you simplify. You have to outnumber the kill in the battles and come up with pucks. We haven’t come up with them enough.”

Despite relying on their fourth line for most of the heavy lifting, the Bruins still rank eighth in the NHL in goals per game (3.75). Pastrnak believes it’s only a matter of time until the rest of the forwards start pulling on the rope.

“The only frustration is probably that we know we are a much better team than we showed so far,” Pastrnak said. “So that’s definitely frustrating, because we know we can do much better.

“I would say healthy frustration, just because we know we can be much better than what we showed.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also:

Tyler Johnson, still without a contract, was a participant on the ice in Brighton. The 34-year-old veteran was brought into camp on a professional tryout contract and impressed during preseason action. Last week, Montgomery said Johnson was “being patient and sticking around for now,” with the Bruins needing to clear some cap space if they intend to ink him to an NHL contract. According to PuckPedia, the Bruins have just $406,117 in cap space.

Reactions: bbfan419

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

You know I always thought of Frederic for the top line, but it's an interesting thought with Kastelic. I am having a tough time arguing anything you are saying here. Think there are probably reasons why it would be easier to stuff a physical bottom six spacemaker in at the wing than center, tho. Not sure if I want Kastelic matched up against Barkov out there, ya know?

Reactions: sarge88

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You know I always thought of Frederic for the top line, but it's an interesting thought with Kastelic. I am having a tough time arguing anything you are saying here. Think there are probably reasons why it would be easier to stuff a physical bottom six spacemaker in at the wing than center, tho. Not sure if I want Kastelic matched up against Barkov out there, ya know?

I could maybe see Kastelic getting a look at RW higher in the lineup. I don't believe for a second that i want him Centering Pasta.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I could maybe see Kastelic getting a look at RW higher in the lineup. I don't believe for a second that i want him Centering Pasta.
What has Pasta done 5 on 5 or anything else with center he has now? Maybe its not the center?

Pasta has to be a very difficult player to center, he's so irresponsible with the puck the center need to think defense first.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What has Pasta done 5 0n 5 or anything else with center he has now? Maybe its not the center?

Pasta has to be a very difficult player to center, he's so irresponsible with the puck the center need to think defense first.

For his flaws, Pasta is BY far the best offensive player on the roster, and it's not close. You have an elite defensive center, who is also a gifted offensive player centering him. No the pairing hasn't fully meshed through 4 games, but it would be insanity to not give it some time to see if the chemistry develops.

I do think the defensive question is why it would not be a good idea to match him up with Poitras at the point, even if it would be an interesting pairing to see offensively

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

The good news? The Bruins have received plenty of scoring punch out of the gate from their fourth line.

The high-motor trio of Mark Kastelic, Johnny Beecher, and Cole Koepke has combined for 13 pointsthrough four games.

The bad news? That checking unit is just about the only segment of the forward corps landing punches on the scoresheet, especially at five-on-five play.
After the fourth line, the team’s top five-on-five scorer is … defenseman Brandon Carlo (3 points).

The top line of David Pastrnak, Pavel Zacha, and Elias Lindholm has combined for just 5 five-on-five points; the top-six grouping of Brad Marchand, Charlie Coyle, and Morgan Geekie has zero five-on-five points.

Reshuffling lines has usually been coach Jim Montgomery’s first contingency plan when scoring wanes — as evidenced by bumping Coyle and Geekie down to the third line with Trent Frederic during Monday’s loss to the Panthers.

But on Tuesday, Montgomery stressed that no lineup tinkering will remedy the current woes if the overall compete level carries over from Monday’s showing.

“Right now, it’s the effort level, the consistency of our effort level — over chemistry — that is hurting,” Montgomery said. “And then that really affects execution.”

Montgomery’s sentiment also applies to a power play that has done little to prop up an imbalanced offense so far.

The Bruins have cashed in only twice on 18 power-play opportunities (11.1 percent) while relinquishing a pair of shorthanded goals to Florida’s Sam Reinhart.

The power play has struggled when it comes to even generating quality chances. Over 31:20 of man-advantage time, the Bruins have created only eight high-danger scoring chances (per NaturalStatTrick), while relinquishing four down the other end of the ice.

There have been encouraging sequences at times, such as Lindholm ferrying the puck across the slot from the bumper position or Charlie McAvoy lighting the lamp off a sharp wrister from the high slot.

But they have been few and far between, and the inability to generate sustained O-zone time while up a skater is limiting how many chances stars like Pastrnak and Marchand can generate.

“We’ve got to be a little stronger in battles,” Marchand said. “We need to outnumber teams. Sometimes you simplify. You have to outnumber the kill in the battles and come up with pucks. We haven’t come up with them enough.”

Despite relying on their fourth line for most of the heavy lifting, the Bruins still rank eighth in the NHL in goals per game (3.75). Pastrnak believes it’s only a matter of time until the rest of the forwards start pulling on the rope.

“The only frustration is probably that we know we are a much better team than we showed so far,” Pastrnak said. “So that’s definitely frustrating, because we know we can do much better.

“I would say healthy frustration, just because we know we can be much better than what we showed.”
Blah Blah Blah

This teams leaders have become masters of the all talk same results guys. They should be embarrassed sitting on the bench and watching the effort that fourth line put out every shift. Disgusting really

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
For his flaws, Pasta is BY far the best offensive player on the roster, and it's not close. You have an elite defensive center, who is also a gifted offensive player centering him. No the pairing hasn't fully meshed through 4 games, but it would be insanity to not give it some time to see if the chemistry develops.

I do think the defensive question is why it would not be a good idea to match him up with Poitras at the point, even if it would be an interesting pairing to see offensively
Can't continue to give pucks away when you get pressured regardless of the skill you brings. He defeats his own purpose with the boneheaded plays on the PP.

Put him down on the second unit get the better killers away from him so he can get some shots on net.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

I'm not expecting Kastelic to become a "top6 center." I'd expect him to be who he is, a guy who wins races, battles, competes, gets to the net... which is what that line needs. Bickell averaged 28 points a season. He didn't become a 1st liner by playing on one. He just brought something they lacked.

I also wouldn't move Poitras off the 3rd line right now. Let him build some confidence there. That line has also dominated 5on5. Revisit moving him at Christmas.

Reactions: trenton1

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Frederic brings a lot of that too. I wouldn't be opposed to trying him out on that line. I think he's a little less buzz saw and a little more cerebral than Kastelic, but he does play around the net.

I definitely hear you on the concern. It's an outside the box idea and there's no way to know if he could handle it without seeing if he could handle it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
There is also a precedent for Pasta playing well with a simpleton: Erik Haula.

Haula's a career 30 point guy, who did a lot of the same things Kastelic would do; win face-offs, defend, go to the net.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Lindholm had a shortened camp and only played (I think) one preseason game cause of the new baby, should probably just keep him with Pasta and let them build chemistry rather then abandoning playing them together after 4 games.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Love getting Tyler Johnson in there. Middle 6 needs it.

Btw I can't put my finger on why I dislike Freddy-Poitras-Brazeau

Maybe I'm still annoyed that Freddy never made it as a C, and I'd love his size down the middle. Just seems like a weird line.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I am totally fine with re-working the top 6 but not at expense of the 4th line.

Monty will tinker w/ the top 9 as needed, but otherwise I'd let the boys fight through adversity together and find their own spots. Not much Sweeney can do in the meantime aside from add Johnson to the mix - or make a call up when one of the kids is ready (they are not, BTW).

Reactions: Healthy Wrap

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Okay, full apologies for posting this if someone else already has but I'd love for the Bruins to explore moving assets for a retained Jonathan Huberdeau.

He could play the C position and bump Coyle to the RW.
He as a personal vendetta and is motivated to defeat the Panthers.
He plays a Bruins complete two-way game.
He is playing to prove to the NHL he can return to form outside of Calgary.
He is outscoring every Bruin right now.
He has a NMC that he controls, allowing Boston (his former teams key opponent) to perhaps control the return if Calgary wants to move on from the contract.

I believe Calgary are looking to compete with the new arena opening and giving them young, cost controlled assets paired with NHL players ready to take on a bigger role could be enticing to the Flames.

Retention is key.
Frederic, Coyle, Poitras, Lysell, Merkulov and picks have to be on the table in some combination if retention is part of it.

Having him at $5,250,000 for the next four years could be a steal.

I was at the Canucks season opener at ice level and he was clearly on a mission. Since that game, he has only gotten better and Bruins' management eyes need to shift to Calgary here.

This isn't something that's immediate but, like Lindholm, I'd love for him to be on their radar right now going into 2025.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Okay, full apologies for posting this if someone else already has but I'd love for the Bruins to explore moving assets for a retained Jonathan Huberdeau.

He has a NMC that he controls, allowing Boston (his former teams key opponent) to perhaps control the return if Calgary wants to move on from the contract.

I believe Calgary are looking to compete with the new arena opening and giving them young, cost controlled assets paired with NHL players ready to take on a bigger role could be enticing to the Flames.

Retention is key.
Frederic, Coyle, Poitras, Lysell, Merkulov and picks have to be on the table in some combination if retention is part of it.

I was at the Canucks season opener at ice level and he was clearly on a mission. Since that game, he has only gotten better and Bruins' management eyes need to shift to Calgary here.

This isn't something that's immediate but, like Lindholm, I'd love for him to be on their radar right now going into 2025.
Huberdeau isn’t a center though. He’s taken 348 faceoffs in 835 career games.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Retention is key.

I don't follow your logic on why Calgary would want to move him, not to mention move him AND retain salary. Especially for the options you listed above. I just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad