GDT: Aisles @ Haves: Game 3 - October 14, 2024 7:00pm MT (Canadian Turkey Day edition)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Goal 4 he doesn't even move.
Goal 4 started with Cale's brutal turnover at the blueline. Georgiev came out to challenge and got set, and Nelson takes a quick shot that goes post and in far side. If Georgiev moves to cover that side, he leaves the short side vulnerable, and if he comes out to cut the angle down further, he leaves himself wide open for Nelson to deke to the outside around him. Again, this is a "shooter versus goalie" situation that the shooter played well, and neither of them would even BE in that situation if Cale doesn't make that inexplicable decision to turn his back on the guy barreling down on him and make a blind pass.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Sometimes I forget nobody can see Altitude - they showed Roy on the jumbotron during a TV timeout and when they came back Rycroft (who was between the benches) said he didn't look at it at all because he was talking to his players and probably didn't know it was actually happening.

That said there was a bit later on where there was a lot of cheering during a stoppage and the camera was focused on him for a bit and he looked to me like he was trying not to cry but I could be making things up.

Reactions: Rehabguy

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We've lost games by 4, 2, and 4 goals. Odds are not high that a full lineup with what we have seen gets us to 2-1. Maybe 1-2, but more likely 0-2-1. We're literally giving up 6.67 goals per game. Even if you assume that drops to 5.5 by defensive improvement (which stats would say we have very similar defensive output compared to last year so far, small sample... but unlikely). You'd have to come up with the goals for too. Avs history would suggest we are at max a ~3.75 goals per game team and probably closer to 3.5. So maybe an extra goal in the 3 games.

Which all of this is to say, maybe the Columbus game is a win or goes into OT. Arguably the worst roster in the league and we are looking at a toss up game.

Legitimately the Avs goaltending are giving away 4 goals over expected per game. There is no quality of team that can overcome that with any consistency.
With a full line up, the game would be different. You can’t assume it would be the same as it is right now because it wouldn’t be. Just look at the roster now and then compare to what it would be with a healthy roster. The whole team would play with more confidence, control games and be much better defensively.

Right now everything is shit. Goaltending is bad, and the team as a whole has no confidence. They play every shift knowing if they make a mistake it’s gonna end up in the net, and they don’t have the depth to overcome those issues.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
In my opinion as the years have gone by we have seen Bednar's flaws re: roster construction come out in a MAJOR way.

The team he inherited and received for the first couple of seasons was LITTERED with high IQ players. Guys who have left like Compher, Kadri, Burakovsky, Saad, Kerfoot, Calvert, Wilson, Aube-Kubel, Cogliano. Not to mention the guys on this current roster like Landeskog, Drouin, Toews, Lehkonen, and Nichushkin currently out of action.

That's from a GM. Then when you get guys like Colton, Wood, Duhaime, Trenin, Kelly, etc and there's a clear emphasis on getting bigger but we are losing more and more guys who can think.

I don't know. To me it seems like Bednar believes his system is what caused us to win, when in reality the guys Sakic/CMac brought to this team pre-dummies were littered with hard work AND IQ.

The dummies work hard. But they are dummies for a reason. When most of your high IQ guys are out of the lineup, it compounds.

I think we're seeing the major flaws in Bednar's system.
Compher had the highest of IQs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With a full line up, the game would be different. You can’t assume it would be the same as it is right now because it wouldn’t be. Just look at the roster now and then compare to what it would be with a healthy roster. The whole team would play with more confidence, control games and be much better defensively.

Right now everything is shit. Goaltending is bad, and the team as a whole has no confidence. They play every shift knowing if they make a mistake it’s gonna end up in the net, and they don’t have the depth to overcome those issues.
We can say that we'd be pretty close to previous year's teams in quality. In how they produce and what they give up. It wouldn't be drastically different from those. Maybe a bit, but even on the generous side of things, they don't have enough to overcome what is happening in net.

The defensive issues are not nearly as strong as people are stating. The first two games, the Avs were very good defensively. Not perfect, but the type of defense a coach dreams of. Last night was a poor night, but all three together would equate to a defense that is on a similar level to previous years.

So right now, I wouldn't say everything is shit. Offense is producing and being dangerous (there is a lack of skill causing less goals, but not extreme). Defense is of a similar level as previous seasons. Goaltending is absolute shit though.

Compher had the highest of IQs.
To be fair... JTC's IQ is triple Wood and Colton's combined.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We can say that we'd be pretty close to previous year's teams in quality. In how they produce and what they give up. It wouldn't be drastically different from those. Maybe a bit, but even on the generous side of things, they don't have enough to overcome what is happening in net.

The defensive issues are not nearly as strong as people are stating. The first two games, the Avs were very good defensively. Not perfect, but the type of defense a coach dreams of. Last night was a poor night, but all three together would equate to a defense that is on a similar level to previous years.

So right now, I wouldn't say everything is shit. Offense is producing and being dangerous (there is a lack of skill causing less goals, but not extreme). Defense is of a similar level as previous seasons. Goaltending is absolute shit though.

To be fair... JTC's IQ is triple Wood and Colton's combined.
Again, I’m not disagreeing that goaltending is bad, obviously it is very bad and everyone knows that, but with a depleted roster that we have right now, not many goalies can make a difference. It would have to be a significant upgrade in net to overcome the lack of depth we have right now.

What goalies are out there that Avs can get that would make a difference? We would need a way above average goalie to help this depleted team win games, and I’m not sure where you find that goalie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Again, I’m not disagreeing that goaltending is bad, obviously it is very bad and everyone knows that, but with a depleted roster that we have right now, not many goalies can make a difference. It would have to be a significant upgrade in net to overcome the lack of depth we have right now.

What goalies are out there that Avs can get that would make a difference? We would need a way above average goalie to help this depleted team win games, and I’m not sure where you find that goalie.
I just highly disagree with this. All of the data, and first two games eye test to me, shows this team just needed average. If you got purely average goaltending this team is 2-1 with a ~3-2 or 4-2 loss to the Isles. Even with this depleted roster. The Avs really didn't play bad in the first two games. Last night was the only rough game.

Now I think moving forward, the lack of quality will hurt them and the level of defense they played in the first two games wasn't sustainable. That's where the roster difference will hit more than today.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
In my opinion as the years have gone by we have seen Bednar's flaws re: roster construction come out in a MAJOR way.

The team he inherited and received for the first couple of seasons was LITTERED with high IQ players. Guys who have left like Compher, Kadri, Burakovsky, Saad, Kerfoot, Calvert, Wilson, Aube-Kubel, Cogliano. Not to mention the guys on this current roster like Landeskog, Drouin, Toews, Lehkonen, and Nichushkin currently out of action.

That's from a GM. Then when you get guys like Colton, Wood, Duhaime, Trenin, Kelly, etc and there's a clear emphasis on getting bigger but we are losing more and more guys who can think.

I don't know. To me it seems like Bednar believes his system is what caused us to win, when in reality the guys Sakic/CMac brought to this team pre-dummies were littered with hard work AND IQ.

The dummies work hard. But they are dummies for a reason. When most of your high IQ guys are out of the lineup, it compounds.

I think we're seeing the major flaws in Bednar's system.
Agree with your analysis. The last line is the first line, and is the last line.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
A non goaltending related note— Forgot who said it but I think I agree that we need a Kadri esque disrupter who agitates and also contributes offensively. Guys like those change momentum and make it challenging for other teams to stay disciplined. Swagger guys. Missing that dearly right now.

so yeah, terrible start and a number of needs to address, but besides getting healthier, I love that Kovy is rising to the occasion. I think there’s a chance we turn it around and then look a little deeper than we did last year. Some Ducks fan suggested Gibson for Georgiev + picks on the trade board… idk if Gibson is it but if we can translate a deal like that into reliable .900 goaltending… I think the team could get its mojo back in front of a non-nightmare goalie

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just highly disagree with this. All of the data, and first two games eye test to me, shows this team just needed average. If you got purely average goaltending this team is 2-1 with a ~3-2 or 4-2 loss to the Isles. Even with this depleted roster. The Avs really didn't play bad in the first two games. Last night was the only rough game.

Now I think moving forward, the lack of quality will hurt them and the level of defense they played in the first two games wasn't sustainable. That's where the roster difference will hit more than today.
The reason I keep bringing up injuries and guys missing is because there is a good chance we have to go through this struggles until we get everyone back than CMac trading Georgiev for a better starter. Even if we don’t need an elite goalie but just someone better than what we have, who’s out there? Remember, Georgiev probably doesn’t have much value right now so we have to find a taker before we can get someone

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
George has zero confidence right now and all of his play symbolizes that. I also have no idea what he is being taught technique wise. His lunges for poke checks were stupid. His defending the post is taught to 9 year olds. This screams as a guy who is just mentally broken. You can see moments of his athletic ability coming through, but even a blind squirrel. Nuts once a day.

This game should have simply been a 3-2 loss for the Avs. They weren't winning with their game last night even with good goaltending. George still gave up 5, and Roy really throttled back his team in the 3rd to protect the lead.
We are just seeing the mental weakness Georgie seems to have always had. Quit on NYR when he didn't get his way and now, based on stats and body language, he is quitting on the Avs when the going gets tough. Maybe he recovers but I think only until adversity finds him again. Sigh.

Reactions: henchman21

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We are just seeing the mental weakness Georgie seems to have always had. Quit on NYR when he didn't get his way and now, based on stats and body language, he is quitting on the Avs when the going gets tough. Maybe he recovers but I think only until adversity finds him again. Sigh.
I mean honestly, he's not quitting on the team, he's just plain quitting when things get tough. Got nothing to do with the team around him and everything to do with the gray matter between his ears.

To have witnessed what happened to him last season. Know his track record. And to have still gone into the new season relying on him as the starter? It really is f***ing insanity when you think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad