Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Excited about the upcoming season defense goaltending look strong. Up front I'm worried
Bottom 6 I'm ok with. Top 6 im worried
First we don't even have a top 6. I'd say a top 5
Lidholm #1 center didn't even have 50 pts
Zacha now a huge point guy and pasta thankfully should provide enough scoring
The other 2 are coyle and marchy who's is 34 coming off 3 surgeries this off season
I don't have a top six we are going to have to mix and match with someone that's not suited for top six role that in itself is going to be a very hard role for them to fill and what if one of those top five get it hurt for any extended amount of time? I think the regular season we have enough to win 3-2 2-1 most games
But the playoffs as we know are two different animals so where is our scoring going to come from? I think relying on these Providence guys is a big mistake you may hit on one but to count on more than that is really setting yourself up the fail I am however hopeful we can find a way to score enough and everyone stays healthy and we get lucky you're going to need that regardless of the roster you have just curious to see what other people think

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If they player says he is healthy Sweeney can't say otherwise.

this is totally the case when discussing offseason surgeries, those always come from the players

I could be wrong here (and someone straighten me out if so lol) but the players as employees of the Bruins are covered by HIPAA so I believe Sweeney or anyone in management can't disclose medical information without the player's consent.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wouldn’t say major, but I think they’ll be middle of the pack in scoring.

The RW situation after pastrnak is sub par

A lot will depend on which Elias Lindholm they get. If we get 2023-2024 Elias Lindholm then things will look ugly.

Marchand coming off 3 more surgeries and going into his age 36 season while playing in a top 6 role is less than ideal. They really need to manage his minutes.

Reactions: NeelyDan

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Ya I'm worried we don't have enough up front
Elias and pasta have to be very good and gonna need zacha coyle marchy to have good years to
And still need a few more to bring secondary scoring. Fortunately though we are set up solid on the back end and goal so we won't need much
Scoring most nights. But still I'm worried hopefully the pp can be a weapon as well

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Geekie & Frederic should be better - confidence should be high

Poitras has a year under his belt and will help at some point

The defense should be able to wipe out time in their own end and be significantly better in transition

I’d be stunned if they aren’t significantly better (full disclosure I don’t know anything about hockey)

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I could be wrong here (and someone straighten me out if so lol) but the players as employees of the Bruins are covered by HIPAA so I believe Sweeney or anyone in management can't disclose medical information without the player's consent.

You are correct

i believe that is why you see NHL generally only list UBI or LBI as injuries for players who are out hurt

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bruins were mid-pack last year in goals. They lost about 60 goals via FA between DeBrusk, JVR, Heinen, Shatty and Boqvist. Elias should give you around 25 goals (which is ~40% of what left). Then you get (potentially) a full season of Poitras & Lohrei. Continued development of guys like Frederic & Geekie. I think in the end the Bruins end up in that same mid-pack of offense.

Reactions: wintersej

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
On the bright side the defense looks solid.

I suspect the offense will look a lot like it did last year during the regular season.
The addition of Lindholm fills 1 top six center position.
The other top six center position will be filled by Coyle, Zacha, or Poitras barring a trade or some unexpected surprise from any of the others who play or have played center.
And there is still uncertainty on the top six wing ... who is going to step up and fill the hole created by DeBrusk leaving?
Any further tweaking of the offense via signing or trade may be on hold until we know what the cap hit and space looks like after the Swayman negotiation is completed and may even wait until the trade deadline.
As I stated earlier the regular season offense will most likely resemble last season's regular season. There are holes and uncertainty in the top six which will lead to experimenting, mixing and matching to find suitable combinations. The regular season allows for that experimentation and tends to hide flaws and weaknesses as the level of opponents constantly change.

The real challenge will be creating offense in the playoffs. I really hope Montgomery has learned the importance of developing a strategy tailored to counter specific playoff opponents and the need for on ice match ups. What works regular season isn't the same as what is needed in the playoffs. The offense in the playoffs (where we struggled last year) may all depend on how much Montgomery has grown and learned as a coach, and if he will adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Gordoff

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
With a much bigger and tougher team I would expect us to have an uptick in blowouts this year as opponents mail it in during the regular season to preserve themselves. I think the Boston beefcake offense will be top 10 as opposing defensive systems will break down more frequently, not because of our team's puck talent.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
They were slightly above league average last year. Have they regressed?

I don’t think so. Guys like Coyle and Frederic tend to play well with proper matchups. Marchand is Marchand. Top line of Lindholm between Zacha and Pastrnak is a perfectly acceptable trio. Pastrnak will bring out the best in both guys and the points will come.

They’ll be fine. Not world beaters. Not juggernauts. Just fine.

The question is whether or not the entire team can elevate in April/May/June

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well now that the NHL and other sports teams, have hitched their wagon to gambling that should go out the window.
It can't blanket go out the window because it's the law. Each player would have to consent to get the teams to release specific info about injuries and illnesses. I suppose if it becomes a big issue, players could be asked to sign a HIPAA consent as part of the standard player contract, or something along those lines.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They were slightly above league average last year. Have they regressed?

I don’t think so. Guys like Coyle and Frederic tend to play well with proper matchups. Marchand is Marchand. Top line of Lindholm between Zacha and Pastrnak is a perfectly acceptable trio. Pastrnak will bring out the best in both guys and the points will come.

They’ll be fine. Not world beaters. Not juggernauts. Just fine.

The question is whether or not the entire team can elevate in April/May/June
12th out of 32.

And they should be better this season.

Brazeau a 30-goal scorer. To replace Debrusk.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Three surgeries? A lot of opposing fans like to say Marchand won't answer for his antics but I think he's as tough as they come.
I think Brad has always been relatively accountable for his actions.

I don't see an Ulf Samuelson or Claude Lemieux.

I don't think he's a sparky. That is, an arsonist who starts fires and then runs away.

I'm curious as to what others think here.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Sure but nothing prevents Sweeney from staying silent. He chose to broadcast no surgeries which was disingenuous at best. I’m not a hater but when unforced errors like this happen I can understand the complaints.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It can't blanket go out the window because it's the law. Each player would have to consent to get the teams to release specific info about injuries and illnesses. I suppose if it becomes a big issue, players could be asked to sign a HIPAA consent as part of the standard player contract, or something along those lines.
You are not wrong, but do you see my point where this could be headed, and the outcome might not be good.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Excited about the upcoming season defense goaltending look strong. Up front I'm worried
Bottom 6 I'm ok with. Top 6 im worried
First we don't even have a top 6. I'd say a top 5
Lidholm #1 center didn't even have 50 pts
Zacha now a huge point guy and pasta thankfully should provide enough scoring
The other 2 are coyle and marchy who's is 34 coming off 3 surgeries this off season
I don't have a top six we are going to have to mix and match with someone that's not suited for top six role that in itself is going to be a very hard role for them to fill and what if one of those top five get it hurt for any extended amount of time? I think the regular season we have enough to win 3-2 2-1 most games
But the playoffs as we know are two different animals so where is our scoring going to come from? I think relying on these Providence guys is a big mistake you may hit on one but to count on more than that is really setting yourself up the fail I am however hopeful we can find a way to score enough and everyone stays healthy and we get lucky you're going to need that regardless of the roster you have just curious to see what other people think
Marchand is 36 my friend, I am sure his injuries had something to do with his play at times last year, but do brush aside the age factor creeping in also. Donnie should be out seeking a scorer for this year, but also must be planning on a replacement for Marchand. I am saying to be a a$$ hole but it should be a concern.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I don't think there's any question that we could use another sniper in the top 6 but that's what happens when you don't have high first round picks. If Lysell isn't up to the task we might be offensively challenged at times and we will win more games 2-1 than 6-5. Is what it is and has been that way for quite a while.

People are often saying "to replace DeBrusk" but they have to remember he had MANY cold streaks and the team was fine all the same. Let's just hope we dominate in the bottom 6, win the close ones and if we can get a good PP going with what we have we will be just fine.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I think Brad has always been relatively accountable for his actions.

I don't see an Ulf Samuelson or Claude Lemieux.

I don't think he's a sparky. That is, an arsonist who starts fires and then runs away.

I'm curious as to what others think here.

We here at HF Bruins central have asked numerous posters who claim Marchand doesn't answer for his antics to accept the old YouTube Challenge - Find a video where Marchand throws a cheapshot, then is challenged and refuses to fight. Aside from the Lars Eller stupidity, which he turned down because there was no reason to give a moron who buzzed the bench in a blowout a chance to redeem himself, not one person could find an example of Marchand turtling, or even refusing to fight.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
We here at HF Bruins central have asked numerous posters who claim Marchand doesn't answer for his antics to accept the old YouTube Challenge - Find a video where Marchand throws a cheapshot, then is challenged and refuses to fight. Aside from the Lars Eller stupidity, which he turned down because there was no reason to give a moron who buzzed the bench in a blowout a chance to redeem himself, not one person could find an example of Marchand turtling, or even refusing to fight.

I'm guessing you guys get tired of my repeated comparisons of Brad to the great Ted Lindsay.

Think about it:

Both undersized; both left shooting left wings; both exceptionally talented; and both willing to do anything - *anything* - to win.

Lindsay was nicknamed Scarface. Take a look at his face and you'll see why.

More famously, he was referred to as Terrible Ted.

A four-time Stanley Cup champion with the Detroit Red Wings (three as Captain), member of Detroit's legendary "Production Line" along with fellow future Hall of Famers Gordie Howe, Sid Abel and later, Alex Delvecchio, Lindsay also won the Art Ross trophy as the league's top scorer in 1949-50.

He was hated, vehemently, in every NHL barn save Detroit's Olympia stadium.

In 2010, the NHLPA renamed the Lester Pearson Award for outstanding player in the regular season the Ted Lindsay Award, as voted on by members of the Players Association.

Retiring in 1965, Lindsay was voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame a year later, but refused to attend the ceremony. At that time, women and family members were not allowed to attend. The policy was changed shortly thereafter.

Brad Marchand, his contemporaries and generations of players previous have Ted Lindsay to thank for their hefty contracts, medical care and pensions.

In 1957, Lindsay attempted to form the first ever NHL Players Association. For this he was exiled to the then basement dwelling Chicago Blackhawks by Detroit's tyrannical and tempestuous General Manager, Jack Adams.

As far as I know, Brad has not founded any unions.

Aside from that, the comparison is apt.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgatie and Gordoff

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Our top six scored 159 goals last year, largely due a 47 goal season from Pasty.
I do not think Marchy can duplicate his 29 goals, should be good for 25 at the most.
Lindholm will make up the 19 goals we lost in JDB.
Brazeau / Poitras can more than double their output ( 10 goals) to make up for Heinen's 17 goals.
We will need TF and MG to duplicate their seasons and we should be better offensively.
Hopefully our 4th liners can pop around 35 goals this year combined.
Our defense will be much improved this year and should translate into more scoring as the puck will be in the offensive zone more this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad